Stub year vacation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stub year vacation

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Big law stub year here. Ok for me to take all 5 of my vacation days this year? I would be out until January 2nd then if I timed it for the weekend before christmas. Idk I feel like it will be frowned upon since everyone at the firm will pretty much know/see it. (We get daily emails about who is OOO and until when).

I also feel bad because my hours have been slow with me billing only 50 hours last month. Billed 150 the month before and probably will only bill about 80 this month If I go on vacation. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot and not have people not give me work next year. I'm at a free market kind of place, so it's probably my fault for not networking more and hustling for more work in November.

gingerbread

New

Re: Stub year vacation

Post by gingerbread » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm a stub with low hours, and I'm taking a few days off for Christmas. Most people in my year are taking at least a day or two, if not more.

Even if you stick around, there might not be much to do. I couldn't bill anything for two of my biggest cases even if I wanted to because the clients aren't willing to spend any more money until 2018 -- new year, new budget.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Should be totally fine IMO. Things are 90% dead the week between Christmas and New Year's anyway. If you feel like trying to get extra credit, could be worth reaching out to people you've worked with to let them know you can be available remotely if needed; it probably won't come up anyway but it projects some enthusiasm.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:07 pm

your vacation is part of your compensation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:05 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Should be totally fine IMO. Things are 90% dead the week between Christmas and New Year's anyway. If you feel like trying to get extra credit, could be worth reaching out to people you've worked with to let them know you can be available remotely if needed; it probably won't come up anyway but it projects some enthusiasm.
I know this is more true for lit than corporate, but a lot of bankers want to close deals before the year ends.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”