Being pushed out?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Being pushed out??

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 pm

What are some signs that you are being pushed out of a firm? Would an employer rather have you leave willingly instead of firing you?

Feeling very down today.

Thank you.

Anonymous User

Re: Being pushed out??

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are some signs that you are being pushed out of a firm? Would an employer rather have you leave willingly instead of firing you?

Feeling very down today.

Thank you.
The most obvious sign is that other people at your level are getting work and good assignments and you aren't. That's a big hint.

If you have a talk with a partner about your hours, etc., even if they swear up and down they're not asking you to leave, they're asking you to leave. Often times this will happen under the guise of just checking in or seeing if anything's wrong. The firm knows what they're doing and it's mostly a ruse so they can say a month or two later that you knew it was coming.

Then they'll just straight up ask you to leave and give you a hard deadline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks for your response.

I think I’m going to start looking elsewhere.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for your response.

I think I’m going to start looking elsewhere.
What are you basing your conclusions on? I think it's very common for attorneys to get worked up about how they are being forced out when there are other, more common and more benign explanations. Your group might be slow, partners may be trying to integrate a new associate, etc.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are some signs that you are being pushed out of a firm? Would an employer rather have you leave willingly instead of firing you?

Feeling very down today.

Thank you.
The most obvious sign is that other people at your level are getting work and good assignments and you aren't. That's a big hint.

If you have a talk with a partner about your hours, etc., even if they swear up and down they're not asking you to leave, they're asking you to leave. Often times this will happen under the guise of just checking in or seeing if anything's wrong. The firm knows what they're doing and it's mostly a ruse so they can say a month or two later that you knew it was coming.

Then they'll just straight up ask you to leave and give you a hard deadline.
I think the bolded statement is too broad. If you do good work, don't decline work, get good reviews, and are well-liked, you can usually survive a few months of low hours in a row. If not? Well, all bets are off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”