usao 1l internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

usao 1l internship

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:13 am

hi,

does anyone know how competitive it is to get hired for the United States Attorneys Office unpaid 1l summer internship?
ive done some research and i know jobs for grads is really hard to get with usao but i didnt find much info on internships

im at a t-14 with average grades and applying to the southern district of texas.

Anonymous User

Re: usao 1l internship

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:hi,

does anyone know how competitive it is to get hired for the United States Attorneys Office unpaid 1l summer internship?
ive done some research and i know jobs for grads is really hard to get with usao but i didnt find much info on internships

im at a t-14 with average grades and applying to the southern district of texas.
I did a 1L internship at another USAO (but don't know anything about S. Tx specifically). As with everything in law school, I think the best answer is that it depends. Some offices are more competitive than others (think SDNY, CA, ect) but I wouldn't characterize them as insanely competitive. I applied to ~8 offices and got ~5 offers (after getting an offer I was happy with and turning down an interview or two). I'm at HYS, applied before grades were released, and was never asked to provide grades before receiving any offers. I actually don't think I ever even provided a transcript to the office at which i worked.

If you haven't applied yet, I would try to send the app out ASAP. Some offices move pretty early.

Good luck!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:24 am

I’d just apply and see what happens - for unpaid internships, enthusiasm/interest and applying early are often much more important than credentials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Interviewed for a USAO internship about 2-3 weeks ago and haven't heard back - advice on sending a follow up email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:35 pm

My 1L summer was at the USAO in a major secondary market. I submitted my application and did not hear a word until I received my acceptance letter. No acknowledgment that they received my application. No interview. Nothing.

For the office I interned at it seemed that you needed strong grades, ties to the market, and a demonstrated interest in the work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My 1L summer was at the USAO in a major secondary market. I submitted my application and did not hear a word until I received my acceptance letter. No acknowledgment that they received my application. No interview. Nothing.

For the office I interned at it seemed that you needed strong grades, ties to the market, and a demonstrated interest in the work.
In contrast, I went to a T30 and received an offer without an interview - just resume/writing sample (I was top 10-15%). Didn't seem to be particularly difficult. I think it's highly office-dependent.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I did a 1L internship at another USAO (but don't know anything about S. Tx specifically). As with everything in law school, I think the best answer is that it depends. Some offices are more competitive than others (think SDNY, CA, ect) but I wouldn't characterize them as insanely competitive. I applied to ~8 offices and got ~5 offers (after getting an offer I was happy with and turning down an interview or two). I'm at HYS, applied before grades were released, and was never asked to provide grades before receiving any offers. I actually don't think I ever even provided a transcript to the office at which i worked.

If you haven't applied yet, I would try to send the app out ASAP. Some offices move pretty early.

Good luck!
I agree that it depends. SDNY isn't very competitive for internships, because it's such a big, busy office, they need tons of interns. None of my friends who applied to SDNY were rejected. CA seems to favor ties, but that may be because we're an east coast school, and other that that also seem not as bad. I think D.C. is pretty competitive, as are many secondary and tertiary market offices, where they might only want to hire a single intern. Those are the areas where some people struggled to get work. I want to say a few people were rejected from Chicago's too, but I don't remember exactly.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 pm

It's not overly competitive. I got two offers from non-SDNY major offices before grades came in, and I got another offer from a major office immediately after I turned in my grades. That being said, I applied to the USAO in the district where my law school is (a secondary office) and haven't heard a thing, so YMMV.

Make sure you communicate a clear reason for why you want to work at the USAO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 am

also applied, has anyone heard back from SF office? Crim or civil?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!
I agree that it depends. SDNY isn't very competitive for internships, because it's such a big, busy office, they need tons of interns. None of my friends who applied to SDNY were rejected. CA seems to favor ties, but that may be because we're an east coast school, and other that that also seem not as bad. I think D.C. is pretty competitive, as are many secondary and tertiary market offices, where they might only want to hire a single intern. Those are the areas where some people struggled to get work. I want to say a few people were rejected from Chicago's too, but I don't remember exactly.
I can speak for DC...it really wasn't that competitive. They hired over 100 interns, and they hired me without an interview. The downsides to this were obvious though: there was a paucity of work and I wasn't able to meet many attorneys from different divisions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:17 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!
I can speak for DC...it really wasn't that competitive. They hired over 100 interns, and they hired me without an interview. The downsides to this were obvious though: there was a paucity of work and I wasn't able to meet many attorneys from different divisions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”