Choosing Between Jobs Post-Clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Choosing Between Jobs Post-Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 am

[Deleted]

Thanks for the insight, everyone.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Re: Choosing Between Jobs Post-Clerkship

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Sounds like you have two great options, and this should largely come down to your personal preference.

I would personally be more interested in the SG's office job, but I do wonder if starting with appellate work so early in your career might box you in so that, when you apply for federal jobs later on, you will only be a strong candidate for appellate jobs (which are themselves very hard to get). It might be difficult to land a spot as an AUSA trial attorney when you have almost no trial level experience (except for your clerkship, I assume).

In short - the biglaw job probably will have better exit options, and of course has better pay. The SG job will probably be more interesting and offer better QOL.

flashdril

New

Post by flashdril » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Last edited by flashdril on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:25 pm

I doubt you could lateral easily into biglaw after a few years at a state SG's office. There are relatively few biglaw appellate jobs and I don't see much demand for midlevel appellate associates. You see more people starting in biglaw, leaving and coming back. There's a perception in biglaw (rightly or wrongly) that a lot of government work is not as sophisticated as biglaw work, and many in biglaw discount government experience unless it's highly specialized. If you did go the SG route, it might help to develop a subject-matter specialty.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Former DCt/CoA clerk now in biglaw with similar career ambitions.

Doing biglaw first keeps more options open down the road. I don't think state SG's office is going to be shut off from you if you do biglaw first, but the opposite would be much tougher. Try to get some appellate work at your firm. It isn't always the easiest, but with a fed appellate clerkship you should be able to get some. Also, you can bank a clerkship bonus substantially higher salary for a few years, before deciding what you want to do.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the responses so far. For further information, I'm in an appellate clerkship (so I wouldn't have the trial court experience that Rowinguy suggested).

I think I'd really enjoy the SG's office, and think it's a unique opportunity. I would like to make it work if it doesn't hamstring me for the rest of my career (which would likely be general litigation if not the mentioned government work).

Is it ever possible to enter a big law firm at a lower level (think a third year) even if I have more experience? Would that help with the difficulty in lateraling?
I don't think the bolded is really a thing.

OP, given your most recent post, I think you should go to the SG's office. I, and a lot of people on this board, spend a lot of time thinking about exit options - this is appropriate and understandable, but to some degree you have to focus on the now. I agree that the SG's office will be a fun/unique opportunity, and most people think biglaw really, really sucks. I am one of those people.

If over the next couple years you decide that appellate isn't for you or you want to change paths, you will probably have to put in some work to pivot (maybe you could switch to the trial division of your state's attorney general's office?) but it seems like you are capable of doing so and you will still have a great, even if specialized, resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Easy choice. Accept the big law job, pay off substantial debt, keep in contact with state SG hiring managers, if you don't like big law after one, two, three, four years, jump ship to state SG or to your preferred federal option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”