1L SA Thread - C/O 2020 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA Thread - C/O 2020

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has Latham sent offers out?
wondering the same thing...
They are in the process of making decisions. Apparently, offers are supposed to be sent out any day now.
Has anyone received an invitation to their Diversity Leadership Academy in March? I'm wondering if that is a sign of a pending ding, but that "they are interested in me for 2L recruiting" :roll:
Even if it is, it's a free trip to San Francisco, so why not? Most people that have interviewed with firms haven't even got that, so good on you for getting invited!
I got this too but can't make it. I know plenty of people who have been though and hear it is definitely a valuable experience.
for those who received the invitation, did you do a cb?
No interview with them at all

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Gibson ding! Finally!
NY or LA?
NY

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has Latham sent offers out?
wondering the same thing...
They are in the process of making decisions. Apparently, offers are supposed to be sent out any day now.
Has anyone received an invitation to their Diversity Leadership Academy in March? I'm wondering if that is a sign of a pending ding, but that "they are interested in me for 2L recruiting" :roll:
Even if it is, it's a free trip to San Francisco, so why not? Most people that have interviewed with firms haven't even got that, so good on you for getting invited!
I got this too but can't make it. I know plenty of people who have been though and hear it is definitely a valuable experience.
for those who received the invitation, did you do a cb?
CB'ed with them last Tuesday, and have only been in touch re: the diversity academy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 pm

To those waiting on PW--I've been told by a recruiter that they've concluded their 1L hiring for the summer in NY

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Any word from Hogan Lovells LA or DC? I applied 3-4 weeks ago and I've had radio silence since then

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just as a datapoint for future years, I did quite a few CBs (including flyouts) and did not net a single offer. I may just be a terrible interviewer, but don't bank on getting a 1L SA. HYS, top 25-30.
Yeah I'm feeling like this is a pretty pointless exercise as well. I have my fourth CB this week but I'm not too hopeful and I've done countless screeners. Stats: diverse but not URM, CCN, ~top 20%

Also want to add that most of them have just felt like a recruiting tool to get you interested for next summer, some more explicitly than others.
I don't think OP was implying that the exercise is pointless - it seems OP was merely saying that one should not assume that grades or school prestige will be enough to get someone a 1L SA. There are so few 1L SAs available that interview skills become so much more important than 2L. These firms are in a position where they can say no to someone with a 4.0 GPA because there are 20 more applicants that also have a 4.0 GPA. And so grades alone will NOT be enough for a 1L SA, especially when you consider it from the firm's perspective. The reason that the 1L interviews seem like a recruiting tool is because THEY ARE! As a 1L SA you provide no value to the firm beyond recruitment efforts. They will lose money on you if you don't return to the firm, and if you don't convince anyone else to go there next summer. The firm wants someone that 1) Will increase diversity 2) Will be a good lawyer 3) Will tell many of their classmates how great the firm is 4) They will enjoy working with 5) Will return the following Summer. If you get an interview, you probably have numbers 1 and 2. They already assume everyone that walks through the door is diverse and is smart. So after that, you just have 3-5 which basically comes down to having good social skills and convincing the firm that you really want to be around for the long haul. If you don't have both of these things, the firm will find someone else that does. Which also means that if you do have both of these things, there still are probably 20 other applicants that also do. At which point, it's a shot in the dark and probably just comes down to whichever applicant built the strongest connection with the interviewers, or maybe even a coin flip by the end of it. If you don't get a 1L SA then you don't! Most don't, so move on! The fact that you have had lots of CBs will at least give you an advantage at OCI. And if you do get a 1L SA, then consider yourself lucky and enjoy!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:To those waiting on PW--I've been told by a recruiter that they've concluded their 1L hiring for the summer in NY
That was very nice of them to let everyone know! Makes me really want to go there next Summer!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just as a datapoint for future years, I did quite a few CBs (including flyouts) and did not net a single offer. I may just be a terrible interviewer, but don't bank on getting a 1L SA. HYS, top 25-30.
Yeah I'm feeling like this is a pretty pointless exercise as well. I have my fourth CB this week but I'm not too hopeful and I've done countless screeners. Stats: diverse but not URM, CCN, ~top 20%

Also want to add that most of them have just felt like a recruiting tool to get you interested for next summer, some more explicitly than others.

Anecdotally, it seems like people with more prestigious or impressive pre-LS stuff have done much better (elite undergrad, prestigious W/E, fellowships, etc.). I don't know if others feel similarly, but to me it seems like this matters a lot more for 1L SA than it will for 2L. Also at a T6.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think OP was implying that the exercise is pointless - it seems OP was merely saying that one should not assume that grades or school prestige will be enough to get someone a 1L SA. There are so few 1L SAs available that interview skills become so much more important than 2L. These firms are in a position where they can say no to someone with a 4.0 GPA because there are 20 more applicants that also have a 4.0 GPA. And so grades alone will NOT be enough for a 1L SA, especially when you consider it from the firm's perspective. The reason that the 1L interviews seem like a recruiting tool is because THEY ARE! As a 1L SA you provide no value to the firm beyond recruitment efforts. They will lose money on you if you don't return to the firm, and if you don't convince anyone else to go there next summer. The firm wants someone that 1) Will increase diversity 2) Will be a good lawyer 3) Will tell many of their classmates how great the firm is 4) They will enjoy working with 5) Will return the following Summer. If you get an interview, you probably have numbers 1 and 2. They already assume everyone that walks through the door is diverse and is smart. So after that, you just have 3-5 which basically comes down to having good social skills and convincing the firm that you really want to be around for the long haul. If you don't have both of these things, the firm will find someone else that does. Which also means that if you do have both of these things, there still are probably 20 other applicants that also do. At which point, it's a shot in the dark and probably just comes down to whichever applicant built the strongest connection with the interviewers, or maybe even a coin flip by the end of it. If you don't get a 1L SA then you don't! Most don't, so move on! The fact that you have had lots of CBs will at least give you an advantage at OCI. And if you do get a 1L SA, then consider yourself lucky and enjoy!
Cool story bro, thanks for the semantic distinction.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anecdotally, it seems like people with more prestigious or impressive pre-LS stuff have done much better (elite undergrad, prestigious W/E, fellowships, etc.). I don't know if others feel similarly, but to me it seems like this matters a lot more for 1L SA than it will for 2L. Also at a T6.
Not the case at my CCN. Most have been younger or straight thru with not impressive backgrounds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not the case at my CCN. Most have been younger or straight thru with not impressive backgrounds.
This has and hasn't been my experience at a T13. It seems like applicants need SOMETHING on their resume, but it doesn't necessarily need to be super impressive or prestigious. For the most part, it's just the people that are well-liked that are getting offers.

Wallyplatypus

New

Post by Wallyplatypus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same. CCN. Two people at my section who got 1L SA are straight thru. They are both very articulate and got good grades last semester.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm pretty much "straight through" and got a 1L SA. I believe that it was simply grades combined with pure luck (dont see myself as particularly articulate or anything especially unique)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty much "straight through" and got a 1L SA. I believe that it was simply grades combined with pure luck (dont see myself as particularly articulate or anything especially unique)
Where is your 1L SA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty much "straight through" and got a 1L SA. I believe that it was simply grades combined with pure luck (dont see myself as particularly articulate or anything especially unique)
Where is your 1L SA?
I'm not comfortable posting it on here since there were so few offers at the firm, but it is at a V5

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:21 am

So any DC movement recently??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Has anyone heard anything about Boies Schiller's 1L Diversity Fellowship?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 pm

For those that have received post CB invites to Latham’s diversity conference but haven’t received offers yet, does this mean we’re out of the running for the 1L positions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:28 pm

anyone hear from Ropes & Gray or Hogan Lovells?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 pm

I applied to like 50 1L SAs last year and ended up with 2 offers and 4 callbacks. One of the non-offers was explicitly because I was .1 below their GPA cutoff. Its a lot about interviewing, clicking with people and coming off like someone that will funnel people in your class to their firm at OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from Ropes & Gray or Hogan Lovells?
I have a screener scheduled next week for one of HL's offices

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 pm

I received a Skadden ding for NYC.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenlanpern

New

Post by Greenlanpern » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Anyone have any info on verizon internship? timeline? My understanding is that after video interview is phone interview. true?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Greenlanpern wrote:Anyone have any info on verizon internship? timeline? My understanding is that after video interview is phone interview. true?
I did the video interview late last week and got an email this week with a link to submit a cover letter, resume, and transcript. The email said "Your information will be reviewed by our Verizon business representatives to see if your experience and skills are a match for the available opportunities. If so, you’ll be invited to a Super Day interview event at one of our office locations."

I ended up accepting an SA offer on the day I received the Verizon email, so I never submitted my CL, resume, and transcript.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those that have received post CB invites to Latham’s diversity conference but haven’t received offers yet, does this mean we’re out of the running for the 1L positions?
+1 on this. my feeling is that since they only have 1-2 1L positions for each office, offers have likely already gone out. we might have a chance if anyone declines their offer and they start going down the list, but for now it seems bleak..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”