Thoughts on choosing a career? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts on choosing a career?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Recently got an offer for an account executive position at a software company in SF through a friend’s connection. Interviewed for this position just to see what else is out there. The position involves working with clients and expanding clientele through revenue targets for growth. Salary will be around 120-130k plus stock. Wondering whether this is worth pursuing over a typical big law offer.

I’m not married to the idea of practicing law as long as another career path can lead to a successful future career.

Anonymous User

Re: Thoughts on choosing a career?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 pm

what are your other current options? do you have a big law offer and if so, in what market / practice area?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:29 pm

OP here, I have a big law offer in general
corporate department in a major market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Without knowing a whole lot about the opportunity, I think it would be worthwhile to consider the no. Law option. Although starting pay is lower, you may be in a better position to set yourself up to grow in a much less punishing, more forward-thinking industry. I would solicit info about the specific company and the tech field I. Which you’d be working more generally.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 pm

BernieTrump would urge you to take the account exec position. I'd agree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Honestly, a few years into biglaw, most people I know are praying and hoping for a job similar to your non-legal exit. Biglaw grinds you down and it's not easy to get out when you start feeling too burned out to keep going.

I know a lot of people who got completely demoralized after a long stretch of search with no exit options panning out and ended up quitting without a job lined up.

ETA: I realize that sounds really defeatist. I would just encourage you to think about why you want to do biglaw, and what you want to get out of it. If there is somewhere you really want to end up that requires a stint in biglaw, such as practicing in a midlaw firm, or going to an in-house role, than I would look closely at *those* roles. Research how likely you are to get them from the firm and practice you're thinking of entering, when people are able to leave, and what the hours, tasks, lifestyles, salaries are for your potential exit jobs. Compare those to the non-law job you have in hand. Basically, I strongly suggest that you look at biglaw as a means to an end if you choose to take it over your non-law option. It is pretty safe to assume that you will not enjoy biglaw for long, or find it sustainable long-term.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”