Binders Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Binders

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:30 am

I went to an NY screener for an 1L SA, and the other interviewees had leather-bound binders. I assume they had resumes/misc. app-related material. I showed up empty-handed. For future reference, should I be bringing these things to screeners from now on? Nothing specifically happened where I needed materials or notes. Do I look unprofessional or... slightly naive showing up empty-handed?

cfcm

Silver

Re: Binders

Post by cfcm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:40 am

It's useful to bring extra copies of your resume, transcript, writing sample, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 am

cfcm wrote:It's useful to bring extra copies of your resume, transcript, writing sample, etc.
Thank you for telling me. I'll be sure to bring one next time. Is this something that people will notice and ding me for? I'm gonna guess no, but I just want to make sure that it doesn't rise to the level of a faux pas.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
cfcm wrote:It's useful to bring extra copies of your resume, transcript, writing sample, etc.
Thank you for telling me. I'll be sure to bring one next time. Is this something that people will notice and ding me for? I'm gonna guess no, but I just want to make sure that it doesn't rise to the level of a faux pas.
They won't notice unless they ask for a copy of your resume, transcript, writing sample, or references and you don't have it.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:44 am

blueapple wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
They won't notice unless they ask for a copy of your resume, transcript, writing sample, or references and you don't have it.
Eh... interviewers will *notice*. People *notice* a lot of things when you walk in for an interview - your dress, your posture, your grooming, whether you've got a folio with you or not, etc. They may not care, but it's definitely noticed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:21 am

pancakes3 wrote:
blueapple wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Eh... interviewers will *notice*. People *notice* a lot of things when you walk in for an interview - your dress, your posture, your grooming, whether you've got a folio with you or not, etc. They may not care, but it's definitely noticed.
Guess my tongue-in-cheek didn't translate. My point was that you should always have one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:37 am

blueapple wrote:They won't notice unless they ask for a copy of your resume, transcript, writing sample, or references and you don't have it.
blueapple wrote:Guess my tongue-in-cheek didn't translate. My point was that you should always have one.
OP here. I guess I'm just an idiot for not knowing. That's what I get for never having interviewed for any legal job before. None of those things were ever requested so I don't think the interviewers cared, but I guess it's really important to bring a folio next time around.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote: OP here. I guess I'm just an idiot for not knowing. That's what I get for never having interviewed for any legal job before. None of those things were ever requested so I don't think the interviewers cared, but I guess it's really important to bring a folio next time around.
in a similar vein, once you start your summer job, bring pad and paper with you any time you report in to your supervising attorney.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
blueapple wrote:They won't notice unless they ask for a copy of your resume, transcript, writing sample, or references and you don't have it.
blueapple wrote:Guess my tongue-in-cheek didn't translate. My point was that you should always have one.
OP here. I guess I'm just an idiot for not knowing. That's what I get for never having interviewed for any legal job before. None of those things were ever requested so I don't think the interviewers cared, but I guess it's really important to bring a folio next time around.
Don't sweat it -- you're not an idiot. It's hard to know these things if nobody has ever told you. Now you know for next time (and I don't think the fact that you didn't have a folio with you this time will hurt you).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Female here. For my last callback, I brought a small black tote with my folio, wallet, cell phone (off), and car keys mostly bc i was going straight to the airport after. Nothing made noise or seemed to be in the way, but for the future, just the folio is best? I could obviously check my bag with my coat.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm

OP, I really can’t imagine anyone dinging you for this, or even noticing its absence. Yes, it’s a good idea to have extras on hand in the event you get asked for them—but beyond that, no one is thinking, “welp, this person didn’t bring a folio. We’re done here.”

I totally get this kind of worry, but it falls into the “unnecessary paranoia” bucket. There are plenty of other things the interviewers ARE paying attention to, and whether you have a leatherman is not one of them.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Female here. For my last callback, I brought a small black tote with my folio, wallet, cell phone (off), and car keys mostly bc i was going straight to the airport after. Nothing made noise or seemed to be in the way, but for the future, just the folio is best? I could obviously check my bag with my coat.
I've always brought a bag with me for interviews.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm

zhenders wrote:OP, I really can’t imagine anyone dinging you for this, or even noticing its absence. Yes, it’s a good idea to have extras on hand in the event you get asked for them—but beyond that, no one is thinking, “welp, this person didn’t bring a folio. We’re done here.”

I totally get this kind of worry, but it falls into the “unnecessary paranoia” bucket. There are plenty of other things the interviewers ARE paying attention to, and whether you have a leatherman is not one of them.
Eh I feel like I would notice if someone came to my office completely empty-handed. If you’re a woman and had a purse large enough to fit a folio I might just assume it’s in there (and nothing wrong with having a purse). But I would notice if a male candidate showed up without anything. It would signal a lack of preparation to me but for a 1L interview I wouldn’t ding you for it, more just naïveté.

Also a good time for OP to reflect on other legal industry standards that might be different from other interviews/industries. Make sure your clothes are well-fitted and appropriate, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”