BL lateral aps—Friend at firm v. Recruiter v neither Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BL lateral aps—Friend at firm v. Recruiter v neither

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:18 pm

I’m wondering what other biglaw lateral applicants are finding with success of getting first interviews with recruiter submitting Ap, friend passing Ap, or just straight up applying. Any pattern?

In my effort to find a junior lit lateral biglaw position in my fairly major market, Is it odd that I only get straight rejections or no responses when I apply myself...by contrast, all of my interview invites have been when recruiter sends or internal send through a connection/friend?

Is this coincidence? The thing is that the prestige of firm does not correlate to my success with first interviews. For example, a much lower ranked biglaw firm will not interview me for a similar-sounding opening when I apply straight up, while a highly regarded international firm will interview me when it’s passed through recruiter or a buddy.

Thoughts?

bk1

Diamond

Re: BL lateral aps—Friend at firm v. Recruiter v neither

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm

I don't see how having a current attorney pass along your app isn't obviously the best option.

Recruiters versus applying by yourself, I'd hazard that has more to do with recruiters working with knowledge of open positions (which you don't necessarily have) than with any potential connection between the recruiter and the hiring department (though I could be wrong).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:42 pm

bk1 wrote:I don't see how having a current attorney pass along your app isn't obviously the best option.

Recruiters versus applying by yourself, I'd hazard that has more to do with recruiters working with knowledge of open positions (which you don't necessarily have) than with any potential connection between the recruiter and the hiring department (though I could be wrong).
OP here. I agree—of course having a friend is ideal. I suppose this is a situation where your connect at the firm is very attenuated, to the point of almost being uncomfortable sending the initial email.

Do you send the initial email and hope for the best? Use recruiter? Apply straight up?

What are the chances that the regular application pool just doesn’t get the attention that even the recruiter submissions do? That’s my question/concern, I suppose.

spha12

New

Post by spha12 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:09 pm

Using a recruiter is the worst option if you can apply direct. The firm will have to pay a large sum to your recruiter and, in some cases, where others applying for the same position are just as qualified as you and they need a tie breaker then the recruiter fee could go against you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:52 pm

spha12 wrote:Using a recruiter is the worst option if you can apply direct. The firm will have to pay a large sum to your recruiter and, in some cases, where others applying for the same position are just as qualified as you and they need a tie breaker then the recruiter fee could go against you.
I’ve heard this, but has anybody heard from a hiring partner that this is actually a thing that happens with any frequency?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spha12

New

Post by spha12 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spha12 wrote:Using a recruiter is the worst option if you can apply direct. The firm will have to pay a large sum to your recruiter and, in some cases, where others applying for the same position are just as qualified as you and they need a tie breaker then the recruiter fee could go against you.
I’ve heard this, but has anybody heard from a hiring partner that this is actually a thing that happens with any frequency?
It happens. I've seen it happen twice first-hand at my v50 (not going to go more specific then that) when I was involved in interviewing and asked a hiring partner why we didn't go with a guy I liked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:17 am

spha12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It happens. I've seen it happen twice first-hand at my v50 (not going to go more specific then that) when I was involved in interviewing and asked a hiring partner why we didn't go with a guy I liked.
Would this apply to a referral bonus to a friend at the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 am

spha12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How strong do those on the thread think that the counter argument is—that, in a sitch where your resume is decent but not amazing, the firm screeners will give your application more deference if it came from a recruiter than if it came straight in?

spha12

New

Post by spha12 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spha12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Would this apply to a referral bonus to a friend at the firm?
I haven't seen that happen in my experience but I suppose it could be weighed, but there is such strength in having an advocate for you in the firm that is very financially motivated to see your candidacy succeed that I think having a friend refer you gives more positives.

Remember this is all like tie breaker stuff though. If you are the best candidate for a job, a firm in the AM law 100 isn't going to sweat these fees.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”