Applying for law firm scholarship/position with full tuition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying for law firm scholarship/position with full tuition

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

I am a 1L looking for employment for the summer of 2018. There are several summer associate positions open to diversity students that have a scholarship for law school tied to them. I already have a full tuition scholarship from my law school and was wondering whether it would shine a bad light on me to apply for these positions. Should I address my law school scholarship in the cover letter? Would I be less or maybe even more likely to get the position if I already have full tuition?

I just really want the summer associate position and would obviously take the law firms scholarship money if they did not have a problem letting it go to housing, but I am nervous they will see it as a selfish application.

Any advice/guidance is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Applying for law firm scholarship/position with full tuition

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 pm

For tax purposes, the law firm most likely has to make the tuition payments directly to the law school - they can't pay you to defray housing or other costs. So you would probably just get the SA position and they save a bunch of cash.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For tax purposes, the law firm most likely has to make the tuition payments directly to the law school - they can't pay you to defray housing or other costs. So you would probably just get the SA position and they save a bunch of cash.
What about paying it directly to the school and the school refunds the excess up to COA? Similar to loans.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:03 pm

A lot of times these “scholarships” or “fellowships” are just extra cash to the SA. I would check with each of the places you’re applying to to find out the arrangement. A lot of places just cut you an extra check and you can do whatever you want with the money. Don’t feel bad about getting extra money on top of your full scholly either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For tax purposes, the law firm most likely has to make the tuition payments directly to the law school - they can't pay you to defray housing or other costs. So you would probably just get the SA position and they save a bunch of cash.
I have two different scholarships and both are paid directly to me. For one I had the choice of it going to the school or direct deposit into my account. The other only had direct deposit options. I use both to pay for housing/living but can't take any money above COA. I don't see why a law firm scholarship would be any different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:13 am

It will not shine a bad light on you.

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 am

August Wilson wrote:A lot of times these “scholarships” or “fellowships” are just extra cash to the SA. I would check with each of the places you’re applying to to find out the arrangement. A lot of places just cut you an extra check and you can do whatever you want with the money. Don’t feel bad about getting extra money on top of your full scholly either.
This.

hugerez

New

Post by hugerez » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L looking for employment for the summer of 2018. There are several summer associate positions open to diversity students that have a scholarship for law school tied to them. I already have a full tuition scholarship from my law school and was wondering whether it would shine a bad light on me to apply for these positions. Should I address my law school scholarship in the cover letter? Would I be less or maybe even more likely to get the position if I already have full tuition?

I just really want the summer associate position and would obviously take the law firms scholarship money if they did not have a problem letting it go to housing, but I am nervous they will see it as a selfish application.

Any advice/guidance is appreciated.
I was in a similar situation. I was a campus rep for a bar prep company, which gave out free course to reps. Then I got a scholarship for free course of my choice. There was a clause in the campus rep contract that if I got my course paid for, Id get x amount of that back in cash (I think it was roughly half). Yours might have a similar clause.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”