When is late "too late" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BOSStongrl

New

When is late "too late"

Post by BOSStongrl » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:27 pm

i’m a 1L and currently have a 3.58 (top 11%) at a T3 in NYC. I have 4 years of experience working in law firms as intern, paralegal, etc. My most recent job I worked for 2.5 years with a company with 100+ lawyers, and worked directly with the SVP. I’ve been EXTREMELY picky with jobs, only applying to paid positions at $20+ an hour (really don’t understand how financial aid expects you to live off the pennies they give out.. but that’s another matter). 

I haven’t heard anything, I know some are still under review but i’m getting nervous. So at what point will, essentially, all legal internships for the summer be filled to the point that it would even be unlikely to get ANY internship? obviously i’m new to this possess, so i’m concerned that if i don’t start applying to every single job posted soon I’ll be screwed and won’t have any position at all. It’s just tough money wise to pay for rent and commuting fees for an unpaid position.

Can anyone offer any insight? is it even likely to get a paid internship? And when should i start worrrying?

cron1834

Gold

Re: When is late "too late"

Post by cron1834 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:36 pm

It's entirely possible that you land a paid summer job. But, coming from a third tier school, you're going to want to run some numbers re: how you can survive without one, because I think that's the probable outcome.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:13 pm

If you're at a T3, you should be more cognizant of that and focus less on your GPA. You are not in a position to be so picky and need to apply broadly. Your work experience makes you more valuable, but there will be lots of other law students in a better position to get jobs than you.

BOSStongrl

New

Post by BOSStongrl » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 pm

hm okay, thanks guys. i think i needed a bit of a slap from reality, i think i was being too optimistic with my past legal experience and GPA. Hoping its just not too late to get a decent unpaid position at this point

Also looking to transfer next year, so your replies and comments about T3 will motivate me to work harder this semester, so thanks again!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”