USAO SDNY/EDNY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
inevitable510

New

USAO SDNY/EDNY

Post by inevitable510 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 am

Has anyone heard from the USAO for either SDNY or EDNY? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: USAO SDNY/EDNY

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:36 am

I interviewed but haven’t heard :( you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 am

Applied but no interview, do your mind sharing school stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:19 pm

MVP, at median

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Why does EDNY have a 2 part application process (sending resume/cover first and then receiving their application via mail second? -- https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/assis ... -positions). Is there any significance behind receiving their application after I send in my resume (I am aware that you can just easily download the application online too)?

Can anyone talk more about their hiring process? Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MantisToboggan

New

Post by MantisToboggan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 pm

I interviewed with EDNY in early January and was offered Jan. 10. I had until the end of the month to accept/reject. I know some people were done with the SDNY process in early January (not me).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Applied but no interview, do your mind sharing school stats?
I went to a shitty second tier east coast law school, clerked for a nearby but non-SDNY district court judge, clerked for a non 2d Circuit or DC Circuit COA, spent 3 years at a v30ish firm that’s not in NYC. I got an interview where they basically asked me why NYC for 40 minutes and then sent a form rejection.

Bright lights will inspire you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:24 pm

MantisToboggan wrote:I interviewed with EDNY in early January and was offered Jan. 10. I had until the end of the month to accept/reject. I know some people were done with the SDNY process in early January (not me).
Just to clarify, was your third-round interview in early January?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45 pm

This is all AUSA positions, right?

I have applied to 30+ offices and got three interviews. Realizing that my odds aren’t really ever going to increase as my credentials will stay the same (median MVP, non sdny d ct clerk, non 2/9 clerk, v20 for 4 years). And HYS or people with connections will keep popping up. Wondering what do next.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MantisToboggan wrote:I interviewed with EDNY in early January and was offered Jan. 10. I had until the end of the month to accept/reject. I know some people were done with the SDNY process in early January (not me).
Just to clarify, was your third-round interview in early January?
Seems like this person is talking about a 1L summer position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is all AUSA positions, right?

I have applied to 30+ offices and got three interviews. Realizing that my odds aren’t really ever going to increase as my credentials will stay the same (median MVP, non sdny d ct clerk, non 2/9 clerk, v20 for 4 years). And HYS or people with connections will keep popping up. Wondering what do next.
I’m the guy from a second tier above. I’m planning on staying at my firm and focusing on getting work I can call trial experience in an interview. If I don’t make partner I’ll probably apply to main justice and all the USAO offices I have connections to. Of course I’ll be a 10th year by then, so that might hurt me, but not really sure what else I can do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 am

I recently got dinged after a full-on first round SDNY interview (4 folks, civil and criminal, etc.). Stung, as I thought it went well, but whatever. Thing is, my rejection letter seemed to suggest that I not apply again in the future--it said something like "we don't want this rejection to discourage you from applying to OTHER government agencies."

Can someone confirm that this is just a form letter and that I'm being oversensitive?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently got dinged after a full-on first round SDNY interview (4 folks, civil and criminal, etc.). Stung, as I thought it went well, but whatever. Thing is, my rejection letter seemed to suggest that I not apply again in the future--it said something like "we don't want this rejection to discourage you from applying to OTHER government agencies."

Can someone confirm that this is just a form letter and that I'm being oversensitive?
Somewhere in this forum there was a post that said they won't take your app again (in SDNY only) for 3 or 4 years. The post I think had some caveats as well but I'm not sure exactly what it said. Good news is, you have to be competitive for other districts, I'd think.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I recently got dinged after a full-on first round SDNY interview (4 folks, civil and criminal, etc.). Stung, as I thought it went well, but whatever. Thing is, my rejection letter seemed to suggest that I not apply again in the future--it said something like "we don't want this rejection to discourage you from applying to OTHER government agencies."

Somewhere in this forum there was a post that said they won't take your app again (in SDNY only) for 3 or 4 years. The post I think had some caveats as well but I'm not sure exactly what it said. Good news is, you have to be competitive for other districts, I'd think.
Wish I had known that before applying -- probably would have waited a year or two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Any NDIL interview lurkers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applied but no interview, do your mind sharing school stats?
I went to a shitty second tier east coast law school, clerked for a nearby but non-SDNY district court judge, clerked for a non 2d Circuit or DC Circuit COA, spent 3 years at a v30ish firm that’s not in NYC. I got an interview where they basically asked me why NYC for 40 minutes and then sent a form rejection.

Was this SDNY or EDNY?

I have an EDNY first round interview coming up -- wondering how far I have to go, and if it really does take an entire year to get hired.

leedleed

New

Post by leedleed » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why does EDNY have a 2 part application process (sending resume/cover first and then receiving their application via mail second? -- https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/assis ... -positions). Is there any significance behind receiving their application after I send in my resume (I am aware that you can just easily download the application online too)?

Can anyone talk more about their hiring process? Thank you.

interested in this

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Was this SDNY or EDNY?

I have an EDNY first round interview coming up -- wondering how far I have to go, and if it really does take an entire year to get hired.
SDNY

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Reposting; Have an EDNY first round upcoming. Have to imagine there are many others. Hoping for advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:52 pm

same-- I have a first round with EDNY very soon.

anyone that has made it along, what was time frame from round 1-2,2-3, 3- offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any NDIL interview lurkers?
Yes, one here. Applied late November, did three rounds of interviews (last round was First Assistant and USA), then three weeks of silence. Wondering if I should give up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”