1L SA Thread - C/O 2020 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA Thread - C/O 2020

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Go to a t13 school. Got median grades first semester. Struck out in my insular home market (5 firms, anywhere from 1-2 SA's to 6 per class). Not a huge sample size, but I thought going to a t13 would put me a big leg up. Do median t13 students pretty much have to work in NYC?
sounds like you're assuming (or not) that t13 students with median grades are shoe-ins for the NYC market, which they most certainly aren't... there are so few 1L SA positions that even with such a large market like NYC, firms can take their pick of students who all have top notch grades...
Wasn't assuming, and also meant more so for 2L hiring. I'm comparing other markets with NYC, and (a) it's obvious NYC has way bigger classes than every other market by an almost significant margin (b) it seems people with higher grades (at least from my school) don't go to NYC whereas people with median grades almost always end up there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Go to a t13 school. Got median grades first semester. Struck out in my insular home market (5 firms, anywhere from 1-2 SA's to 6 per class). Not a huge sample size, but I thought going to a t13 would put me a big leg up. Do median t13 students pretty much have to work in NYC?
Dude how have you not gotten yet that 1L SAs are way more competitive than regular SAs, stop being dramatic.
Not being dramatic, but I can see how you came to that conclusion since I didn't provide a lot of info. I'm well aware 1L SA's are extremely difficult to get, which is why I only applied to my home market. I am somewhat disturbed because my school's OCI doc shows those firms hiring below median, and that market primarily hire their classes as 1Ls. This makes me anxious as I was not expecting to strike out in my home market. They'll still hire a handful of 2ls though, and I haven't heard back from everyone yet, so perhaps I am being dramatic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything from KE NY other than dings? CBs? Any CB -> offer?
Got a CB invite about a week ago after a transcript request
have you cb-ed yet? just wondering if they have filled all there NY spots...
Yep. ^ hard to know how many spots are left from such anecdotal data though... they don't tell us anything :(
^+1. They didnt get us stats. Are you also waiting to hear back after cb? when was yours?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything from KE NY other than dings? CBs? Any CB -> offer?
Yep. ^ hard to know how many spots are left from such anecdotal data though... they don't tell us anything :(
^+1. They didnt get us stats. Are you also waiting to hear back after cb? when was yours?
I am. Would rather not get too specific but was fewer than 7 business days ago, hbu?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Dude how have you not gotten yet that 1L SAs are way more competitive than regular SAs, stop being dramatic.
Not being dramatic, but I can see how you came to that conclusion since I didn't provide a lot of info. I'm well aware 1L SA's are extremely difficult to get, which is why I only applied to my home market. I am somewhat disturbed because my school's OCI doc shows those firms hiring below median, and that market primarily hire their classes as 1Ls. This makes me anxious as I was not expecting to strike out in my home market. They'll still hire a handful of 2ls though, and I haven't heard back from everyone yet, so perhaps I am being dramatic.
So you know that 1L SAs are extremely competitive but you didn't expect to strike out at median and you think that's indicative of future job prospects. Am I following that logic right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am. Would rather not get too specific but was fewer than 7 business days ago, hbu?
More than 7 business days. It's hard to predict the timeline from CB-offer for 1L positions. Each firm just varies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
So you know that 1L SAs are extremely competitive but you didn't expect to strike out at median and you think that's indicative of future job prospects. Am I following that logic right?
No, you're just a bad reader.

I didn't expect to strike out in my home market which hires their summer classes as 1Ls, as opposed to the normal practice of primarily hiring 2ls.

Edit - also, I have not struck out yet, which is why the dramatic criticism is probably fair
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else interviewing with DLA?
I have a skype interview with the LA office next week
What have you been able to find out about them? the lack of a NALP entry makes things more difficult.
Sorry, not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about summer employment data in general or facts about the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What have you been able to find out about them? the lack of a NALP entry makes things more difficult.
Sorry, not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about summer employment data in general or facts about the firm?
Generally what the LA office focuses on in terms of practice areas and how many they hire.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Generally what the LA office focuses on in terms of practice areas and how many they hire.
I'm pretty clueless on the second part as well, but for the first part, I just went to the firms website and either read their little intro as to what they focus on or clicked through the bios for most of the partners and deducted what the location's focus was in terms of practice areas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Has Skadden NY or DC made offers yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:50 am

Got PW CB last week and an offer two days later, which I accepted. Super excited!

Top 5-10% at a T40, IP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Anyone hear from Morgan Lewis SF for 1L Diversity?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

socalguy

New

Post by socalguy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:24 pm

1L Diversity (All LA offices)

CB: SA / PH / PR

Ding: W&C, K&E, D&L, KM, PC, MoFo, Dechert, K&S, DW

Waiting: OMM, Latham, Venable, BS, BSF, COC, F&L, MTO, GP, GT

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have screeners gone out for K&E Boston yet?
Wondering the same. Anyone get a CB or screener?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:29 pm

socalguy wrote:1L Diversity (All LA offices)

CB: SA / PH / PR

Ding: W&C, K&E, D&L, KM, PC, MoFo, Dechert, K&S, DW

Waiting: OMM, Latham, Venable, BS, BSF, COC, F&L, MTO, GP, GT

you went straight to CB for PR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:05 pm

White and Case ding with the staple: "However, you have quite an impressive record and we very much hope that you will apply to us for a position in our 2019 Summer Program."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has Skadden NY or DC made offers yet?
NY has.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Morgan Lewis Ding

RecruiterMan

New

Post by RecruiterMan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Morgan Lewis Ding
should've worn some patent leather shoes to the interview I'm telling ya

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Which office?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:White and Case ding with the staple: "However, you have quite an impressive record and we very much hope that you will apply to us for a position in our 2019 Summer Program."
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but that is literally the exact same email that every firm sends when they ding someone. It is likely a standard email that W&C sends to everyone that they ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:41 pm

RecruiterMan wrote:
should've worn some patent leather shoes to the interview I'm telling ya
I have worn patent leather shoes to every interview I have had with the 8 firms that have offered me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Just got a ding from White & Case DC

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:White and Case ding with the staple: "However, you have quite an impressive record and we very much hope that you will apply to us for a position in our 2019 Summer Program."
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but that is literally the exact same email that every firm sends when they ding someone. It is likely a standard email that W&C sends to everyone that they ding.
There's no bubble to burst. See my use of "staple."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”