Jumping from Family Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Akriant

New

Jumping from Family Law

Post by Akriant » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 pm

I guess the topic says it all.

I am a 2015 graduate from a regional school in Midwest. Worked for slightly less than two years for legal aid giving out advices on variety of questions, and then mostly fam law and juvi cases. Recently-ish got a job in private practice fam law firm, mostly because bigger pay was offered. I can tell that fam law is draining me and I am contemplating an exit strategy within the next 2 or 3 years. Any ideas where it's realistic to jump into? I've invested my law school into business and transactional law back in law school (naive me).... buuut I am pretty sure the chances of getting anywhere near are nonexistent. Anyone can bounce some ideas?

Cynical advices are welcome as well =)

LockBox

Bronze

Re: Jumping from Family Law

Post by LockBox » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Why are you looking to get out of family law? I know you said it's draining, but why? My concern is that if you "take your work home" with you, then you might burn out in another field as well.

Akriant

New

Post by Akriant » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm

LockBox wrote:Why are you looking to get out of family law? I know you said it's draining, but why? My concern is that if you "take your work home" with you, then you might burn out in another field as well.

Nah, it's not that. I don't mind drafting motions/petitions/objections/decrees and orders while I'm home, nor replying to odd emails at times. If you mean "taking your work home" in a sense that it weights on me when I'm home - that's not really that either, I have clear dividing lines of work/home and they are always intact.

I guess my issue is the amount of drama and at times difficult clients that this field of law brings. It's a draining experience during the day at work, not always, but fairly frequently, and as a consequence - I come home in an ok mood and all, but super tired and not really looking forward to the next day at the job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Akriant wrote:
LockBox wrote:Why are you looking to get out of family law? I know you said it's draining, but why? My concern is that if you "take your work home" with you, then you might burn out in another field as well.

Nah, it's not that. I don't mind drafting motions/petitions/objections/decrees and orders while I'm home, nor replying to odd emails at times. If you mean "taking your work home" in a sense that it weights on me when I'm home - that's not really that either, I have clear dividing lines of work/home and they are always intact.

I guess my issue is the amount of drama and at times difficult clients that this field of law brings. It's a draining experience during the day at work, not always, but fairly frequently, and as a consequence - I come home in an ok mood and all, but super tired and not really looking forward to the next day at the job.
So all I can say is that i've been to a civil calendar and there is just about as much (if not more) drama dealing with some of those attorneys than there are with some family law clients. My point is that, unless you can leave work at work, it won't really matter what your practice is. Now, if you don't enjoy family law itself, that's a different story...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Akriant wrote:

So all I can say is that i've been to a civil calendar and there is just about as much (if not more) drama dealing with some of those attorneys than there are with some family law clients. My point is that, unless you can leave work at work, it won't really matter what your practice is. Now, if you don't enjoy family law itself, that's a different story...
Inadvertent anon. I was the first response to OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 pm

I think it’s totally reasonable that someone would find family law more draining than other kinds of law. The drama and difficulty of, say, divorcing clients is way different from the drama of corporate bigwigs losing it.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think it’s totally reasonable that someone would find family law more draining than other kinds of law. The drama and difficulty of, say, divorcing clients is way different from the drama of corporate bigwigs losing it.
Seriously. The old adage that family law is dealing with the best people at their worst moment is true. OP, is your firm just family law or is family law one of many areas? Lateralling to another family law firm that has a broader practice may be an option for you.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Akriant wrote:

You don't sound like someone who has done any family law. I think OP's position makes complete sense and that a change to a different area of lit would help.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think it’s totally reasonable that someone would find family law more draining than other kinds of law. The drama and difficulty of, say, divorcing clients is way different from the drama of corporate bigwigs losing it.
Seriously. The old adage that family law is dealing with the best people at their worst moment is true. OP, is your firm just family law or is family law one of many areas? Lateralling to another family law firm that has a broader practice may be an option for you.
Probably a lot dealing with the worst people at their worst moments as well. Doesn't sound fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:12 pm

OP: I practiced in another area of law and now do family law. It is draining. That being said, in my previous line of work, I also felt the same stress and drainage from high-pressured clients and insurance companies.

Are you sure it is not related to private practice vs. public interest/non-profit? You did PI before - mostly family law, juvenile work and other personal stuff previously - and that sounds pretty similar to what you are doing now. It may be more about the pressure of a private firm as far as hours, collections, etc. Not saying it necessarily is, but just a thought.

I will send you a PM.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:12 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
Probably a lot dealing with the worst people at their worst moments as well. Doesn't sound fun.

Nah that's the crim law adage. But point taken.

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Akriant wrote:I guess the topic says it all.

I am a 2015 graduate from a regional school in Midwest. Worked for slightly less than two years for legal aid giving out advices on variety of questions, and then mostly fam law and juvi cases. Recently-ish got a job in private practice fam law firm, mostly because bigger pay was offered. I can tell that fam law is draining me and I am contemplating an exit strategy within the next 2 or 3 years. Any ideas where it's realistic to jump into? I've invested my law school into business and transactional law back in law school (naive me).... buuut I am pretty sure the chances of getting anywhere near are nonexistent. Anyone can bounce some ideas?

Cynical advices are welcome as well =)
Have you thought about applying to city attorney or county prosecutor offices in the same region as your school? They might like your experience on juvenile cases. And with fam law, you have the court experience most offices want in assistant city attorneys or ADAs.

I'm not sure whether that will be "less draining" though. I tend to meet far more happy prosecutor and criminal defense attorneys than I do family law attorneys though.

Akriant

New

Post by Akriant » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:24 pm

This may be a bit of a necropost, but I've ended up switching fields and started as an assistant city prosecutor. So far - I am the happiest I have been ever since graduating and I actually enjoy the work that I do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”