Any other spouses of medical students/doctors out there? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dgc2016

New

Any other spouses of medical students/doctors out there?

Post by dgc2016 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm

My husband is finishing his last year of medical school, and we will soon be finding out where he will be doing residency. If he gets his top choice, we will be spending the first year (a transitional/preliminary year before his specialty training) in City A where I worked as a biglaw summer associate. I have already accepted a job offer with this firm for post-clerkship. It's likely that we will only be in City A for 1 year for my husband's preliminary-year residency. Then, we will likely spend the remaining years of residency in City B. With the way residency start dates and law firm start dates line up, I would probably only be at the law firm in City A for ~10 months before we would have to move for his residency. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm a little nervous about how I'll be received at the firm if they know I'll only be there for 10 months.

KM2016

Bronze

Re: Any other spouses of medical students/doctors out there?

Post by KM2016 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:28 pm

dgc2016 wrote:My husband is finishing his last year of medical school, and we will soon be finding out where he will be doing residency. If he gets his top choice, we will be spending the first year (a transitional/preliminary year before his specialty training) in City A where I worked as a biglaw summer associate. I have already accepted a job offer with this firm for post-clerkship. It's likely that we will only be in City A for 1 year for my husband's preliminary-year residency. Then, we will likely spend the remaining years of residency in City B. With the way residency start dates and law firm start dates line up, I would probably only be at the law firm in City A for ~10 months before we would have to move for his residency. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm a little nervous about how I'll be received at the firm if they know I'll only be there for 10 months.
Don't tell them you'll only be there for 10 months. If you do end up having to move to City B, either ask to switch offices to City B (assuming your firm has an office there), or start applying for jobs in City B several months in advance. Even though lateralling as a first year is uncommon, doing so for geographical reasons and explaining your situation won't raise any eyebrows.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Any other spouses of medical students/doctors out there?

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:21 pm

I doubt that any law firm would hire a new associate for just 10 months.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”