Future summer associate: should I go to firm's student networking events? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Future summer associate: should I go to firm's student networking events?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Hello TLSers. I've accepted a summer associate offer from a biglaw firm in a secondary market. The firm is hosting an event tomorrow for law students. How important is it for me to attend? The firm does not have a 100% offer rate (last year they extended 17 offers, but they had 18 summers). Should I go and try to mingle with attorneys from the practice I am interested in? Or is it weird because I already have an offer? Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Future summer associate: should I go to firm's student networking events?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Is this a networking event for SAs? Or is it one of their events for 1Ls who will be interviewing in the summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:06 pm

OP here. The event is for 1Ls.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. The event is for 1Ls.
Are you a 1L?

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:08 pm

No one cares whether you attend or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 pm

I find it odd for 2Ls to attend such events prior to beginning their SA gig. I'm not really sure what prospective SAs are doing there -- they're not recruiting nor can they sell the firm to 1Ls because they haven't worked there yet. I don't think it's important for you to attend. There will be plenty of opportunities to network and meet members of the firm over the summer.

I would suggest, though, reaching out to any other 2Ls who you know summering at the firm. If they're all going, I also wouldn't want to be the only one not present (given the <100% offer rate, you don't want some random attorney holding this against you).

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:35 pm

No. The event isn't for you. It would be weird.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:50 pm

OP here. Thank you all for your help. I thought it would be weird too, but was a little hesitant. I won't attend then.

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:57 pm

In a secondary market, I would reconsider. Most of the incoming 2Ls last year at these things would stop for five minutes just to say hi, although I think in most cases they were personally familiar with their former screeners and so forth. If skipping will cause you any anxiety, just put in a brief appearance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Lesion of Doom wrote:In a secondary market, I would reconsider. Most of the incoming 2Ls last year at these things would stop for five minutes just to say hi, although I think in most cases they were personally familiar with their former screeners and so forth. If skipping will cause you any anxiety, just put in a brief appearance.
No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. It's unnecessary. You posting this is contributing to OP's anxiety by making expectations unclear.

Unless this firm is crazy weird or if they specifically ask OP to do so, events for 1Ls are not mandatory events or even expected/"suggested" events for 2Ls who accepted offers.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:58 pm

I think the right answer is that nobody cares either way.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Also, FWIW, the hard part is over for you (interviewing and landing the 2L SA gig), so no need to go to this cocktail thing. Summering is the easy part, even at a firm that gave 17/18 offers. Maybe it is typically a 100% offer firm, and there was someone who really did a terrible job as a summer (usually a social mishap that any reasonable person would have known to steer clear of, not usually poor work product because most SA work product kinda sucks). You may be shocked at how immature some of your cohorts will be, even though they landed the coveted SA position.

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:43 pm

mcmand wrote:
Lesion of Doom wrote:In a secondary market, I would reconsider. Most of the incoming 2Ls last year at these things would stop for five minutes just to say hi, although I think in most cases they were personally familiar with their former screeners and so forth. If skipping will cause you any anxiety, just put in a brief appearance.
No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. It's unnecessary. You posting this is contributing to OP's anxiety by making expectations unclear.

Unless this firm is crazy weird or if they specifically ask OP to do so, events for 1Ls are not mandatory events or even expected/"suggested" events for 2Ls who accepted offers.
I understand. But OP wouldn't have started the thread but for anxiety. Here in NC, for example, the market is hyper-local and I noticed last year as a 1L that several of the 2Ls made very brief appearances at that stuff. I agree it's fine to skip, but it's hardly a major assignment to stop by and say hello. If OP is stressing it enough to start a thread, anyway. But apologies to OP if indeed I generated any anxiety. Everyone else is right and it's fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 pm

If you want to go, ask recruiting first. No one at the firm will give a shit either way.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:43 pm

17/18 in the office or firm wide? Assuming firm wide cause I don’t think many firms take 18 SAs in secondary markets. Also, what big law firms take that few summers firm wide?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 pm

OP here. I've decided not to go. It's not like the firm invited me directly, I heard about the event by my school's CSO, so I think it's safe not to go.
RaceJudicata wrote:17/18 in the office or firm wide? Assuming firm wide cause I don’t think many firms take 18 SAs in secondary markets. Also, what big law firms take that few summers firm wide?
I assumed I was in a secondary market, but just realized it might be considered a major market. It's border line, I guess. As to the offer rate, I got that number from my CSO. Their numbers on NALP are firm wide (and they are not much higher than that btw).

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:07 am

I never went to any of this type of shit for my firm before or after my summer.

The only people who went were people who wanted free drinks/dinner where that was offered.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:55 am

My take is only go if explicitly invited by recruiting.

Loquitur Res

New

Post by Loquitur Res » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:12 pm

I went to one of these as a 2L with an offer, but I was specifically invited and work at a mid-law/ regional big law in a tertiary market.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”