If you could go to any firm in the country, where would it be? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If you could go to any firm in the country, where would it be?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 pm

It doesn't have to be Cravath or Watchell. I'm talking environment, city, opportunity, hours, etc. The combination of it overall.

Anonymous User

Re: If you could go to any firm in the country, where would it be?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Holland & Hart or O'melveny & Myers, depending on my age/outlook

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 pm

K&L and Perkins in Seattle

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Skadden is you want to do transactional work

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 am

I wouldn't :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 am

Wherever I feel I will connect best with the people I interviewed with. Or some firm in San Diego.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&L and Perkins in Seattle
K&L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
K&L?
K&L Gates

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
K&L?
K&L Gates
Yea, I got that. Sorry, I meant, "why K&L Gates"? They pay below market, have a weird situation going on with financing and stuff, and are behind the times in personnel management. Why them over F&W, Cooley, WSGR, DLA, DWT, or FP?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Wachtell

throwaway2018

New

Post by throwaway2018 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:31 am

Any market paying firm in Chicago. 180k goes way further there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:13 am

Hueston hennigan Newport Beach

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:26 pm

williams and connolly. easy choice for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hueston hennigan Newport Beach
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
K&L?
K&L Gates
Yea, I got that. Sorry, I meant, "why K&L Gates"? They pay below market, have a weird situation going on with financing and stuff, and are behind the times in personnel management. Why them over F&W, Cooley, WSGR, DLA, DWT, or FP?
Yeah, KL Gates is an odd choice. Curious why you picked them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Wachtell. Doing the most complex work in the corporate practice with some of the smartest people in the country and getting paid handsomely.

Aergia

New

Post by Aergia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Market-paying firm in Austin. It's a great city IMO and cost of living isn't much higher than Houston/Dallas if you rent. I imagine if I gave a shit about law I'd want to go to one of the more nationally prestigious shops, but 'tis just a job for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Aergia wrote:Market-paying firm in Austin. It's a great city IMO and cost of living isn't much higher than Houston/Dallas if you rent. I imagine if I gave a shit about law I'd want to go to one of the more nationally prestigious shops, but 'tis just a job for me.
Just moved from NYC/DC/SF to Austin and was the best decision I ever made. Downtown is getting a little outrageous with apartment costs given you can live in a luxury apartment in downtown Chicago for less than Austin, but I know plenty of people living 10-20 minutes from downtown that are paying less than $1k/month.

It was extremely hard to break in though with very few open positions, most of which aren't even posted anywhere since there's so many people trying to network their way here. Had no Texas ties but hustled for a year and was constantly out here meeting with people only to hear "we just hired someone and likely won't have another opening for at least a year." Ended up taking a non-biglaw job and still have more money than I can reasonably spend.

Houston and Dallas are slightly similar from COL standpoint but no where close to Austin in QOL.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Aergia wrote:Market-paying firm in Austin. It's a great city IMO and cost of living isn't much higher than Houston/Dallas if you rent. I imagine if I gave a shit about law I'd want to go to one of the more nationally prestigious shops, but 'tis just a job for me.
Just moved from NYC/DC/SF to Austin and was the best decision I ever made. Downtown is getting a little outrageous with apartment costs given you can live in a luxury apartment in downtown Chicago for less than Austin, but I know plenty of people living 10-20 minutes from downtown that are paying less than $1k/month.

It was extremely hard to break in though with very few open positions, most of which aren't even posted anywhere since there's so many people trying to network their way here. Had no Texas ties but hustled for a year and was constantly out here meeting with people only to hear "we just hired someone and likely won't have another opening for at least a year." Ended up taking a non-biglaw job and still have more money than I can reasonably spend.

Houston and Dallas are slightly similar from COL standpoint but no where close to Austin in QOL.
Damn that is awesome. I'd take a non big-law job in Austin -- what kind of non-law places even hire former attorneys?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 am

Wachtell

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Yugihoe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Damn that is awesome. I'd take a non big-law job in Austin -- what kind of non-law places even hire former attorneys?
As a Dallas native, I agree that the QOL in Austin is insanely high. And yes, you can live 10–15 minutes outside for a little over 1k/month. I actually prefer being a 5 miles north or so. It's paradise. Congrats on the job!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Holland & Hart or O'melveny & Myers, depending on my age/outlook
as someone that either works or or will work former (H&H), just wondering why you say that? Would it be idiotic to leave a firm like that? Why? Thanks!

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:05 pm

A well regarded firm in Hawai'i, like Carlsmith Ball or Alston Hunt. The pay is much lower than biglaw, but so are the billables and can't complain about the environs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Boies. Same idea as ppl who choose Wachtell, but litigation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
K&L?
K&L Gates
Yeah, KL Gates is an odd choice. Curious why you picked them.
Not the person who picked them. I worked there for several years (not seattle) and this is pretty strange (although the Seattle office is super nice and has some great attorneys). They nickel and dime just about everyone. They seem constantly besieged by departures or other issues. They don't have the prestige or brand recognition of a lot of firms, even in seattle. I will say that since I have left they seemed to not only have weathered the storms but continued to "thrive" in that they are going up in Vault, have good financials, etc. But "pick any firm" level? Not sure I get it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”