Littler? Considering an offer from them and would appreciate any insight. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Littler? Considering an offer from them and would appreciate any insight.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 pm

I am currently a second year (2016 grad) at a full service firm (V80) practicing L&E and am strongly considering an offer to join Littler (in mid size market - office has 40 attorneys). I'm a massive L&E nerd and yes, I am ok with a significant pay cut. I hate the makeup of the L&E practice at my current firm and it feels like I'm being babysat, not getting enough meaningful experience.

Two things:
1) Would appreciate any insight anyone can share about the firm and what its like working there. Work/life balance, culture, sophistication of work, clients, etc.
2) Any thoughts on the prospects of being able to leave a boutique like littler and heading back to a full service (carvath scale) firm someday? My impression is that Littler gives its junior attorneys tons of real hands on experience, especially in litigation, and I am wondering whether I can use that to lateral into a top L&E practice at a full service firm down the road. I do wonder if those big firms would look down on my littler boutique experience and I would like to know if I am closing the door to those types of opportunities (think of a firm like Morgan lewis or Jones day)

Sincerely appreciate any input - thank you

sparty99

Gold

Re: Littler? Considering an offer from them and would appreciate any insight.

Post by sparty99 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am currently a second year (2016 grad) at a full service firm (V80) practicing L&E and am strongly considering an offer to join Littler (in mid size market - office has 40 attorneys). I'm a massive L&E nerd and yes, I am ok with a significant pay cut. I hate the makeup of the L&E practice at my current firm and it feels like I'm being babysat, not getting enough meaningful experience.

Two things:
1) Would appreciate any insight anyone can share about the firm and what its like working there. Work/life balance, culture, sophistication of work, clients, etc.
2) Any thoughts on the prospects of being able to leave a boutique like littler and heading back to a full service (carvath scale) firm someday? My impression is that Littler gives its junior attorneys tons of real hands on experience, especially in litigation, and I am wondering whether I can use that to lateral into a top L&E practice at a full service firm down the road. I do wonder if those big firms would look down on my littler boutique experience and I would like to know if I am closing the door to those types of opportunities (think of a firm like Morgan lewis or Jones day)

Why would you take a pay cut to work at another law firm doing L&E when you already do L&E? L&E is L&E. Littler has a great name, but why would you take less money to do the same thing you are currently doing? Littler is the preiminent L&E law firm. No firm looks down on what they do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:52 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am currently a second year (2016 grad) at a full service firm (V80) practicing L&E and am strongly considering an offer to join Littler (in mid size market - office has 40 attorneys). I'm a massive L&E nerd and yes, I am ok with a significant pay cut. I hate the makeup of the L&E practice at my current firm and it feels like I'm being babysat, not getting enough meaningful experience.

Two things:

Why would you take a pay cut to work at another law firm doing L&E when you already do L&E? L&E is L&E. Littler has a great name, but why would you take less money to do the same thing you are currently doing? Littler is the preiminent L&E law firm. No firm looks down on what they do.
My current firm does mostly L&E counseling and a LOT of transactional L&E work (drafting employment agreements, non competes, etc), and has almost no litigation/arbitration, which is what I actually want to be doing. This littler office is heavy litigation. L&E is a very broad practice area and at littler I would have my choice on which areas within L&E I want to focus on, since they do it all. And I guess the trade off is compensation.

Littler does more commoditized/lower rate work and I kind of wondered if other firms looked down on that

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Two things:

My current firm does mostly L&E counseling and a LOT of transactional L&E work (drafting employment agreements, non competes, etc), and has almost no litigation/arbitration, which is what I actually want to be doing. This littler office is heavy litigation. L&E is a very broad practice area and at littler I would have my choice on which areas within L&E I want to focus on, since they do it all. And I guess the trade off is compensation.

Littler does more commoditized/lower rate work and I kind of wondered if other firms looked down on that
If you don't care about pay and want more litigation expereince, then L&E is a good firm. L&E is very specialized you can go from in-house to whatever.You really shouldn't waste your time debating on whether you can join a firm like Jones Day from Littler because Littler is one of the best at what they do so you would be competitive for a job at Jones Day considering you had good grades. You can also easily do a LinkedIn search and see where Littler attorneys go after they leave the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Two things:

Totally get the counseling/transactional work point. That shit sucks (in large quantities).

As to your last point - the other firms definitely (rightly or wrongly) look down on the commoditized work Littler/Jackson Lewis/Ogletree do.

I’m at one of Jones Day, Morgan Lewis, or Proskauer. Of course, it’s a bit hypocritical as we do some of the same work... but our firm definitely views these firms as doing less sophisticated work.

That said, I don’t necessarily buy into this view.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:11 am

A quick LinkedIn search shows that Morgan Lewis has consistently hired Littler attorneys as has Jones Day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Two things:

Totally get the counseling/transactional work point. That shit sucks (in large quantities).

As to your last point - the other firms definitely (rightly or wrongly) look down on the commoditized work Littler/Jackson Lewis/Ogletree do.

I’m at one of Jones Day, Morgan Lewis, or Proskauer. Of course, it’s a bit hypocritical as we do some of the same work... but our firm definitely views these firms as doing less sophisticated work.

Damn, I was afraid of that! I thought that getting lots of substantive hands on experience (finally taking a depo on my own, for example) at Littler, even if it is on matters that are worth less money or are less "sophisticated", would be a plus 2 years from now if trying to lateral to a jones day/morgan lewis/proskaur. Do you think it might better to keep on the training wheels, stick with the work I'm getting and stay at my current firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 am

sparty99 wrote:A quick LinkedIn search shows that Morgan Lewis has consistently hired Littler attorneys as has Jones Day.
I really appreciate the input. Im going to take a look on linkedin. This was kind of my one major concern.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Two things:

Damn, I was afraid of that! I thought that getting lots of substantive hands on experience (finally taking a depo on my own, for example) at Littler, even if it is on matters that are worth less money or are less "sophisticated", would be a plus 2 years from now if trying to lateral to a jones day/morgan lewis/proskaur. Do you think it might better to keep on the training wheels, stick with the work I'm getting and stay at my current firm?
Because you are okay with the pay cut and if it's a situation where you don't do any litigation at your current firm then, leave. You should probably leave because Litter does depositions, position statements, class actions. You already have the name of a V80 and probably good grades. I have seen a lot of people go from small no-name firms or local boutiques to other Big Law firms so I don't think Littler will be an issue. Again, they are the best L&E firm even if some of their work is insurance defense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Two things:

How much are you getting offered by Littler if you don't mind me asking?

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:36 pm

I mean, if you go to Littler from a v80, it's entirely possible to then lateral back into the Vaults higher up being that you were there already, and having both the transactional side and the litigation/arbitration side of L&E would be useful no doubt. i'd say the paycut would be worth it to do the work you'd rather being doing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Two things:

160k. Significant pay cut, much better work life balance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:22 pm

mister logical wrote:I mean, if you go to Littler from a v80, it's entirely possible to then lateral back into the Vaults higher up being that you were there already, and having both the transactional side and the litigation/arbitration side of L&E would be useful no doubt. i'd say the paycut would be worth it to do the work you'd rather being doing.
I agree. I took a look on linked in, as discussed above, and found tons of attorneys who left littler after 1-3 years and went on to top tier L&E practices at full service firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Two things:

What kind of hours are you talking? 9-6?

Also, anyone know how much littler pays first year associates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Two things:

First years are region specific. My region pays 145-160k I believe? Question mark because I'm at a competitor and during interviewing that was what I heard.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Two things:

Isn't Littler's tagline "All we do is work?" I heard that it's indicative of their hours requirement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2018 7:31 pm

I have an upcoming interview with a Littler office in the tri-state area for a junior/mid-level associate position. Can anyone speak to the salary range for the NJ, NYC, and Long Island offices? From what I understand Littler's salaries are not well-advertised and I could not find this information elsewhere. Any information would be supremely helpful!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an upcoming interview with a Littler office in the tri-state area for a junior/mid-level associate position. Can anyone speak to the salary range for the NJ, NYC, and Long Island offices? From what I understand Littler's salaries are not well-advertised and I could not find this information elsewhere. Any information would be supremely helpful!
Bumping. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an upcoming interview with a Littler office in the tri-state area for a junior/mid-level associate position. Can anyone speak to the salary range for the NJ, NYC, and Long Island offices? From what I understand Littler's salaries are not well-advertised and I could not find this information elsewhere. Any information would be supremely helpful!
Bumping. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
One last bump attempt...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:31 am

Sorry, not sure. I know it is more than the 145k base for secondary markets. I would guess around 160. They may offer you close to the base (160-165) even though you are mid level. I know at least one person this has happened to. Not that this is any reflection on firm culture, other than it being fiscally conservative and ready to cut costs where it can in a competitive market.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”