Manhattan ADA: how long until Investigation Division? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Manhattan ADA: how long until Investigation Division?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Does anyone know how long an ADA has to be at the Manhattan ADA before they work in the Investigation Division? Their website says that after gaining some experience, ADAs can work in this division.

Anonymous User

Re: Manhattan ADA: how long until Investigation Division?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:58 pm

Depends on which part of the Investigations Division. When I was in the office, ADAs sometimes transferred to "Special Pros," now called Financial Frauds, after 3 years. Moves to Major Economic Crimes/Rackets typically took 5-7 years. Relatively junior ADAs who were really into cybercrime went there sometimes as early as 2-4 years. It really depends on staffing, interests and your reputation. That said, I think the investigative units are a lot less exciting than they sound.

There are also some folks who go to the violent crime-focused investigative units that maybe technically aren't part of the Investigations Division but do really exciting work. VCEU and SIB come to mind, and transfers to those units tend to be based on relationships and reputation more than anything else in my opinion. They can happen earlier in your tenure if the right people like you.

Anonymous User

Re: Manhattan ADA: how long until Investigation Division?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Typically 3-5 years when I was in the office. Lower end for Special Pros (now renamed something different), and a little longer for MECB and Rackets. Depends a lot on staffing needs and your reputation. The investigation division is perceived as boring by a lot of ADAs, so the competition isnt that fierce.

There are also some violent-crime focused investigative units that are fantastic but small (like VCEU and SIB). Transfers to these units tend to be idiosyncratic and based more on relationships and experience. In my opinion, they are some of the most exciting places to be, and highly sought after by a small group of really good trial prosecutors. They don't open up often, but if the people who head them want you in they can grab you pretty early usually. If they don't like you then forget about it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”