Do first semester transfer grades matter? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do first semester transfer grades matter?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Transferred to a t15 school and ended up with a 3.75 gpa after the first semester here. I am wondering whether I will be considered for the same jobs and clerkships as others with similar gpas who started law school here. Just generally inquiring into how judges and firms view transfer grades.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Do first semester transfer grades matter?

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm

just fyi t15 isn't a thing. There is the t13 and now the t20. I'm sure that upsets your prestige at UT or GT, but just for your information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 pm

And t13 and t20 are also made up. Sorry for altering fictional categories. Really just want to get my question answered.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And t13 and t20 are also made up. Sorry for altering fictional categories. Really just want to get my question answered.
Actually not quite true. I dont have the chart on hand but others do on this site. If you look at employment outcomes, it is clear there is a big cluster of strong employment outcomes that ends at t13 (Cornell). The next group is much lower down and clustered together, which includes UT, GT, UCLA, etc. The separation between the two groups speaks to the non-arbitrariness of this separation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm

thank you for sharing such intellectually stimulating information. I now know what group I belong.... It's been a real concern of mine. Now let's see if I can get my question answered.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:20 pm

I think many judges will care about grades after your first year (basically, any and all grades on your transcript when you apply). Although there may be some who take the OCI-influenced TLS view that 2L and 3L grades don’t “count” because the curve is easier after 1L, 1) that’s not true for all schools and 2) I think plenty of judges still don’t want to see bad/mediocre grades for those years. I can’t say that they will treat the GPA *identically* with people who started at your school, but the GPA shows that your presumably excellent 1L grades weren’t a fluke/because your 1L school was easy. It’s certainly worth applying.

I can’t speak to firm jobs (but then you will have gone through 2L OCI already and 3L OCI is pretty difficult even without transferring).

Also sparky stop obsessing about groupings. Someone saying T15 is just using shorthand, they’re not daring to (gasp) claim to be comparable to/have the same outcome as the “truly elite” schools.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:41 pm

With a 3.75 at your new school you'll be in excellent shape for biglaw and most federal district court clerkship's (assuming good interviewing skills). Almost every transfer I know who had above a 3.4-3.5 in their first semester at my lower T-14 got biglaw (as a 3L). And many more with even lower gpa's got clerkships. I'd be a bit careful though in your future course selection. If you took all generously graded seminars, I would recommend taking more substantive lecture courses next semester to leverage it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”