Elite lit boutiques in Boston? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Elite lit boutiques in Boston?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering what firms Boston-based TLSers thought constituted elite boutique firms. There are many 30-50 person lit firms around, and it can be tough to distinguish them at a glance. Would help to have a list of like a handful of “elite” ones.

I’m talking firms that pay at or near market, get involved in white collar investigations, where many have federal clerkships and/or biglaw in their background, and where a usao might hire out of.

Thanks

KM2016

Bronze

Re: Elite lit boutiques in Boston?

Post by KM2016 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 pm

It's bigger than the 30-50 lawyer benchmark you mentioned, but Choate Hall is pretty elite in Boston in terms of lit.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Collora was a good one, but now they’re Hogan Lovells

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 pm

2013 wrote:Collora was a good one, but now they’re Hogan Lovells
OP here. I’m talking a former peer of collora. Todd and weld? Libby hoopes? Link kavenaugh? Demeo? Just names I’ve heard floated. Anybody know anything about them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Also wondering about this. Anyone got any insight? Google is very unhelpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:11 pm

Boston is definitely tougher to separate these firms compared to say, nyc. I’ll give it a shot based on anecdotal knowledge

First, you have choate and nutter. These are firms that are market (choate) or in the general market ballpark (nutter) that generally pull people with good pedigrees and compete with the local biglaw firms. The difference, of course, is that they are not technically biglaw. Choate has major boston office only; nutter has major Boston office and then one on the cape or something.

Then for much smaller firms, Libby hoopes and Donnelly conroy gelhaar are probably in their own tier in this category, particularly for white collar stuff.

Todd and weld is a step behind them. Word on the street is that Todd and weld had the opportunity to really step it up and be the next Collora after hogan bought collora and some partners went to Todd and weld. Todd and weld has some great attorneys with great pedigrees (top14 or Bu/bc and/or fedclerk/sjc and/or top biglaw on res). That said, for some reason Todd and weld continues to hire attorneys with much more mediocre pedigrees—junior people from tt ttt tttt schools, or shitlaw refugees, or former low level adas from state district court without anything particularly notable on their resumes. If Todd and weld wants to compete with the big firms, as collora did, they really need to up their baseline hiring standards and probably, correspondingly, their pay.

After that, you have a handful of firms like demeo, konn kavanaug, prince Lobell, and one or two others whose names are escaping me.

Then you have basically everything else with a general gradual slide into total shitlaw. Basically in boston if the litigators are litigating, with any regularity, in the state’s district court, their firm constitutes shitlaw (with some exceptions, I’m sure, as there are occasional examples of ropes attorneys going down there to take cases from exceptionally high paying clients).

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”