To-Do List When Quitting Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

To-Do List When Quitting Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm

I plan to quit my BigLaw job in the near future and would like to brainstorm to-do items prior to submitting notice. I have searched related TLS threads and found none with this topic as the focus.

Here are a few to-do items that I have considered thus far:

Future Employment

* Briefly summarize projects on which I have worked (including involvement, deal size, etc.) for future employment searches

* Update resume

* Determine bar requirements for current year and how to fulfill them (if applicable)

* Get contact information from colleagues and clients that you may want to stay in touch with for networking purposes.

Administrative

* Submit outstanding expenses for company reimbursement

* Save login information related to administrative/health/benefit materials (e.g. ADP username/password for future tax filings, healthcare username/passwords, etc.)

Personal

* Schedule and go to needed doctor/dentist appointments

* Copy all personal files and personal emails from company laptop/cell phone

* Transition funds from FSA/HSA/401(k)/etc. (if applicable)

I would love to hear additional recommendations on what to do prior to turning in one's resignation notice. I will update this post with additional suggestions as users comment. Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

v5junior

Bronze

Re: To-Do List When Quitting Biglaw

Post by v5junior » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 pm

* Receive alternative job offer

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:00 am

Be extremely friendly and cooperative with everyone (partners in particular)…..at some point you may want them as references.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:52 am

Get contact information from colleagues and clients that you may want to stay in touch with for networking purposes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Bump for the poster who asked about this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Generate or request list of matters you worked on to allow you to run conflicts if you ever return to a law firm.

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:41 am

If there is someone in the office you have a crush on, it's now or never.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Is it better to quit at the beginning of the week as opposed to say a Wednesday or a Friday? Can't see why it would matter, but just curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Give your regards to staff

Grab coffee with your mentor/ mentee

Turn off your cellphone for at least a week

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I plan to quit my BigLaw job in the near future and would like to brainstorm to-do items prior to submitting notice. I have searched related TLS threads and found none with this topic as the focus.

Here are a few to-do items that I have considered thus far:

Future Employment

* Briefly summarize projects on which I have worked (including involvement, deal size, etc.) for future employment searches

* Update resume

* Determine bar requirements for current year and how to fulfill them (if applicable)

* Get contact information from colleagues and clients that you may want to stay in touch with for networking purposes.

Administrative

* Submit outstanding expenses for company reimbursement

* Save login information related to administrative/health/benefit materials (e.g. ADP username/password for future tax filings, healthcare username/passwords, etc.)

Personal

* Schedule and go to needed doctor/dentist appointments

* Copy all personal files and personal emails from company laptop/cell phone

* Transition funds from FSA/HSA/401(k)/etc. (if applicable)

I would love to hear additional recommendations on what to do prior to turning in one's resignation notice. I will update this post with additional suggestions as users comment. Thanks!
No one cares what you plan on doing once you quit big law...

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:51 am

sparty99 wrote: No one cares what you plan on doing once you quit big law...
Strange, I'm not in BigLaw, but plenty of folk here are and threads about transitioning out are not uncommon. Why wouldn't folk be interested in a ready made to-do list?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 am

albanach wrote:
Strange, I'm not in BigLaw, but plenty of folk here are and threads about transitioning out are not uncommon. Why wouldn't folk be interested in a ready made to-do list?
because you are an adult and its no different then leaving any other job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Generate or request list of matters you worked on to allow you to run conflicts if you ever return to a law firm.
This x1000. The list is so much easier to make when you have access to your emails.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:10 pm

sparty99 wrote:
albanach wrote:
because you are an adult and its no different then leaving any other job.
I'm an adult. Lots of folk on here are K-JD and this may be their first job, and very likely their first proper job that came with a pension, benefits, etc. So the question is reasonable to that extent.

Secondly, it's not like any other job. Things like getting a report of matters for future conflict checks is the sort of thing that could be forgotten and could be helpful down the road. If you've never worked in a licensed profession before, you might not think to update the state bar with your new information.

If you already have all the answers, there's plenty of other threads to read.

waytoplant

New

Post by waytoplant » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Bumping this. Any other thoughts? Especially for someone going in-house from biglaw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it better to quit at the beginning of the week as opposed to say a Wednesday or a Friday? Can't see why it would matter, but just curious.
I know the quoted post was made months ago, but since this thread's been resurrected...

Just give notice at least two weeks in advance of when you want your last day to be. I gave notice on a Friday and left a hair over two weeks later, on a Monday. Don't feel any pressure to give notice or leave at the beginning/end of a calendar week/month or pay period. Firms don't care.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:22 am

If you are a litigator, update all your efiling accounts and make sure to change from your firm emails. Once you lose access to your firm emails, there is no easy to update your information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it better to quit at the beginning of the week as opposed to say a Wednesday or a Friday? Can't see why it would matter, but just curious.
I know the quoted post was made months ago, but since this thread's been resurrected...

Just give notice at least two weeks in advance of when you want your last day to be. I gave notice on a Friday and left a hair over two weeks later, on a Monday. Don't feel any pressure to give notice or leave at the beginning/end of a calendar week/month or pay period. Firms don't care.
How would you recommend leaving in mid-January? I prefer not to give notice before new year's, but am not sure if 1/11 or 1/18 should be the last day. Moving is involved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How would you recommend leaving in mid-January? I prefer not to give notice before new year's, but am not sure if 1/11 or 1/18 should be the last day. Moving is involved.
If you give notice on 1/2, then 2 weeks would be 1/16. You don't have to have your last day be a Friday - as noted above, my last day was a Monday (and it wasn't the end of the month either), and I didn't get any pushback from my firm when I proposed/requested that date.

Further, I don't have anything beyond gut instinct to support this... but my opinion is that, so long as you aren't leaving anyone in the lurch, firms probably wouldn't even care that much if you propose leaving in less than 2 weeks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”