Is it possible to go from ADA in a large metropolitan office to BigLaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it possible to go from ADA in a large metropolitan office to BigLaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Just curious.

I want to get a lot of prosecutorial experience because it interests me. But at the same time, I want to have private sector exit options that are not small plaintiff's firms. What can I do to make sure I stay an attractive candidate for BigLaw throughout my career?

FWIW I am in a large market (probably the largest one). Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Is it possible to go from ADA in a large metropolitan office to BigLaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 pm

be an attractive biglaw candidate before you go to a DA's office (school, grades)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Makes sense. So if one is already an attractive BL candidate (t-14, excellent grades), you'd have an easier time getting into BL post-ADA. Whoda thunk it. :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:01 pm

Handle big, high profile cases of the kind that big firms handle (eg. white collar stuff). You're going to have to be at a DA's office quite a while (7+ years minimum) before you'd have anything on your resume that big firms would be interested in.

If you were hoping to just do your 3 years then jump, it's not happening. You'd probably be better off going DA --> AUSA --> big firm, then trying to jump there straight from a DA's office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:49 pm

I went from big ADA office (top 5 largest) to small firm to biglaw. It felt like it was impossible to go straight from ADA to biglaw, so I had to make a year stop at a small firm. Went something like two years as an ADA, one year small firm (boutique practice focusing on one area) then biglaw for the same practice area.

I would not recommend going ADA first if you want to do biglaw. I imagine it’s easier to go biglaw first then ADA, especially in the bigger metro areas because they, unfortunately, care about prestige just like firms.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I went from big ADA office (top 5 largest) to small firm to biglaw. It felt like it was impossible to go straight from ADA to biglaw, so I had to make a year stop at a small firm. Went something like two years as an ADA, one year small firm (boutique practice focusing on one area) then biglaw for the same practice area.

I would not recommend going ADA first if you want to do biglaw. I imagine it’s easier to go biglaw first then ADA, especially in the bigger metro areas because they, unfortunately, care about prestige just like firms.
It’ll be hard with a federal clerkship, but potentially doable with good networking and some luck. Without a clerkship, I could see it being nearly impossible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”