Small boutique shop/firm -> Big Law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
paperrev

New

Small boutique shop/firm -> Big Law?

Post by paperrev » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Hello. I am currently working in a temp position in-house at a company, I was recently invited to interview for a position in a small boutique shop (<10 attorneys) that deals with a lot of start-ups. Even though I am desperate for a job right now, I would still like to get a sense of what my exit options would be should I choose to leave. Though I struck out of big law during law school, I was wondering whether that could be a possibility some time down the road, or whether I'll just be stuck in smaller shops/in-house positions. In terms of school stats, I went to a T9 law school, grades kinda sucked cuz of family issues that happened at the time, and couldn't really grab my bearings until now. I know it will be a very tough road ahead of me, but I just kind of want to get a sense of how tough it will be (the reason being I am waiting on a lead for a different position as well, but prob won't find out about that for a while).

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Re: Small boutique shop/firm -> Big Law?

Post by RobertGolddust » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Why are you dead set on big law? If you are solely interested in money (b/c why else do big law?) there are other ways to make it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:23 pm

To be very, very honest, and I know this is kind of a silly reason, but I guess I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder for not making it the first time around. I really worked my butt off during school, and seeing all my friends make it into that sector while striking out... it hurts a little. So yeah, even though this might be a trivial pride issue, I'd still like to give it a try.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To be very, very honest, and I know this is kind of a silly reason, but I guess I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder for not making it the first time around. I really worked my butt off during school, and seeing all my friends make it into that sector while striking out... it hurts a little. So yeah, even though this might be a trivial pride issue, I'd still like to give it a try.
I had a similar experience. Had the grades for biglaw but struck out for a variety of reasons. Worked at a smaller 25 attorney firm in a litigation niche that is practiced at large law firms. After a year and a half i just accepted an offer at a large law firm. It will be similar hours and a lot more money. My understanding from talking to a recruiter is that if you are in a practice area of need you’ll have a chance at breaking into a big firm even if you struck out originally. If you’re in like general commeracial litigation or something though it would be tougher.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 am

Can you expand on which practices areas generally have a consistent need for new people??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can you expand on which practices areas generally have a consistent need for new people??
You could keep an eye out on gobiglaw.com. It shows lateral opportunities so just occasionally search the market you plan on working in and that should give you at least somewhat of an idea of the common openings.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:22 pm

ERISA, IP, Healthcare, Tax

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Honestly, if you went to a T-14 you could get an associate gig with any of the "big law firms" in my mid market legal community, especially if you have a year or two experience.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:07 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Honestly, if you went to a T-14 you could get an associate gig with any of the "big law firms" in my mid market legal community, especially if you have a year or two experience.
Mind sharing which market? Just curious

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:12 am

No.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:18 am

I do emerging growth/start-ups practice in So Cal. If you go to a boutique and get good experience, you will have opportunities in big law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”