Reneging on a Summer Offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging on a Summer Offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm

I accepted a position at a public interest organization for this summer. I just recently got a request to interview at an organization that I really want to work for (my future dream job). I never though that I would actually get invited to interview. How bad is it to interview, then if I get it switch to the new offer? I understand that it probably does not look good. Are there any real consequences that can happen besides burning bridges? I am having an internal struggle between being moral and following a dream job.

magnum_law

Bronze

Re: Reneging on a Summer Offer?

Post by magnum_law » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:23 pm

It's shitty but happens all the time. After all, it is your career and your life. Do what would bring you the most satisfaction. Not worth wondering "what if" just to spare them their feelings

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Not a big deal. If your "morals" in breaking a commitment to do work for free are getting in the way, you could simply do this internship later in the summer and for a shorter period of time and do the one you care about first. I basically did this as a 1L, in that I committed to 10 weeks at x place, realized y place was an opportunity and told x place "hey actually I can only do the last four weeks of the 10 we discussed because [bs excuse], do you still want me?" But probably nobody is going to care.

Emersonman

New

Post by Emersonman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Just do it! If you get your dream job, then take it. Its a dog-eat-dog world out there, and employers know that.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 pm

It’s not “shitty” and it’s not a big deal. It’s an uncomfortable conversation and that’s about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”