401(k) max question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

401(k) max question

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:10 pm

I was just reading something about highly compensated employees having limits on 401(k) contributions. Do I have to worry about this? The HCE salary is 120k. Not sure how it all works, but everyone on here always talks about maxing contributions, so I don’t think I have to worry. But could someone please explain why?

My firm has two different plans, one for associates and one for partners/staff, I think,

LHS17

Bronze

Re: 401(k) max question

Post by LHS17 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was just reading something about highly compensated employees having limits on 401(k) contributions. Do I have to worry about this? The HCE salary is 120k. Not sure how it all works, but everyone on here always talks about maxing contributions, so I don’t think I have to worry. But could someone please explain why?

My firm has two different plans, one for associates and one for partners/staff, I think,
This is a very easy topic to google. That said, unless you're living somewhere like New York, you should really try to put away the $18,500 maximum per year. They deduct this from your gross salary so the short-term hit on a net basis is more like $1k per month. As to why? Compounded returns.

At a bare minimum, you should absolutely contribute any amount the employer is willing to match. That equates to a 100% return on investment, which would be a wild annual return in any market.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Agree with the above and I think maxing the 401k is the right decision even without employer match if you can afford to do this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:41 pm

Think I should clarify my question.

I know how 401k generally works but read somewhere that HCE are limited to a certain %. How do all these associates max out then if they’re considered HCE? Do firms just give low-paid staff insane profit sharing to make up for the difference?

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Think I should clarify my question.

I know how 401k generally works but read somewhere that HCE are limited to a certain %. How do all these associates max out then if they’re considered HCE? Do firms just give low-paid staff insane profit sharing to make up for the difference?
I don't really understand the question, but I was able to put away $18,500 working at an investment bank making well in excess of that.

Any percentage my employer communicated to me related to company match, which is discretionary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dtlaatty

New

Post by dtlaatty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:51 pm

I've never heard of this. The $18,500 limit is not linked to income. Are you thinking of the tax deduction phase-out for IRAs?
Anonymous User wrote:Think I should clarify my question.

sucsuroc

New

Post by sucsuroc » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was just reading something about highly compensated employees having limits on 401(k) contributions. Do I have to worry about this? The HCE salary is 120k. Not sure how it all works, but everyone on here always talks about maxing contributions, so I don’t think I have to worry. But could someone please explain why?

While you are correct that you are an HCE, that's only the first step of the analysis. So long as HCEs don't defer considerably more of their income than non-HCEs (specifics of the test are in the links below), your contributions are not limited. This is a plan-level compliance issue and your firm is, or should be, monitoring it. In the unlikely event that they mess this up, they'll return excess contributions to you.

Note that in the case of your firm, associates are all part of the same plan and, assuming your firm pays market, every member of that plan is an HCE. This would seem to make it difficult to fail the tests.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/40 ... tion-tests
https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/pl ... efinitions
http://www.401khelpcenter.com/401k_educ ... rules.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”