How to let firm know of competing offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to let firm know of competing offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:37 am

Somewhat misleading title, as they already kinda know.

I'm a 1L interviewing for SA's. Waiting on three firms to get back to me before my public interest opportunity expires. Two of the firms definitely know of my deadline since we have been in communication. I told the recruiting partner at the third firm during our interview about the timeline, but have not heard back from them since. Offer is set to expire in two days and haven't heard from any of them...do I need to remind firm number three, or do you think they know and probably just aren't going to give me an offer?

TEIAM

Bronze

Re: How to let firm know of competing offer?

Post by TEIAM » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhat misleading title, as they already kinda know.

I'm a 1L interviewing for SA's. Waiting on three firms to get back to me before my public interest opportunity expires. Two of the firms definitely know of my deadline since we have been in communication. I told the recruiting partner at the third firm during our interview about the timeline, but have not heard back from them since. Offer is set to expire in two days and haven't heard from any of them...do I need to remind firm number three, or do you think they know and probably just aren't going to give me an offer?
If you'd prefer the third firm, there is no harm in telling them that they are your top choice but you have an expiring offer. Reach out to the recruiter though, not the partner.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:44 am

Send am email to your HR contact over there letting them know that you have another offer on the table which is set to expire.

You should make a decision on whether you're willing to let the PI opportunity expire too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:46 am

minnbills wrote:Send am email to your HR contact over there letting them know that you have another offer on the table which is set to expire.

You should make a decision on whether you're willing to let the PI opportunity expire too.
How would I word that? "I told XYZ partner about the expiring offer, but I wanted you to know..."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:27 pm

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ganlan

New

Post by ganlan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Tell them that they are your top choice but you have an expiring offer in X days in more and better words.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:27 pm

ganlan wrote:Tell them that they are your top choice but you have an expiring offer in X days in more and better words.
+ 1

Just be respectful and don't have any typos. It's perfectly reasonable to let them know you have another offer but that you really want to work for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:38 pm

ganlan wrote:Tell them that they are your top choice but you have an expiring offer in X days in more and better words.
I don't know if they are my top choice, but I'd be extremely happy to work there and could see myself working there longterm. And I'm assuming that the other two firms probably are not going to give me an offer.

A firm would likely not give someone an offer and let them have less than 48 hours to decide (due to the expiring offer), right? Does this interpretation make sense?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I don't know if they are my top choice, but I'd be extremely happy to work there and could see myself working there longterm. And I'm assuming that the other two firms probably are not going to give me an offer.

A firm would likely not give someone an offer and let them have less than 48 hours to decide (due to the expiring offer), right? Does this interpretation make sense?

Well if you don't think the other two firms are going to offer you than it is your top choice. I wouldn't push for an offer that you're not prepared to accept on the spot of the offer. When looking for 2L SA I was in this position with regards to an offer from my 1L SA firm. I was given a deadline by 1L SA firm, and told 2L firm I needed a decision but would accept if offered, they offered and I accepted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”