Follow-up today or wait until next week Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Follow-up today or wait until next week

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:36 am

I had a good interview with a law firm about an entry-level associate position being I'm going to take the bar in February and we hit it off, until I told her I had another interview the next week (which I already had yesterday and didn't like it as much) and in the follow-up to thanking her last week, I said I already would accept an offer prior to going to my next interview. She told me to see how it goes being she had to schedule my drug test and possible second interview "by the end of the year" anyway.

That would be this week because January 1st is Monday and I haven't heard back from her yet. Yesterday, I called and left a VM reiterating my interest and wishing her a Happy New Year on her work phone and haven't heard back yet. It couldn't have gone better and I felt like it was a perfect fit, Should I give it more time today and try again to follow-up via e-mail or call again or wait until next week? I would assume she was out of the office for the holiday until the 2nd next week, but the "by the end of the year" statement last week I expected to have my drug test or second interview date by now. Just wanted advice, thank you!

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: Follow-up today or wait until next week

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:41 am

Chill.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:42 am

It’s the Friday before a major holiday long weekend, in one of the quietest work weeks of the year, and you called yesterday. Give it more time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:57 am

thank you, will do.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Relax...people are only in the office this week if they absolutely have to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Everyone should be back in the office today, little insulted she hasn't returned my call yet being I left the voicemail last week wishing her a Happy New Year etc. I guess just wait until Friday at the earliest to follow-up? fml

kyle1978

New

Post by kyle1978 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Everyone should be back in the office today, little insulted she hasn't returned my call yet being I left the voicemail last week wishing her a Happy New Year etc. I guess just wait until Friday at the earliest to follow-up? fml
Incredible. You need to relax. She could be out of the office the rest of this week. She doesn't owe you anything and you shouldn't act entitled ... "Why she no call me back?!?! I WISHED HER HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!" I do not know what is more retarded. This post or the other post with the guy complaining he has to focus at work from 11am to 6pm. What the hell is wrong with you?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a good interview with a law firm about an entry-level associate position being I'm going to take the bar in February and we hit it off, until I told her I had another interview the next week (which I already had yesterday and didn't like it as much) and in the follow-up to thanking her last week, I said I already would accept an offer prior to going to my next interview. She told me to see how it goes being she had to schedule my drug test and possible second interview "by the end of the year" anyway.

That would be this week because January 1st is Monday and I haven't heard back from her yet. Yesterday, I called and left a VM reiterating my interest and wishing her a Happy New Year on her work phone and haven't heard back yet. It couldn't have gone better and I felt like it was a perfect fit, Should I give it more time today and try again to follow-up via e-mail or call again or wait until next week? I would assume she was out of the office for the holiday until the 2nd next week, but the "by the end of the year" statement last week I expected to have my drug test or second interview date by now. Just wanted advice, thank you!
Anonymous User wrote:Everyone should be back in the office today, little insulted she hasn't returned my call yet being I left the voicemail last week wishing her a Happy New Year etc. I guess just wait until Friday at the earliest to follow-up? fml
i'm quote-shaming you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:07 pm

On the way to work this morning, there was no traffic (I live in a traffic nightmare city). I’d give it another week before calling/e-mailing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Some people are still on vacation today. Also, you do realize that, when people are out of the office for a few days, they sometimes come back with pressing matters to attend to, right? It might help you to put yourself in her shoes, and realize that you may not be this person's top priority.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Top cringe-worthy post. OP sounds like he/she will work great in this career where partners and clients require immediate responses at any time of day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 pm

well ripping me apart was one way to go, but okay I'll wait I guess.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm

If you really want to get the ball rolling just show up at her office unannounced it'll demonstrate that you won't take no for an answer and that you will have the same passion when advocating for future clients.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:well ripping me apart was one way to go, but okay I'll wait I guess.
Because you sound like a pissed off 2nd grader throwing a temper tantrum because someone hasn't called you back immediately. You're not important to firms because they will always find another candidate just like you. Even once you work at a firm you're not that important. Don't blow your shot because you never learned about patience and pissed off the recruiter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:10 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:well ripping me apart was one way to go, but okay I'll wait I guess.
Because you sound like a pissed off 2nd grader throwing a temper tantrum because someone hasn't called you back immediately. You're not important to firms because they will always find another candidate just like you. Even once you work at a firm you're not that important. Don't blow your shot because you never learned about patience and pissed off the recruiter.
I'm not throwing a tantrum? I just thought it went really well that she was saying I was supposed to be scheduled for a drug test by the end of the year and it's now January 2nd, 2018. I guess it's still holiday or whatever, I'll wait. Thanks

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 pm

maybe you got dinged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:22 pm

pancakes3 wrote:maybe you got dinged.
That's why I posted, not sure if it can hurt by reaching out but didn't seem like she would just ignore me either. I'll wait a week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Maybe the partner peruses TLS and saw this post and figured she dodged a bullet by "ghosting" OP.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:23 pm

You do realize that being out for several days means that most people are coming back to multiple things that require fairly immediate attention, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:45 pm

kalvano wrote:You do realize that being out for several days means that most people are coming back to multiple things that require fairly immediate attention, right?
lol yes, if you spelled your username with a C, I'd ask if your first name started with an H. :o

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Maybe the partner peruses TLS and saw this post and figured she dodged a bullet by "ghosting" OP.
Probably, oh well. :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Update?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:Update?
Happy to say I got dinged from that firm, only to get two offers in the past week. However, one is defense med mal (local firm, probably better than the other option long-term) and the other is PI/In-house plaintiff's type of work that doesn't require billables like the defense firm. I'm starting at the plaintiff's firm this coming week and need to be prepared to draft motions etc. Both aren't the biggest firms but it's something. Thank you for checking in.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PorscheFanatic wrote:Update?
Happy to say I got dinged from that firm, only to get two offers in the past week. However, one is defense med mal (local firm, probably better than the other option long-term) and the other is PI/In-house plaintiff's type of work that doesn't require billables like the defense firm. I'm starting at the plaintiff's firm this coming week and need to be prepared to draft motions etc. Both aren't the biggest firms but it's something. Thank you for checking in.
They're having you start 1 month before you take the bar exam? Are they giving you time to study or just assuming you'll be slow at first and it'll be on you to "make time"?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”