Indianapolis Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Indianapolis Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:55 am

I'd appreciate any insight into the bigger Indianapolis firms (Ice Miller, Barnes & Thornburg, Faegre, Taft) or other Indy firms I may not be thinking about for a potential lateral move. I'm hoping to gather information regarding salary scale, culture, pros/cons, etc. Currently a junior biglaw associate (think 3rd-4th year) in a major market.

I'd prefer not to provide too much information in this post, but would be happy to PM with anyone that may be able to help. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Anonymous User

Re: Indianapolis Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Have friends at FBD Indy who like it quite a bit. Barnes’ reputation is that it’s much more conservative (perhaps stuffy) and a little tougher hours-wise, but that’s second-hand - I only know one person there and reputation holds up. Ice: only second-hand info, but reputation is definitely that it’s not great to associates relative to those other two (I *think* they have a strong record of no-offering summers).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 am

OP here - thanks for the response. I'll give this one bump and then let it go. I'd appreciate any salary scale info that is available or further discussion of the bigger Indy firms' cultures, especially corporate groups - hard to find online.

Thanks again in advance for any insight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:43 am

I also have heard (from a few associates at a different firm, and from a former Barnes partner) that Barnes is a bit tougher on hours (and also has a tougher path to partnership) than other Indy firms.

Also want to bump this for more info, as Indianapolis is a market in which I too am interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:36 am

I worked at an Indy firm not listed my 1L summer 2 years ago. This article is still accurate re: salary https://www.ibj.com/articles/59791-not- ... ack-on-pay

My best guess in terms of 3-4 yr. associate salary in Indy is 130k based on the salaries of those I worked with. Barnes is very much tougher on hours. They fashion themselves a BigLaw firm despite being in Indy. The hours aren’t as grueling as NYC, but if you’re looking for a break from BigLaw Barnes is not it as it’s closer to BigLaw than the other Indy firms listed.

That said, Barnes and Ice probably have the largest corporate groups of any firm in Indy. I don’t know much about Ice culture, but a lot of ppl left my 1L firm for FBD and seem to like it for what it’s worth. Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:50 pm

PM me if you have Qs read Indy firms, especially IM or Barnes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at an Indy firm not listed my 1L summer 2 years ago. This article is still accurate re: salary https://www.ibj.com/articles/59791-not- ... ack-on-pay

My best guess in terms of 3-4 yr. associate salary in Indy is 130k based on the salaries of those I worked with. Barnes is very much tougher on hours. They fashion themselves a BigLaw firm despite being in Indy. The hours aren’t as grueling as NYC, but if you’re looking for a break from BigLaw Barnes is not it as it’s closer to BigLaw than the other Indy firms listed.

That said, Barnes and Ice probably have the largest corporate groups of any firm in Indy. I don’t know much about Ice culture, but a lot of ppl left my 1L firm for FBD and seem to like it for what it’s worth. Hope this helps.
That article is not still accurate regarding salary. Market rate is now 120k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked at an Indy firm not listed my 1L summer 2 years ago. This article is still accurate re: salary https://www.ibj.com/articles/59791-not- ... ack-on-pay

That article is not still accurate regarding salary. Market rate is now 120k.
I know FBD raised to 120. Ice and Barnes matched?

In general, Indy and other smaller market salaries are significantly more compressed than big cities. Even the highest paid senior associates at the various Indy firms likely have base salaries less than $200k, with mid-five figure bonus opportunities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”