How important is networking before OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How important is networking before OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Went to the definition of a mediocre law school according to the US News rankings. One of the top students at the school struck out at OCI. She ended up having a connection with someone within one of the midsize firms that had originally rejected her. Through this connection, she got a summer associate position there and ended up working there after law school.

This firm that had originally rejected her, took a student with a much less impressive academic record from that OCI (but was also a URM and had the type of personality where she'd interview real well). This student didn't end up working at the firm after law school.

It really can't hurt to reach out, network and show interest as long as you don't have an annoying personality (a stretch for a decent number of law students).

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Prior to OCI I had lunch with alums at two different major local firms and was later offered at both firms. Both were interesting lunches (even though I immediately placed my credit card on the bill thingy, they both insisted on paying). Point, certainly a good idea to reach out.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Another point: attend the pre-OCI mock interviews offered by the big local firms. I received two callbacks that turned into offers through these programs.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:20 pm

In terms of the million biglaw firm meet and greets and information sessions that there are during 1L year, I found that there was no point in attending, very unlikely whoever you interview with during OCI will be same person at those sessions or will remember you. A suppose a benefit is you can name drop someone you met at one of those sessions during Fall OCI, but OCI really comes down to only two things, your grades and how well you interview.

TrustMeImALawStudent

New

Post by TrustMeImALawStudent » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm definitely in the "network a lot" camp! But don't network so much that it detracts from studying. Not specific to OCI, but I got my 1L summer internship just by introducing myself to people at networking events. I didn't even have to look for 1L summer jobs because I secured (a competitive) position just by putting myself out there at cocktail/beer/networking events.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

byrdscales

New

Post by byrdscales » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Speaking as a junior associate at a big firm, I think networking can definitely help you. At the big meet and greets someone mentions above, making a good impression on a junior can get you pointed out to our recruiters, which will give you a leg up in setting up a screener. It can also get you introduced to a partner at the event, who sometimes can put you directly through to a call back, using your conversation at the event as a screener.

Outside of these events, most of what I can do as a junior is pass your information on to our recruiters and say I think you're a good fit. That helps you get a screener, and the more people who say they like you the better your chances are. From there, if your grades are good and you interview decently, you've got a good shot.

Also I think networking helps you deliver your answers to common questions in a conversational way. Your answers to most interview questions *should* be prepared. The should also be delivered totally naturally, not recited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”