Denied from 1L SA, what about 2L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Denied from 1L SA, what about 2L?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:02 pm

So I thought I had a good CB but guess it wasn’t good enough - does not getting a 1L SA at a firm indicate anything for the chances for a 2L SA?

cj_dawhg713

New

Re: Denied from 1L SA, what about 2L?

Post by cj_dawhg713 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 pm

Getting dinged for a 1L SA indicates little to nothing about future opportunities at the firm, in my experience

Speaking from personal experience, i was dinged at the screener stage during OCI for a 1L SA -- Cold emailed them over the summer and got another screener. The interviewer was impressed that I was willing to come back (showed interest in the firm, and not taking "no" for an answer) -- ended up with a call back and offer.

If you're interested in the firm apply again

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I thought I had a good CB but guess it wasn’t good enough - does not getting a 1L SA at a firm indicate anything for the chances for a 2L SA?
A ton of friends who got denied from 1L SA parleyed them into pre-OCI interviews and offers. The standards are just ridiculously higher for 1L positions.

quanteniacma

New

Post by quanteniacma » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:37 pm

I had top10% grades after my first semester. Did a CB at my dream firm for a 1L SA, got dinged.

Grades dropped to around top30% during OCI. Did a CB at the same firm, got offered, summered there, got a return offer.

In general, 1L SAs are incredibly competitive because of the very few spots available. If you're interested, definitely apply again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”