SEC 1L Honors vs NY AG Lit Bureau

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
palalc

New

SEC 1L Honors vs NY AG Lit Bureau

Postby palalc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Trying to decide between a position in the SEC 1L Honors Program (Enforcement NY or International Affairs DC - prefer to stay in NY) and the NY AG Litigation Bureau. Leaning towards litigation long-term at this point, but nothing is set in stone. Does anyone have any experience with either internship? Which would be better for practical experience? For OCI? I'd Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Wild Card

Bronze

Re: SEC 1L Honors vs NY AG Lit Bureau

Postby Wild Card » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:38 pm

I had a wonderful time at the SEC (NYRO). My supervisor tried to get me on as many kinds of cases as possible, and I got to see and do everything that an intern could. Plus, the location is unbeatable. It's inside a posh mall and by the waterfront.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 pm

The NY AG litigation bureau is entirely defensive. All they do is defend state agencies when they get sued. The cool affirmative stuff (securities/financial enforcement under the Martin Act, suing the Trump administration over the myriad things the NY AG sues the Trump administration over) happens in the subject-specific bureaus. Unless you want to do that defensive work, instead of the financial enforcement or suing the Trump administration that most people think of when they think of the NY AG, go SEC.

palalc

New

Postby palalc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:07 pm

What about the FDIC? Any thoughts on an internship there compared to the other two?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Wild Card wrote:I had a wonderful time at the SEC (NYRO). My supervisor tried to get me on as many kinds of cases as possible, and I got to see and do everything that an intern could. Plus, the location is unbeatable. It's inside a posh mall and by the waterfront.

+1 on SEC, I really liked the majority of my matters and I was encouraged to speak up about what I wanted to work on. In terms of OCI help, I've found that working at the SEC allowed me to speak more credibly about having a interest in private equity/funds work. Depending on your background learning a bit more about securities can't hurt. FWIW, perhaps unjustifiably, people seem to think working for the SEC is fancy and you'll definitely walk away with a few good writing samples and experience sitting in on witness interviews and the like. Can't recommend it enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 pm

If your goal is biglaw, go to the place with the most former biglaw associates so that you can learn about the different firms and, if you're lucky, get them to make a call for you. That's 100% not the NYAG Litigation Bureau. It's also not NYAG Investor Protection, which enforces the Martin Act.

I can't speak to the FDIC, but I worked at both the SEC and NYAG Investor Protection and think the SEC was far better experience and better for my long-term career prospects. I had below-standard grades for the firm I joined after law school and believe my job is directly attributable to a call that an alumnus of that firm made for me after I worked with him at the SEC.

palalc

New

Postby palalc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:28 pm

How much should the State vs Fed position factor into the calculation? There seems to be a clear hierarchy at least among other 1Ls, but I'm not sure how realistic that is in terms of OCI hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:29 am

palalc wrote:How much should the State vs Fed position factor into the calculation? There seems to be a clear hierarchy at least among other 1Ls, but I'm not sure how realistic that is in terms of OCI hiring.

There was a clear hierarchy when I was a 1L as well, and in my experience it was one of the small number of instances where the 1L conventional wisdom was correct.

If your goal is to work in BigLaw, I think the SEC is more likely to be useful experience for you. This is not because of the substance of the work -- though, to be clear, I think I got more substantive work at the SEC than at NYAG -- but because you're more likely to work with a BigLaw alum who will make a call for you before OCI. This isn't to say that working at the NYAG will hurt you -- nobody is going to look down their nose at you because you worked there, and I doubt anybody interviewing you at OCI will care -- but it won't be as helpful for getting a BigLaw job because you won't interact with the right people who can call recruiting for you.

boardcookies

New

Postby boardcookies » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Wild Card wrote:I had a wonderful time at the SEC (NYRO). My supervisor tried to get me on as many kinds of cases as possible, and I got to see and do everything that an intern could. Plus, the location is unbeatable. It's inside a posh mall and by the waterfront.

I would normally PM you for a question like this, but for some reason I can't, and it's possible my question will be relevant to OP's decision. I'll be interning at the SEC (NYRO) in Enforcement this summer, and was wondering what you might recommend as far as getting yourself involved in interesting work. I've heard people have wildly different experiences at the SEC (substantive stuff vs. rearranging files on a computer), and was wondering if you had any tips on navigating the bureaucracy as an intern.

I also have no background in accounting and only some experience in reading complex financial documents. Anything you would recommend I do as far as preparing?

Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment�