I think I ruined my career prospects at firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: I think I ruined my career prospects at firm

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a managing partner he was probably just concerned about the latent racism in the original "joke"
How did my intended joke imply racism? This partner is white.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:21 pm

The best plan is to sit on the toilet in the men's room, wait for him to come in, and when he's washing his hands come out of the stall and give him a chance to insult you back.

Paul Revere

New

Post by Paul Revere » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:26 pm

I don't find this to be so unbelievable. OP, you'll probably start to relax the more you interact with the partners at your firm. In all likelihood, the partner realizes you were just being an awkward rookie, but that doesn't mean he wants to revisit it with you. Let this go-- don't try to fix it. Prove your value by doing great work, and in a few years this will be a funny memory.

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a managing partner he was probably just concerned about the latent racism in the original "joke"
It’s re: your assumption about Mexican food.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:24 am

Don't know if this is just a dumb joke post but since I'm bored right now--just move on and forget it ever happened. If you keep being super awkward every time you see him, or if you keep bringing it up, it's never going to get better. Chances are the partner wouldn't remember that ever happening if you don't keep being weird about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aergia

New

Post by Aergia » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:02 pm

sittykitty wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do most people actually consider this racist?

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:15 pm

Aergia wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean it's not "marching-down-the-streets-of-Charlottesville-waving-the-flag-of-the-Third-Reich" racist but the implicit assumption that Mexican food makes you ill registers higher than "microaggression" on my racism scale

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:04 pm

sittykitty wrote: I mean it's not "marching-down-the-streets-of-Charlottesville-waving-the-flag-of-the-Third-Reich" racist but the implicit assumption that Mexican food makes you ill registers higher than "microaggression" on my racism scale
Edited: I see. Also, no offense taken at all. I was genuinely curious.
Regardless to OP, I would not have made the joke and I definitely would NOT email the partner about it. Pretend it never happened and move on.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:10 pm

“How did the intended joke imply racism? this partner was white”

I simply can’t. You’re right, you did tank your career. The more you talk about this the more my head hurts.

edit* man of the hour - sorry, didn’t mean to take it out on you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you for humor glad you are all taking my embarrassment so seriously.... does anyone else have suggestions on what I might want to do?
Why would anyone take this seriously? Giving you advice presumes that you can control your actions, but if this post is true...

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 am

sittykitty wrote:
Aergia wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean it's not "marching-down-the-streets-of-Charlottesville-waving-the-flag-of-the-Third-Reich" racist but the implicit assumption that Mexican food makes you ill registers higher than "microaggression" on my racism scale
This is actually considered racist nowadays? Jesus Christ. Saying Mexican food opens my asshole up like a bottomless pit of toxic sludge is racist? Is it also racist to say Indian food gives me headaches and Greek food gives me an erection the size of a bottle rocket? Crass, maybe. But if that shits considered racist, my eyes are rolling.

OP - even if some overly sensitive law students might consider it racist, there's no fucking way your firm's male white middle-aged managing partner does. Probably doesn't even knows what a 'microagression' is (lucky him).

He might think you're a bit weird, but he doesn't think you're racist.

Aergia

New

Post by Aergia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:02 am

Yeah I agree that didn't register on my racist scale at all. Honestly before the explanation the only thing I could think of was it could possibly be seen as racist against white people for assuming their delicate GI tracts can't handle delicious peppery mexican food.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:38 am

rustyburger2 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
Aergia wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a managing partner he was probably just concerned about the latent racism in the original "joke"[/quote]

This is actually considered racist nowadays? Jesus Christ. Saying Mexican food opens my asshole up like a bottomless pit of toxic sludge is racist? Is it also racist to say Indian food gives me headaches and Greek food gives me an erection the size of a bottle rocket? Crass, maybe. But if that shits considered racist, my eyes are rolling.

OP - even if some overly sensitive law students might consider it racist, there's no fucking way your firm's male white middle-aged managing partner does. Probably doesn't even knows what a 'microagression' is (lucky him).

Non-mexican latino here (not that it matters really). I wouldn't consider OPs comment to be racist at all. If anything, it struck me as evincing a slightly outdated and sheltered view regarding the quality of ethnic food (another example: where I am from people are convinced the local Chinese restaurants try to pass sea gull meat as chicken). When I first read the bolded comment I LOLed because I assumed it was a tongue-in-cheek jab, meant to razz OP (for bad joke based on old/sheltered assumptions) and P.C. culture (for looking for micro-aggressions in every comment), and not an sincere accusation of racism.

TLDR: OPs joke wasn't racist, and the comment critiquing it as racist was probably tongue-in-cheek.

EDIT: for some reason "P C culture" automatically changed to "Personal Computer culture" when I submitted. I was not referring to "personal computer culture"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 am

the managing partner comment was a joke, you aspie fucks.

Graybrow

New

Post by Graybrow » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rustyburger2 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
Aergia wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a managing partner he was probably just concerned about the latent racism in the original "joke"[/quote]

Non-mexican latino here (not that it matters really). I wouldn't consider OPs comment to be racist at all. If anything, it struck me as evincing a slightly outdated and sheltered view regarding the quality of ethnic food (another example: where I am from people are convinced the local Chinese restaurants try to pass sea gull meat as chicken). When I first read the bolded comment I LOLed because I assumed it was a tongue-in-cheek jab, meant to razz OP (for bad joke based on old/sheltered assumptions) and P.C. culture (for looking for micro-aggressions in every comment), and not an sincere accusation of racism.

TLDR: OPs joke wasn't racist, and the comment critiquing it as racist was probably tongue-in-cheek.

EDIT: for some reason "P C culture" automatically changed to "Personal Computer culture" when I submitted. I was not referring to "personal computer culture"
Overzealous personal computer culture is how we got Trump.

As for the rest of it, OP, this thread of comments is correct.

paperrev

New

Post by paperrev » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:58 am

Jesus Christ, this post is getting way more attention than it warrants :?

Ilovemydogxo

New

Post by Ilovemydogxo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Give him a bottle of laxatives and fiber gummies as a gift for his birthday

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

omar1

Bronze

Post by omar1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Do some research and write a memo on "how to avoid stomach problems" and leave it on his desk.

newassociate067

New

Post by newassociate067 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 am

"Overzealous personal computer culture is how we got Trump. "

Disagree - overzealous computer culture is NOT how we got trump

newassociate067

New

Post by newassociate067 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:"Overzealous personal computer culture is how we got Trump. "

Disagree - overzealous computer culture is NOT how we got trump
Trump was elected legally by the silent majority dissatisfied with the status quo. Folks disagreeing are leftists butt hurt they didn't get their way

But I digress, apologies. Back to the topic at hand. Glad everyone agrees the comment wasn't racist.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote: Trump was elected legally by the silent majority dissatisfied with the status quo. Folks disagreeing are leftists butt hurt they didn't get their way

But I digress, apologies. Back to the topic at hand. Glad everyone agrees the comment wasn't racist.
I wouldn't call it a majority. The dude lost the popular vote by 2.8 million votes. In almost any other country's system he would have lost. However, he was legally elected by the system in place (with rules that both parties were counting on and playing by...like it or hate it, he won fair and square under the set rules) and I am sure certain people's dissatisfaction with the status quo certainly turned the tide in those key states.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Trump was elected legally by the silent majority dissatisfied with the status quo. Folks disagreeing are leftists butt hurt they didn't get their way

I wouldn't call it a majority. The dude lost the popular vote by 2.8 million votes. In almost any other country's system he would have lost. However, he was legally elected by the system in place (with rules that both parties were counting on and playing by...like it or hate it, he won fair and square under the set rules) and I am sure certain people's dissatisfaction with the status quo certainly turned the tide in those key states.
I wouldn’t bother responding to a sock puppet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:54 am

FWIW, it didn't register on my racist scale either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:31 am

Hey guys, OP here. My forum account got blocked for some reason, but anyways, I made a new one as this situation keeps getting worse. On Monday I decided to email the partner a quick apology note as follows....

"Hi Mr. -----,

I just wanted to reach out and apologize in case I offended you last week. Lot of caffeine and late night in the office prior so obviously I did not think before speaking. Hope we cross paths again in a better setting.

Kind regards,
-----"

I didn't hear from him so I thought that would be it. But yesterday I got an email from one of my firm's HR people requesting a meeting in her office tomorrow.... pretty sure I'm finished at this point.... any last minute parting words of advice are appreciated as always.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, OP here. My forum account got blocked for some reason, but anyways, I made a new one as this situation keeps getting worse. On Monday I decided to email the partner a quick apology note as follows....

"Hi Mr. -----,

I just wanted to reach out and apologize in case I offended you last week. Lot of caffeine and late night in the office prior so obviously I did not think before speaking. Hope we cross paths again in a better setting.

Kind regards,
-----"

I didn't hear from him so I thought that would be it. But yesterday I got an email from one of my firm's HR people requesting a meeting in her office tomorrow.... pretty sure I'm finished at this point.... any last minute parting words of advice are appreciated as always.
120. No one cares about your fake story and I hope this is the last post in this thread. Get a hobby.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”