Best DC Firms for Making Partner

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best DC Firms for Making Partner

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Title pretty much says it all. My SO and I are moving to DC and are trying to figure out which firms provide the best chance to make partner (I know, I know, the odds are not great at any firm). FWIW, senior litigation associate at a V5 in NYC.

Inside info on any firm would be helpful. Mainly focused on big firms, but could be open to a litigation boutique if it's the right fit. Also focused on general commercial litigation and/or antitrust.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Re: Best DC Firms for Making Partner

Postby grand inquisitor » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Williams & Connolly

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:51 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:Williams & Connolly
My impression was that they don't take senior laterals. Is that right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 pm

No inside info, but you should work with a headhunter. Your situation comes up quite a bit.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Your own

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:41 pm

As a senior lateral, are you potentially bringing any clients? That could make a big difference in finding a firm willing to entertain partnership.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:59 pm

UVA2B wrote:As a senior lateral, are you potentially bringing any clients? That could make a big difference in finding a firm willing to entertain partnership.

Lol a senior associate is not bringing clients from a V5

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:07 am

Johann wrote:
UVA2B wrote:As a senior lateral, are you potentially bringing any clients? That could make a big difference in finding a firm willing to entertain partnership.

You're probably right, but it's not insane to think a senior associate could bring work for the firm, which would directly factor into partnership. Even at a V5 (to the extent that even matters), senior associates can develop relationships that could lead to carrying the business to a new firm, so long as that firm can continue to provide the type of service they need.

It's disingenuously dismissive to think a senior associate at a big firm couldn't possibly gain the trust of a client where they would migrate with that associate. That sort of business poaching happens all the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Johann wrote:

You're probably right, but it's not insane to think a senior associate could bring work for the firm, which would directly factor into partnership. Even at a V5 (to the extent that even matters), senior associates can develop relationships that could lead to carrying the business to a new firm, so long as that firm can continue to provide the type of service they need.

It's disingenuously dismissive to think a senior associate at a big firm couldn't possibly gain the trust of a client where they would migrate with that associate. That sort of business poaching happens all the time.
Not bringing any clients, no.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:12 pm

New and growing boutiques are the answer.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Nebby wrote:Your own

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:New and growing boutiques are the answer.

The right boutique will probably give the best chance, with new and growing ones probably on the higher side of that chance. Some boutiques never make anyone partner since they want the power and money concentrated in the current partners; others hire with the mentality that they'd like to offer partnership to every associate hired as long as they stay there long enough and don't suck.

everythingbagel

New

Postby everythingbagel » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Last edited by everythingbagel on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:34 am

By partner, do you mean equity?

If you're referring to just title, I know a lot of DC firms that have high % chances of making "counsel."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:46 am

gaddockteeg wrote:By partner, do you mean equity?

If you're referring to just title, I know a lot of DC firms that have high % chances of making "counsel."
Yes, I'm primarily talking about equity partner. But, for the sake of completeness, I'd be interested to hear about firms with a high chance at counsel as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Anecdotal and very likely incorrect info:

First, Williams / Connolly and Covington come to mind. I’ve also heard positive things about the chances of equity at Jenner Block as well as Arnold Porter KS. Jenner’s partner track is super long from what I’ve heard — varying levels of nonequity partnership before equity.

As for counsel, obvious answers are Kirkland and Akin Gump which treat “counsel” and “non equity partner” as basically senior associates.

Also BuckleySandler. My friend is there and I think over 75% of senior associates make counsel. Counsel to Partner is another story though.

Lastly ive heard of decent chances at equity at arent fox too.

run26.2

Silver

Postby run26.2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:New and growing boutiques are the answer.

Out of curiosity, how many dc-based firms would you put in this category?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotal and very likely incorrect info:

First, Williams / Connolly and Covington come to mind. I’ve also heard positive things about the chances of equity at Jenner Block as well as Arnold Porter KS. Jenner’s partner track is super long from what I’ve heard — varying levels of nonequity partnership before equity.

As for counsel, obvious answers are Kirkland and Akin Gump which treat “counsel” and “non equity partner” as basically senior associates.

Also BuckleySandler. My friend is there and I think over 75% of senior associates make counsel. Counsel to Partner is another story though.

Williams & Connolly doesn't take laterals, right? That's what I assumed. I know once in a long while they'll take a lateral partner, but I thought lateral associates was never a thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Williams & Connolly doesn't take laterals, right? That's what I assumed. I know once in a long while they'll take a lateral partner, but I thought lateral associates was never a thing.
I’ve seen some Cravath/Davis Polk/Skadden/etc first- and (on at least one occasion) second-years lateral to W&C without coming off of clerkships. I haven’t seen a lateral mid level though. And def not a senior associate. Only two lateral partners ever at the firm were a tax guy & someone from the SG’s office

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I’ve seen some Cravath/Davis Polk/Skadden/etc first- and (on at least one occasion) second-years lateral to W&C without coming off of clerkships. I haven’t seen a lateral mid level though. And def not a senior associate. Only two lateral partners ever at the firm were a tax guy & someone from the SG’s office

Pretty sure the stated policy is that they won't take laterals after the fourth year. Not sure how that works in practice though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:46 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Very interesting, thanks. Anyone else?

I suppose it would also be helpful to know which firms provide slim/no chance at equity partner.

Return to “Legal Employment?