1L SA Thread - C/O 2020 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
addie1412

Silver

Re: 1L SA Thread - C/O 2020

Post by addie1412 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything from ATL and/or NC firms as far as interviews/screeners or even just rejections? I applied to some firms on December 1 but also some after the new year. The only firm I’ve heard back from is an Alston & Bird screener. Anybody progress for any one else? Does this region usually wait for grades? I go to a T-10 and I have pretty solid ties to both markets for what it’s worth.
Still wondering about this.
No word from NC firms here
Last edited by addie1412 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything from ATL and/or NC firms as far as interviews/screeners or even just rejections? I applied to some firms on December 1 but also some after the new year. The only firm I’ve heard back from is an Alston & Bird screener. Anybody progress for any one else? Does this region usually wait for grades? I go to a T-10 and I have pretty solid ties to both markets for what it’s worth.
Still wondering about this.
Offer from KT (ATL).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 pm

I've had 2 screeners and 4 other firms contact me via email to submit grades. Are these latter grade requests fairly common (assuming they are)? I'm at around median in LA/TX market at UT/UCLA/USC and I'm URM - any chance assuming average to above average interviewing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:ding from Orrick after sending grades
Know what your % is within the class?
And what office? URM?
Around top 20-25%, diverse but not URM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've had 2 screeners and 4 other firms contact me via email to submit grades. Are these latter grade requests fairly common (assuming they are)? I'm at around median in LA/TX market at UT/UCLA/USC and I'm URM - any chance assuming average to above average interviewing?
Yes, most firms for diversity initiatives don't hire until they've seen first-semester grades. I had interviews before grades too but was told no offers would be made until grades were sent over.

You can never know if you have a chance because it all depends on the firm and the competition. Most firms won't offer in-person interviews until they've seen grades. But you have to send your grades in regardless so you might as well do it sooner rather than later so you can come up with a contingency plan if things don't go as hoped.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Are people getting callbacks yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are people getting callbacks yet?
Yes, know of call-backs in the Bay Area and in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Any word on STL firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Does anyone know if it's normal to just hear NOTHING from firms? I sent quite a few apps via email (no online application process available) and a few of them have just had zero response. No confirmation of receipt or anything. Should I assume that they're on it and just don't have time to acknowledge every single application?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if it's normal to just hear NOTHING from firms? I sent quite a few apps via email (no online application process available) and a few of them have just had zero response. No confirmation of receipt or anything. Should I assume that they're on it and just don't have time to acknowledge every single application?
Yep it's normal. I've sent e-mails with no acknowledgment and to which they've later been replied when they wanted to bring me in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if it's normal to just hear NOTHING from firms? I sent quite a few apps via email (no online application process available) and a few of them have just had zero response. No confirmation of receipt or anything. Should I assume that they're on it and just don't have time to acknowledge every single application?
Yep it's normal. I've sent e-mails with no acknowledgment and to which they've later been replied when they wanted to bring me in.
I got no replies for most of the process. Got a single callback. Turned it into a job. Don't lose hope.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 pm

Make sure you're still applying for other jobs while you wait. Each day, positions for 1L summers at other organizations and government agencies fill up. You're better off having competing offers if a 1L SA comes through than waiting until March, having nothing, and then working with the dregs for 1L summer.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who has applied to STB received a confirmation email or any kind? I applied a few weeks ago and have not heard anything.
I know of 2 people who have gotten offers (NYC office)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 am

Has anyone heard anything from K & E (NYC)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from K & E (NYC)?
No, but I know they’re doing Spring OCI at my school specifically for NY office in about 2 weeks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
No, but I know they’re doing Spring OCI at my school specifically for NY office in about 2 weeks
For 1L summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
For 1L summer?
Yeah, it’s odd but it looks like they’re going to interview about 25-30 people once grades come out. I’m at an MVPD

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
For 1L summer?
Yeah, it’s odd but it looks like they’re going to interview about 25-30 people once grades come out. I’m at an MVPD
Interesting. I got an e-mail from their recruitment person yesterday asking for an official transcript. I was curious if it was a good sign since it was an actual personalized e-mail or if it's something they sent to everyone that applied.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm

mcmand wrote:Make sure you're still applying for other jobs while you wait. Each day, positions for 1L summers at other organizations and government agencies fill up. You're better off having competing offers if a 1L SA comes through than waiting until March, having nothing, and then working with the dregs for 1L summer.
Is there any point applying to positions you know will give offers well before firms do? Seems like a waste of time since I'd turn them down if I hadn't heard back from most of the firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
For 1L summer?
Interesting. I got an e-mail from their recruitment person yesterday asking for an official transcript. I was curious if it was a good sign since it was an actual personalized e-mail or if it's something they sent to everyone that applied.
Kirkland's LA office has 15 slots for interviews at Winter OCI for 1Ls. Seems like a lot of people to interview at one school when they must only hire 1-2 for the office total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mcmand wrote:Make sure you're still applying for other jobs while you wait. Each day, positions for 1L summers at other organizations and government agencies fill up. You're better off having competing offers if a 1L SA comes through than waiting until March, having nothing, and then working with the dregs for 1L summer.
Is there any point applying to positions you know will give offers well before firms do? Seems like a waste of time since I'd turn them down if I hadn't heard back from most of the firms.
Yes. I have two offers from my top non-firm choices. I was like "wow, I am so honored to have been offered a position with X and am excited about the possibility of working with you. However, I have a few more interviews I have obligated myself to do before sitting down with my family and making a final decision. What's your policy regarding how long I have to formally accept?" Both of them were super lax and were like just let us know when you can we are talking an unpaid internship that starts in May so. I told them mid-February. I also don't have grades yet so while I've had interviews, so idea if I'll qualify for a firm job since I'm right outside the T14

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The above poster has it right. You ask for flexibility. I'm telling you, you will be left holding the bag if you hold out for hearing back from firms.

The firms wait to say much of anything, even while they interview candidates. And they can wait an awful long time. If you're holding out through February, you should realize your chances are diminishing each day. I would find out about peers getting 1L SAs in January and February, and then one or two months later I would get a rejection letter.

You're better off having applied to something else you still want, and if you are in the situation where you are going to back out of your existing commitment for a 1L SA, you're better off than if you waited and had nothing.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Cooley ding. Kind of surprised given other interview requests I've gotten.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cooley ding. Kind of surprised given other interview requests I've gotten.
Was it an actual ding or them saying they weren't hiring? I also got an email, but it said they weren't adding a diversity fellow for their LA office!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cooley ding. Kind of surprised given other interview requests I've gotten.
Was it an actual ding or them saying they weren't hiring? I also got an email, but it said they weren't adding a diversity fellow for their LA office!
Different poster than the abov anon, but I got a ding from the LA office a few weeks ago. No mention that they weren't taking anyone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”