1L SA Thread - C/O 2020 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TEIAM

Bronze

Re: 1L SA Thread - C/O 2020

Post by TEIAM » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:30 firm apps submitted (all in January), 2 callbacks, 0 offers. Had to accept my PI offer since they were gracious enough to offer me an extension but still wasn't getting any bites from diversity positions. And then literally the day I accept and the next day, I got two more firm interview invites that had ghosted me despite my having told every firm about my PI deadline literally a month beforehand. The 1L job hunt is so tragic (and I feel like recruiters are not as organized as they could be :cry: ).
Personally, I'd take the interview. It's a paying gig vs. a non-paying gig. If you handle it correctly, you won't burn bridges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:30 firm apps submitted (all in January), 2 callbacks, 0 offers. Had to accept my PI offer since they were gracious enough to offer me an extension but still wasn't getting any bites from diversity positions. And then literally the day I accept and the next day, I got two more firm interview invites that had ghosted me despite my having told every firm about my PI deadline literally a month beforehand. The 1L job hunt is so tragic (and I feel like recruiters are not as organized as they could be :cry: ).
+1 I feel you on this. So sorry to hear about your luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 pm

I feel you sir/mam. Some firms are really annoying lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:54 pm

just mild venting/reading procrastination here. 3.5 weeks ago I had what I thought was a great screener interview at NY V50, and was told I'd hear back "early next week". nothing since. I would only feel comfortable emailing them for an update if I had an offer somewhere else, which I don't. it's extra frustrating because it's not like I'm waiting on pins and needles for an offer, I still would have to come back to try to charm/be normal for a whole 'nother round. a non-update update would have been appreciated.

/end bitching.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just mild venting/reading procrastination here. 3.5 weeks ago I had what I thought was a great screener interview at NY V50, and was told I'd hear back "early next week". nothing since. I would only feel comfortable emailing them for an update if I had an offer somewhere else, which I don't. it's extra frustrating because it's not like I'm waiting on pins and needles for an offer, I still would have to come back to try to charm/be normal for a whole 'nother round. a non-update update would have been appreciated.

/end bitching.
You can ask for an update, that's not unreasonable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:18 pm

TEIAM wrote:
Personally, I'd take the interview. It's a paying gig vs. a non-paying gig. If you handle it correctly, you won't burn bridges.
I feel like most schools' career offices would not be cool with reneging bc of how unprofessional it is (other posters on TLS have mentioned that at their schools something like that could get them banned from OCI)?? Not sure what you mean by "handle correctly" though.

But in any case I decided that for me it makes a lot of sense to just take the sure thing and move on with life so I get can get back to focusing on school/those all-important grades...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just mild venting/reading procrastination here. 3.5 weeks ago I had what I thought was a great screener interview at NY V50, and was told I'd hear back "early next week". nothing since. I would only feel comfortable emailing them for an update if I had an offer somewhere else, which I don't. it's extra frustrating because it's not like I'm waiting on pins and needles for an offer, I still would have to come back to try to charm/be normal for a whole 'nother round. a non-update update would have been appreciated.

/end bitching.
+infinity! I don't understand why it's so common for recruiting to give out timelines that they probably know they can't/won't keep.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Now that my "cycle" is over, for future 1L applicants: apply broadly and don't self-select out of opportunities. I got straight rejections from random big law firms hiring 1Ls (think DLA Piper, Dechert) yet several interviews from very selective firms. (And my grades were great so I honestly can't explain what makes the difference.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:33 am

For others who have struck out with firms, what are you focusing on now?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Now that my "cycle" is over, for future 1L applicants: apply broadly and don't self-select out of opportunities. I got straight rejections from random big law firms hiring 1Ls (think DLA Piper, Dechert) yet several interviews from very selective firms. (And my grades were great so I honestly can't explain what makes the difference.)
definitely +1 to this. i got dinged from a couple less grade-selective firms and offered from some of the most grade-selective firms in the market i was going for. a friend of mine who didn't put in half the effort i did and had significantly worse grades got an offer from a firm i was rejected at. i have been told by many, including people i have interviewed with, that i am a great interviewer so i generally think 1L SAs have a big fat element of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:For others who have struck out with firms, what are you focusing on now?
Looking at researching for a professor, hopefully one of the more well known ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:For others who have struck out with firms, what are you focusing on now?
Looking at researching for a professor, hopefully one of the more well known ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Just accepted an offer with Bradley. Very excited!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:03 pm

/end bitching.
I think the "timeline" is basically for those who are selected to move on or offer. For the rest, the timeline is a joke. They will just proceed with people they prefer and wait for them to decide. If those people declined offers, they will move back to those on the waitlist... This sucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now that my "cycle" is over, for future 1L applicants: apply broadly and don't self-select out of opportunities. I got straight rejections from random big law firms hiring 1Ls (think DLA Piper, Dechert) yet several interviews from very selective firms. (And my grades were great so I honestly can't explain what makes the difference.)
definitely +1 to this. i got dinged from a couple less grade-selective firms and offered from some of the most grade-selective firms in the market i was going for. a friend of mine who didn't put in half the effort i did and had significantly worse grades got an offer from a firm i was rejected at. i have been told by many, including people i have interviewed with, that i am a great interviewer so i generally think 1L SAs have a big fat element of luck.
First, I'm sorry to say, but these are 1L positions, so EVERY firm is selective. You would not believe the number of applications they get. They are generally only looking for a few 1Ls at the most. And so it is very easy to say not to someone with a 4.0 when you have someone else with a 3.8 that would be a better fit for the firm. They are not only looking at law school grades, but also everything else on your resume. They are looking at your undergrad GPA, they are looking at your undergrad ECs, your law school ECs, your community involvement, your work experience, and yes, the color of your skin. They will look at your linkedin, your facebook, your twitter, your instagram, your directory photo, and anything else they can find on you, and if they see one thing they don't like, they will say no without hesitation because they have a stack of applications from other qualified applicants.

Also, "less grade-selective" merely means that they look at other factors besides grades. Do not fall into the trap of being arrogant because you have a high GPA. Your classmates will hate you for it, and your interviews will suffer because of it. Especially with these 1L positions, there are so many things they are looking at besides grades, because they have so many more applicants with high grades than they have spots for. Most have a "GPA cutoff" just to be considered, and after that, it's everything else that counts.

You probably are a great interviewer, but don't forget that many of the other applicants are also great interviewers. You're right, there is a huge element of luck, simply because there are so many fewer positions than they have qualified applicants. Keep your head up, you'll be in great position for OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
First, I'm sorry to say, but these are 1L positions, so EVERY firm is selective. You would not believe the number of applications they get. They are generally only looking for a few 1Ls at the most. And so it is very easy to say not to someone with a 4.0 when you have someone else with a 3.8 that would be a better fit for the firm. They are not only looking at law school grades, but also everything else on your resume. They are looking at your undergrad GPA, they are looking at your undergrad ECs, your law school ECs, your community involvement, your work experience, and yes, the color of your skin. They will look at your linkedin, your facebook, your twitter, your instagram, your directory photo, and anything else they can find on you, and if they see one thing they don't like, they will say no without hesitation because they have a stack of applications from other qualified applicants.

Also, "less grade-selective" merely means that they look at other factors besides grades. Do not fall into the trap of being arrogant because you have a high GPA. Your classmates will hate you for it, and your interviews will suffer because of it. Especially with these 1L positions, there are so many things they are looking at besides grades, because they have so many more applicants with high grades than they have spots for. Most have a "GPA cutoff" just to be considered, and after that, it's everything else that counts.

You probably are a great interviewer, but don't forget that many of the other applicants are also great interviewers. You're right, there is a huge element of luck, simply because there are so many fewer positions than they have qualified applicants. Keep your head up, you'll be in great position for OCI.
First anon. Yes, they're *all* selective. My only point is that I got interviews (and had a 100% offer rate) at firms that are super selective generally (not just for 1L jobs) or have highly-coveted 1L diversity programs yet got dinged at random big firms like dla piper without so much as a screener. So all I am saying is to apply everywhere because there are too many factors to take into account for 1L hiring such that the results may be surprising (for good and bad).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

First anon. Yes, they're *all* selective. My only point is that I got interviews (and had a 100% offer rate) at firms that are super selective generally (not just for 1L jobs) or have highly-coveted 1L diversity programs yet got dinged at random big firms like DLA Piper without so much as a screener. So all I am saying is to apply everywhere because there are too many factors to take into account for 1L hiring such that the results may be surprising (for good and bad).
What market will your SA be in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geedelma

New

Post by geedelma » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just accepted an offer with Bradley. Very excited!
What was your timeline like for the offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:43 pm

Anyone hear movement on PR LA?
Had callback last week. Said early this week

Edit: Accepted!!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear movement on PR LA?

Congrats, what were your stats?

socalguy

New

Post by socalguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear movement on PR LA?

Congrats, what were your stats?
HYS, don’t know percentile, maybe 20%?
Low socio-economic + 1/2 minority ethnicity

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gamble2

New

Post by Gamble2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:35 am

Damn, this 1L SA positions are a heavy ass judgment. They really aren't taking everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Anyone hear of any movement from Latham OC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:20 pm

any movement from any of the Boise offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Venable NY ding via email.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”