Verizon 1L Legal Internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Verizon 1L Legal Internship

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 pm

On a whim, I applied for this in-house job (along with 50+) others. I couldn't find much on TLS about it, and I am considering whether to move forward with the interview process or just waiting for 1L SA offers.

Has anyone applied for this internship and has details about salary and duration?

Anonymous User

Re: Verizon 1L Legal Internship

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a whim, I applied for this in-house job (along with 50+) others. I couldn't find much on TLS about it, and I am considering whether to move forward with the interview process or just waiting for 1L SA offers.

Has anyone applied for this internship and has details about salary and duration?
Applied. Got rejected week later bc of" more qualified applicants "

No idea about ur questions sorry

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:02 pm

the app asks for a GPA range, so can we not apply until we get grades?

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Why not move forward with the Verizon interview process just in case the 1L SA jobs (or other jobs) don't pan out? IMO it's best to keep applying for things until you lock something down that you want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Why not move forward with the Verizon interview process just in case the 1L SA jobs (or other jobs) don't pan out? IMO it's best to keep applying for things until you lock something down that you want.
OP: I already have 1L SA offers but I am trying to split my summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:35 pm

10 weeks, $1,000/week
Fairly certain VZ won’t let you split

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:26 pm

I did an identical 1L summer internship with an international telecom provider that competes directly with Verizon on all fronts (mobile, broadband, VPN, backbone, subsea cables, etc.) worldwide. It was also 10 weeks at $1k/week. I believe my experience will be relevant to your situation.

First off, why would you not move forward with the interview process? You can always turn down a job offer when you get one, but if you end the process now you are guaranteed to not get a job offer. Don't turn down jobs when you don't have a job.

Second, I learned a lot in my internship and, possibly more importantly, my work there came up in every OCI interview. Having experience inside the in-house legal department of the #14 company on the Fortune 500 will be EASY for you to sell during interviews with both firms and corporations. Large corporations interface with outside counsel all the time, and you will get to see how that process works. You will know what irks Verizon's legal department when it comes to interfacing with outside counsel, and you'll know what Verizon likes to see as well. Firms like to hire people with that kind of savvy.

As a big (potentially huge) plus, almost every attorney you will be working with will have come from a large law firm and will still have deep connections there. Firms keep in touch with their in-house placements, especially at large corporations. If you do good work during the summer, the attorneys at Verizon would have no problem reaching out to their old firms and their current outside counsel to say you would be a great candidate. You know what law firms do when someone from the legal department of #14 on the Fortune list says something like that? They give you an interview. It worked out well for me, and it will likely work out well for you too.

My recommendation: without a doubt, continue with the interview process through its completion. Then you should SERIOUSLY consider taking the job.

P.S. it's highly unlikely they will let you split, but don't bring that up until AFTER you have an offer in hand. Even then, I would think twice about bringing it up at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did an identical 1L summer internship with an international telecom provider that competes directly with Verizon on all fronts (mobile, broadband, VPN, backbone, subsea cables, etc.) worldwide. It was also 10 weeks at $1k/week. I believe my experience will be relevant to your situation.

First off, why would you not move forward with the interview process? You can always turn down a job offer when you get one, but if you end the process now you are guaranteed to not get a job offer. Don't turn down jobs when you don't have a job.

Second, I learned a lot in my internship and, possibly more importantly, my work there came up in every OCI interview. Having experience inside the in-house legal department of the #14 company on the Fortune 500 will be EASY for you to sell during interviews with both firms and corporations. Large corporations interface with outside counsel all the time, and you will get to see how that process works. You will know what irks Verizon's legal department when it comes to interfacing with outside counsel, and you'll know what Verizon likes to see as well. Firms like to hire people with that kind of savvy.

As a big (potentially huge) plus, almost every attorney you will be working with will have come from a large law firm and will still have deep connections there. Firms keep in touch with their in-house placements, especially at large corporations. If you do good work during the summer, the attorneys at Verizon would have no problem reaching out to their old firms and their current outside counsel to say you would be a great candidate. You know what law firms do when someone from the legal department of #14 on the Fortune list says something like that? They give you an interview. It worked out well for me, and it will likely work out well for you too.

My recommendation: without a doubt, continue with the interview process through its completion. Then you should SERIOUSLY consider taking the job.

P.S. it's highly unlikely they will let you split, but don't bring that up until AFTER you have an offer in hand. Even then, I would think twice about bringing it up at all.
OP: I have 3 offers actually, and I know that I will take one. All offers have been received in the mail and they all are very clear about when the summer program is and the program's length. It just looks like trying to split big law firms is a thing of the past, so I was trying to do it through some other route.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:44 am

Dude, just move forward. You can reject offers once you get them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did an identical 1L summer internship with an international telecom provider that competes directly with Verizon on all fronts (mobile, broadband, VPN, backbone, subsea cables, etc.) worldwide. It was also 10 weeks at $1k/week. I believe my experience will be relevant to your situation.

OP: I have 3 offers actually, and I know that I will take one. All offers have been received in the mail and they all are very clear about when the summer program is and the program's length. It just looks like trying to split big law firms is a thing of the past, so I was trying to do it through some other route.
Having worked in house 1L and then throughout law school part time after, I can tell you with 100% certainty you wont be able to split. They are having you come in to work; there’s no portion of it that’s designed to be a recruiting tool like Biglaw.

Oh and the bolded is 100% true. Retrospectively, I wouldn’t trade my 1L in house internship for any SA.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:10 pm

I'd be very surprised if Verizon let you split. They're in-house, and as the poster above mentioned, they're not trying to use the summer job as a recruiting tool like biglaw does. They would have no incentive to let you split.

Whether you can split your 1L summer between two biglaw firms likely depends on the firms and how desirable of a candidate you are. Regardless, if you have a biglaw job during 1L summer, your 1L firm will likely let you split your 2L summer with them and another firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 pm

The main, and perhaps only, reason to choose a firm over in-house at a company like Verizon is money.

Assuming you're in position to nab a good job at OCI, the way I would proceed is to commit to your preferred firm, keep going with he Verizon app (decisions aren't typically made until March/April), then renege on the firm if you get VZ - assuming you're fine with crossing them off your list at OCI.

You'll get all the experience you need for firm life as a 2L SA. The value you bring to your eventual firm coming from a company like Verizon's legal department far outweighs anything you would learn at a firm as a 1L SA. As stated above, networking with former biglaw types within the company can be invaluable for your career. If you want to make the move in-house after a few years at the firm, having connections with decision makers in the company will be huge.

I would pump the brakes a bit if I were you. Wanting to split as a 1L is excessive and borderline pretentious.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm

In-house at a large corporation is going to be a more enriching learning experience than a random 1L firm job. Also second what others have said about networking with the in-house attorneys as they will likely have good connections with their old firms and valuable resources in the future.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 am

Pomeranian wrote:In-house at a large corporation is going to be a more enriching learning experience than a random 1L firm job. Also second what others have said about networking with the in-house attorneys as they will likely have good connections with their old firms and valuable resources in the future.
OP: good to know the preferences for in-house job. I wasn't expecting that. Of the firm offers I have, one is known for being #1 in the type of law I want to do (and it's ranked #1 in the state). Offer only lasts for 2 weeks and that wouldn't be enough time to hear back from Verizon so it seems like it'd be risky to turn down 3 offers for the chance of an in-house gig.

I would seriously like to try in-house legal work but I'd also not like to throw away 3 chances of having paying summer employment :/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Has anyone heard anything regarding this? If you applied- what has the timeline looked like so far?

stativus

New

Post by stativus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything regarding this? If you applied- what has the timeline looked like so far?
I applied in Jan, and they got back to me today with a video interview request. I've already accepted an offer though so I have to decline soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:18 pm

I'm anony OP above who said I was rejected. Turns out it was a systemwide error (via recruiting manager), and I got a video interview. Anyone have any tips on the process?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”