1L SA Thread - C/O 2020 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA Thread - C/O 2020

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:21 pm

If we haven't had any screeners by now I'm guessing the boat has sailed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting to get worried... no screeeners/CB top 25% @MVP
How many applications did you put out? These 1L SA positions are tough to get. I am top 10% at T13 and put out 120 applications, only to have 5 of them offer me interviews.
No intention of humble bragging, but for informational purposes, I submitted about 20 applications and got 9 screeners and 2 CBs so far. Anyone else want to share their results?
Submitted around 30-40 apps (broadly throughout Texas). Four callbacks pre-grades. Once I got very high grades back + immediate offer from top choice, withdrew from around 75% of firms I applied. Four callbacks post grades (only one had a screener). Three total offers but immediate one had a tight deadline so I had to decide quickly, happy with my choice though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How many applications did you put out? These 1L SA positions are tough to get. I am top 10% at T13 and put out 120 applications, only to have 5 of them offer me interviews.
No intention of humble bragging, but for informational purposes, I submitted about 20 applications and got 9 screeners and 2 CBs so far. Anyone else want to share their results?
15 apps. 2 screeners. 3 CBs (one firm went straight to CB).
20 apps. 1 screener. 4 CBs (3 firms went straight to CB). No offers yet... Great experience tho :roll:
How long ago were your CBs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are these all in a market you have some connection to? That seems like an absurdly high number of apps and low number of interviews for your stats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
20 apps. 1 screener. 4 CBs (3 firms went straight to CB). No offers yet... Great experience tho :roll:
2 are confirmed dings; 1 was on Friday with hope alive; 1 is tomorrow...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@ the 1L Kirkland diversity scholar acceptance above - was this for the conference only or SA + conference?

Just the 2 day event in NYC. I don't think they offer SA opportunities for 1L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:00 pm

What cities are y’all applying to?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:00 pm

What cities are y’all applying to?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
2 are confirmed dings; 1 was on Friday with hope alive; 1 is tomorrow...
Turnaround time from CB to the dings?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:@ the 1L Kirkland diversity scholar acceptance above - was this for the conference only or SA + conference?

Just the 2 day event in NYC. I don't think they offer SA opportunities for 1L
They definitely do offer SAs in some offices, I got dinged post-screener and they did Winter OCI at my school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are these all in a market you have some connection to? That seems like an absurdly high number of apps and low number of interviews for your stats.
International student, so no connection to any of the markets. It's a tough go! Fortunately, all those 5 are still alive, just no offer yet!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi guys.

I had 7 1L SA interviews and have strong work experience (2 years in an in-house legal department), but have gotten dinged from all of them except one (still haven't heard back yet - hopefully by Fri.) My grades are above median and good, but could definitely be better. I just got rejected from a firm where I had really great and positive conversations with several partners.

My question: does 1L SA hiring focus even more on grades than 2L OCI? One of my grades is just above median, and the other is high above. So am I getting rejected because of that one borderline grade, or because I interview poorly (I've gotten positive feedback on my interviewing style, but I'm trying to look for anything to improve come 2L OCI.)

Sorry for sounding neurotic af. I just put so much work into these apps and interviews and I feel like I'm reaping nothing for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys.

I had 7 1L SA interviews and have strong work experience (2 years in an in-house legal department), but have gotten dinged from all of them except one (still haven't heard back yet - hopefully by Fri.) My grades are above median and good, but could definitely be better. I just got rejected from a firm where I had really great and positive conversations with several partners.

My question: does 1L SA hiring focus even more on grades than 2L OCI? One of my grades is just above median, and the other is high above. So am I getting rejected because of that one borderline grade, or because I interview poorly (I've gotten positive feedback on my interviewing style, but I'm trying to look for anything to improve come 2L OCI.)

Sorry for sounding neurotic af. I just put so much work into these apps and interviews and I feel like I'm reaping nothing for it.
Are you at a T13 and what market were you targeting?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:26 pm

Anyone else wachtell CB?

Quatress

New

Post by Quatress » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm at T6, and I was targeting a number of markets: California (Silicon Valley), DC, and Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at T6, and I was targeting a number of markets: California (Silicon Valley), DC, and Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

7 screeners or 7 callbacks? I mean it certainly is more selective because they have more candidates for fewer spots, 2L OCI requires less interviewing skill and softs I believe (at least relative to apply for 1L positions)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:08 pm

Any more LA movement (Venable, Jones Day etc.)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you have ties to those markets? That's a lot of SA interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else wachtell CB?
Stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:55 pm

For NY, thank you emails aren't expected or required after call backs, right? My career services keeps saying to, but I find it way to awkward and formal considering the informality of the interviews.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How many of the interviews were screeners vs. callbacks? Did you apply for diversity positions or just 1L SA spots in general? What types of firms did you apply to? How many firms did you apply to?

Non-diversity 1L SA positions are extremely competitive and honestly pretty luck dependent. Don't take a lack of success as a failure - you'll do great at OCI. Especially if you're top 20% or so at Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For NY, thank you emails aren't expected or required after call backs, right? My career services keeps saying to, but I find it way to awkward and formal considering the informality of the interviews.
I haven't been sending them -- it's too much effort to write an individualized email for a person who I talked to for 20 minutes, plus whatever report they wrote about me is already written by the time I get around to sending it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How many of the interviews were screeners vs. callbacks? Did you apply for diversity positions or just 1L SA spots in general? What types of firms did you apply to? How many firms did you apply to?

Non-diversity 1L SA positions are extremely competitive and honestly pretty luck dependent. Don't take a lack of success as a failure - you'll do great at OCI. Especially if you're top 20% or so at Chicago.
These were a mix of diversity positions and regular 1L SA spots. I had 5 in-person callback interviews. For all except one, there was no initial screener. I applied to about 20 firms, and I had ties to the region for all the ones I got callbacks for. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement (greatly, greatly appreciated!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Have ppl here targeted/heard back from ATL firms like Jones Day/Alston & Bird or is this more of a NYC/TX biglaw thread?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”