NYC Biglawyers - How is your monthly expenditure? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How much do you spend each month /person?

<$3000
23%
$3001-$4000
21%
$4001-5000
24%
$5001-6000
15%
$6001-7000
5%
>$7001
12%

Total votes: 66

Anonymous User

NYC Biglawyers - How is your monthly expenditure?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:56 am

I'm a 3L who is going to work in NYC post graduation, and for personal/family reasons I'd like to start formulating/planning a budget now, especially formulating a rent budget. I made a general poll, but it would be really helpful if you guys could break down your monthly expenses in anon posts. Given your monthly expenditure, how do you live? Do you basically go out/eat out whenever you want, or do you feel like you're penny pinching? Etc.

Expenses includes rent, travel, vacations, things, etc. Excludes investments, student loans, savings, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: NYC Biglawyers - How is your monthly expenditure?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 am

Perhaps not the most helpful answer, but plan on spending 40-60k a year all in. YMMV depending on if you choose to live alone or roommates (this is the biggest one), how often you go out drinking and eating with friends, if you're dating anyone, number of flights you have to take that year for trips/weddings, etc. I have friends on both ends of the spectrum, really depends how you like to live your life and events that pop up (trips, weddings, bachelor/ette parties, etc.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:36 pm

4th year associate living in Manhattan. I'm trying to better budget going forward so thought I'd write this down and share as a sample point:
- Rent: ~$2800 (for a (large)studio!)
- Gym: $300
- Subway: $121
- Food: I buy coffee and lunch every weekday (and sometimes a fast casual dinner) and generally try to keep this to $20-25 a day. Add in the few grocery trips and various dinners where I pay and I'd guesstimate that I spend $750-$1000/month.
- Clothes, etc.: Maybe $600/month on average?
Rest goes to savings, 401(k), etc.
Overall I would say that I don't feel like I'm penny-pinching at all (obviously I could cut down on my spending a lot). No loans or kids though, and I'm trying to stay in big law for as long as they'll have me.

gogurts

New

Post by gogurts » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:54 pm

1st year living in manhattan:

rent/utilities: $2300 (1 br walk-up, hell's kitchen)
food: $500
medical: $50-100
discretionary (clothing/movies/concerts/stuff for my cat): $200-$300

I think food is the one area I could really afford to cut down on - I almost never buy groceries and live off lunch carts, take-out and leftovers from overtime dinners.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:21 pm

gogurts wrote:1st year living in manhattan:

I think food is the one area I could really afford to cut down on - I almost never buy groceries and live off lunch carts, take-out and leftovers from overtime dinners.
How is your medical so low? Pay like $350/month in insurance. Unless you mean expenses from net pay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gogurts

New

Post by gogurts » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Yugihoe wrote:
gogurts wrote:1st year living in manhattan:

How is your medical so low? Pay like $350/month in insurance. Unless you mean expenses from net pay.
yeah sorry, i mean expenses from net pay. so $50-100 per month on top of insurance

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm

I try to stick to the following budget per month. But according to mint, my monthly average for the last 12 months was $2295 for a total spend of $27,545. I traveled a lot though last year, and had a sick bar trip so shrug.

Rent (1050) (live in outer borough with roommates)
Public transport (120)
Food and going out (500)
Shopping (100)
Gym+haircut (30)
Travel (200)

Total (2000)

I build in the $200 travel amount so that I can come under on some months, and come way over on other.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Yugihoe wrote:I try to stick to the following budget per month. But according to mint, my monthly average for the last 12 months was $2295 for a total spend of $27,545. I traveled a lot though last year, and had a sick bar trip so shrug.

Rent (1050) (live in outer borough with roommates)
Public transport (120)
Food and going out (500)
Shopping (100)
Gym+haircut (30)
Travel (200)

Total (2000)

I build in the $200 travel amount so that I can come under on some months, and come way over on other.
This is about as low as one can go w/ expenses. Also, $30 for gym + haircut = impressive (or a bad gym/haircut).

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
This is about as low as one can go w/ expenses. Also, $30 for gym + haircut = impressive (or a bad gym/haircut).
Planet fitness is like $10/month but kind of sucks. I like blink (which is $15/month). Haircut in Chinatown. Idk I think I look pretty good, with respect to both, but self bias lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 pm

3rd year

Rent - $3500 (1 br - first apt was $2600 my first two years)
Utilities - $120
Gym and haircut - $75
Laundry - $80-100
Food and Booze - $900-1300 (depends on how social I am)
(Semi) Recurring entertainment costs (website subscriptions, Spotify, movie rentals, books, etc.) - $100
Odds and Ends (toiletries, OTC meds, etc) - $50
Transportation - $150

I don’t budget responsibly for irregular costs (travel, clothes and moving costs come to mind) but I would recommend doing so.

To close out the loop I’m also maxing my 401k, $300 a month in insurance (I’ve been fortunate to have had no meaningful medical costs in several years) and student loans are ~$3k a month with 8 years left (they’ve been refied so PAYE truthers can simmer down).

Obviously the above doesn’t leave me with much for savings or investment but i made the choice early that the added stress of a strict budget on top of job crap wasn’t something I wanted to deal with. It definitely gets better from 3rd year on as our comp accelerates and I expect to be able to invest quite a bit over the next couple of years I have left in the rat race.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:31 pm

I spend about 6 thousand a month on cocaine

TheatreofDreams

New

Post by TheatreofDreams » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:4th year associate living in Manhattan. I'm trying to better budget going forward so thought I'd write this down and share as a sample point:
- Food: I buy coffee and lunch every weekday (and sometimes a fast casual dinner) and generally try to keep this to $20-25 a day. Add in the few grocery trips and various dinners where I pay and I'd guesstimate that I spend $750-$1000/month.
Overall I would say that I don't feel like I'm penny-pinching at all (obviously I could cut down on my spending a lot). No loans or kids though, and I'm trying to stay in big law for as long as they'll have me.
Curious to hear how you spend $600 a month on clothes? Or is that a few thousand dollars but if averaged out is $600?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Wow. Surprised no one has any student loans to repay...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:56 pm

TheatreofDreams wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:4th year associate living in Manhattan. I'm trying to better budget going forward so thought I'd write this down and share as a sample point:
Curious to hear how you spend $600 a month on clothes? Or is that a few thousand dollars but if averaged out is $600?
That's my rough estimate on average per month. May be higher.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wow. Surprised no one has any student loans to repay...
OP stipulated no loans, the tight budgets generally would suggest everyone ITT has them

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:35 am

2500, commute from Hudson county NJ into NYC

1116 for rent
25 for food (cook my own)
200 for commute
133 for gym
200 in flights/trains (visit long distance S/O once a month)
Then I spend the rest on Christmas presents, going out, etc.

I’m forgetting a lot, but some comes out of my paycheck directly, like commute and health, dental etc. I’ve found the easiest thing is to just have a checking account where you deposit 1250 a paycheck and never let yourself draw money on living expenses from anywhere else.

240,000 in loans:
I pay like 200 on my student loans cuz I’m on REPAYE, and I dump the rest into index funds. I put about 5k away post tax each month. I believe this is a better plan than repaying my loans direcrly but YMMV

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 am

ughbugchugplug wrote:2500, commute from Hudson county NJ into NYC

1116 for rent
200 for commute
133 for gym

I’m forgetting a lot, but some comes out of my paycheck directly, like commute and health, dental etc. I’ve found the easiest thing is to just have a checking account where you deposit 1250 a paycheck and never let yourself draw money on living expenses from anywhere else.

240,000 in loans:
I pay like 200 on my student loans cuz I’m on REPAYE, and I dump the rest into index funds. I put about 5k away post tax each month. I believe this is a better plan than repaying my loans direcrly but YMMV
I hope $25 per month on food is a typo.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:

1116 for rent
200 for commute
133 for gym

240,000 in loans:
It's actually not. Everyone I tell this to thinks I'm insane, but here's how you spend virtually no money on food:

Buy several 10 pound bags of rice
Buy chicken in 2-3 10 LB containers, wrap each breast individually
Buy 100-200 cans of tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and black beans

That costs about 200 bucks.

Then every two weeks, buy jalapeno peppers, spinach, broccoli, and onions. Costs like 10 bucks a month.

Cook all together. Gradually increase the amount of jalapenos you use to avoid getting used to the taste. Replace jalapenos with kalamata olives if you get bored.

Then for breakfast, eat granola bars (you can buy a 60 pack for 8 bucks at bulk stores) smothered in peanut butter.

Buy bulk instant coffee.

Finally, try to work past 8 and use seamless to buy two meals.

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Last edited by omar.comin on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

1116 for rent
200 for commute
133 for gym

240,000 in loans:
It's actually not. Everyone I tell this to thinks I'm insane, but here's how you spend virtually no money on food:

Then every two weeks, buy jalapeno peppers, spinach, broccoli, and onions. Costs like 10 bucks a month.

Cook all together. Gradually increase the amount of jalapenos you use to avoid getting used to the taste. Replace jalapenos with kalamata olives if you get bored.

Then for breakfast, eat granola bars (you can buy a 60 pack for 8 bucks at bulk stores) smothered in peanut butter.

Buy bulk instant coffee.

Brutal, but this is still $218, not $25? It's moot because I could never eat like this, but that's not the point here I guess. Just curious.

Also when you say you spend on "going out," unless this refers to just alcohol, some of that $$ is probably meals?

Aergia

New

Post by Aergia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Tagging bc you guys in the <3 and 3-4 k range are inspirational, and I'll need some blueprints in the future.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Toubro wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

1116 for rent
200 for commute
133 for gym

240,000 in loans:

Buy bulk instant coffee.

Brutal, but this is still $218, not $25? It's moot because I could never eat like this, but that's not the point here I guess. Just curious.

Also when you say you spend on "going out," unless this refers to just alcohol, some of that $$ is probably meals?
I don't eat through several bags of rice, 10lbs of chicken, and 100 cans of beans and tomatoes in a month. That lasts like 5-6 months. Prob I end up exceeding 25, but its in that range.

Yeah, true, but I don't generally eat when I go out. I guess maybe I should revise my monthly food costs up to 75?

I honestly don't see this as a sacrifice. I genuinely enjoy my meals - I really look forward to the day I cook (every 4-5 days) because that's when the meal is the most spicy. But I also have lifted weights and competed in sports for most of my life, so I see food more as a means to an end than most people do.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Toubro wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

1116 for rent
200 for commute
133 for gym

240,000 in loans:

Buy bulk instant coffee.

I don't eat through several bags of rice, 10lbs of chicken, and 100 cans of beans and tomatoes in a month. That lasts like 5-6 months. Prob I end up exceeding 25, but its in that range.

Yeah, true, but I don't generally eat when I go out. I guess maybe I should revise my monthly food costs up to 75?

I honestly don't see this as a sacrifice. I genuinely enjoy my meals - I really look forward to the day I cook (every 4-5 days) because that's when the meal is the most spicy. But I also have lifted weights and competed in sports for most of my life, so I see food more as a means to an end than most people do.
jfc that's breathtaking. No one's saying you need to eat caviar for breakfast but geez when you make $200k/year one would think you'd be able to live a little.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm

A lot of the extreme frugal people (<$3000k/month) have opined in this thread, I'm curious to hear about the other side of the spectrum. For those people that responded >$7000k/month, what are you spending on?!

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:22 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Toubro wrote:

This is also not possible if you live in New York City proper (or LA/SF, I'd guess), as it requires a huge amount of storage space, a large kitchen, and a large fridge. Plus, if you lived with roommates they would probably kill you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”