3.1 at lower T13 (1L)---is it hopeless? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.1 at lower T13 (1L)---is it hopeless?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 pm

So I got a 3.1 at lower T13. Assuming it stays around there this semester, how screwed am I at OCI?

I have a great summer job (fortunately) and consider myself a good interviewer...but am I pretty depressed I sucked so much on my exams.

Also, how do I deal with my inherent inferiority complex of knowing my classmates are going to top vault firms when I anticipate struggling for anything?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheoO

Silver

Re: 3.1 at Duke (1L)---is it hopeless?

Post by TheoO » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Why would it stay around there? A lot of people struggle with the first semester. You finished it, you know have some experience taking exams, and you can use that to study better for spring. Review exams, get tips from upper years around you on the professors you have and try and study smarter. There’s no reason why you can’t do better next semester. It’s not over, and don’t get yourself down. Fall is done, put the grades behind you and move on. You can definitely pick up and do much better with proper planning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:02 pm

You'll be fine. Things tend to even out a bit after the second semester. I had similar grades after my first semester at a peer school, but I was able to get my grades up to the mid 3.2 range by the end of 1L, which was good enough for a great firm job. Just figure out what you did wrong, what you did well, and how you can improve this semester. Sure you might not end up at the #1 vault firm or whatever, but no one cares what firm anyone else goes to and firm rankings are meaningless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 pm

OP here. Thanks.

I do feel I can improve. I talked to professors, and I see my errors. I am just so surprised my minor errors ended up costing me a large GPA chunk. It is a sucky feeling to know my classmates did so much better than I did. And I know the material well...I just need to focus up on exams.

I will likely improve. I want to know my expectations going in in a worst-case scenario.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 pm

There's plenty of 3.0 Duke bros in biglaw. If you can interview well and avoid punitive grades you've still got a shot at the big leagues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 am

OP, I am a 2L at Duke and finished my 1L with a 3.1 GPA. Ended up with four biglaw offers. Here is my thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=278681.

Read it and take that thread's advice to heart. More importantly, don't beat yourself up. 1L is full of artificial stresses ... despite what it seems like, this is not at all fatal. You basically have a B+ average at a top, nationally respected and very prestigious school. Thousands of law students would kill to be in your position. Also, do your best to not stress about how you did relative to peers -- more people are in this position than you realize. These grades are ZERO indication of your intelligence/aptitude for lawyering.

Also, this is only round one. Try to improve this semester. If you do (and that is likely), great! Even if you don't, you will be more than okay.

Finally, speak discretely with your LEAD fellow and/or DBA mentor. They have the tools to help you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:52 am

Thank you. I will do those things.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: 3.1 at lower T13 (1L)---is it hopeless?

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote: Also, how do I deal with my inherent inferiority complex of knowing my classmates are going to top vault firms when I anticipate struggling for anything?
This shoul be the last thought on your mind. Expunge this bile from your system quickly. Once it takes hold, it brings unnecessary negative energy into every pRt of your life. In this profession, there’s always someone with *more* than you to measure themselves by—so focus on your own situation and happiness, and fuck the rest.

(Also, a firm’s “vault” ranking is meaningless)

Law 202x

New

Post by Law 202x » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:52 am

Just wait until your 180 comes in. Then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I got a 3.1 at lower T13. Assuming it stays around there this semester, how screwed am I at OCI?

I have a great summer job (fortunately) and consider myself a good interviewer...but am I pretty depressed I sucked so much on my exams.

Also, how do I deal with my inherent inferiority complex of knowing my classmates are going to top vault firms when I anticipate struggling for anything?
I want to feel inferior before them, but I can't, because I still have no idea what it takes to do well on a law exam. If we were playing on an even playing field, I would feel thoroughly humiliated, but I have no idea why I suck so much, so I don't know how to feel.

Also, the vast majority of my classmates are extremely uncivil, unpleasant, nasty people, so I'm not impressed that they're going to Davis Polk or Paul, Weiss, etc. In fact, I question why those firms would hire such socially deviant people, even with their good grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:16 pm

Finished my 1L year with a 3.15 at a T10. Ended up Big Law in NYC. It's doable. Many others in my shoes also got jobs by interviewing with less selective firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:54 pm

3.1 at the end of 1L.

Got a 4.2 (lots of A+s) during 2L.

Struck out at OCI but got a biglaw summer during Winter finals from a late hiring firm.

It can be done! Just study your arse off for this second round of finals, and make sure to take classes that play to your strengths 2L. You got this. No, you're not going to join Cravath or Wachtell or Boies. That's OK!!! You're gonna pull this out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”