1L Summer: State Supreme Court internship vs. State AG's Office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NonTrad82

New

1L Summer: State Supreme Court internship vs. State AG's Office

Post by NonTrad82 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:32 am

Seeking the wisdom of the crowd here (Couldn't find this exact question answered anywhere on TLS).

Which of the following two 1L Summer job offers is "better" and why:

1.) Paid, full-time job with state AG's office, or
2.) Unpaid full-time judicial internship at State Supreme Court.

Here is some more relevant info:
I want to stay in the state; I want to work for state/local gov't (general counsel?) or the courts when I graduate; I am financially able to work w/o pay for the summer; I am trying to consider both near and long term value of these jobs for my skill-set and for my resume.

Anything helps--would love to hear a variety of opinions on this. Thanks!

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Re: 1L Summer: State Supreme Court internship vs. State AG's Office

Post by ExperssioUnius » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 am

The answer is somewhat dependent on (1) what state you are in; (2) whether the judicial internship in the court's general staff office or in chambers; and (3) if the internship is in chambers, whether the judge you'd be interning for has a history of hiring former interns/is respected by his or her other justices. Additionally, whether a clerkship is a realistic goal depends on your school/stats. That all said, all of the above being even, if you are interested in working for the courts or clerking, I'd opt for the internship. The judicial internship may open up doors for a clerkship in ways that the State AG job may not and it will generally enhance your resume for a future state job (either during 2L summer or after law school).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”