Analyzing a new job offer, should I take it? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ATLien2016

New

Analyzing a new job offer, should I take it?

Post by ATLien2016 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:39 pm

I am analyzing a new job offer. I’m honestly unsure if I should make a move.

A little background on my current job (without giving away too many details)

CURRENT:
- Top tier non-profit (brand name, “prestigious”)
- Over 500 employees (this org is VERY VERY structured)
- $68K salary (45-50 work hours per week)
- Been with this institution for 1.5 years. Prior to that I did similar work at a no-name non profit for 1 year)
- Work environment can be stuffy at times but people are generally laid back. I am not one of the “favorites” on my team (although I have had great performance reviews). I’ve gotten excellent, best in-class training from this institution.

NEW:
- Small law firm (unknown firm, not prestigious but gets a lot of work in their practice area; work would be similar to what I am currently doing but would be a lot less complex. Should be noted that the firm had a financial issue two years ago but seemed to have picked up the business)
- 35 employees (LESS structure)
- $83K salary ($5-10K bonus depending on overall performance; would receive a better title as well; 45-50 work hours per week; no hours requirements)
- Work environment appears to be laid back. I would be given more responsibility and would be responsibile for the review of first-year Associates’ (3) work among other things. All lunches are paid for.

Benefits about the same. 5% 401K match at existing org and 3% match at the other. After factoring in benefits, 401k, etc. the pay increase comes out to about an extra $800 per month. Same location.

ATLien2016

New

Re: Analyzing a new job offer, should I take it?

Post by ATLien2016 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Bump

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 am

how can we answer this without knowing anything about you and your desires

Absent that take the money. I assume you have no real devotion to the non profits cause or you'd have mentioned it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:37 am

The salary jump isnt so significant that I'd immediately say TAKE IT, but if your longterm goals dont really align with the nonprofit then I would say make the jump to the firm.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm

I would stay, because the salary jump is not that much, and the financial issue you mentioned. Without understanding the details, that seems like a major red flag. Your current job seems pretty decent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:10 pm

there seems like there should be better lateral opportunities. at least midlaw - not financially insecure shitlaw.

ATLien2016

New

Post by ATLien2016 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:37 pm

pancakes3 wrote:there seems like there should be better lateral opportunities. at least midlaw - not financially insecure shitlaw.
Yeah to be fair, I got lucky through extensive networking to land my current job seeing as to how I came from a TTT school. Maybe I should hold out and keep looking.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Would definitely hold out. Salary jump isn't worth the transition from reputable non-prof --> shitlaw; unless you happen to be very unhappy currently. Willing to bet that an extra year or two will produce better exit options. Maybe a sweet in-house gig or midlaw

ATLien2016

New

Post by ATLien2016 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:44 pm

magnum_law wrote:Would definitely hold out. Salary jump isn't worth the transition from reputable non-prof --> shitlaw; unless you happen to be very unhappy currently. Willing to bet that an extra year or two will produce better exit options. Maybe a sweet in-house gig or midlaw
Thanks. I will most likely get passed over for a promotion next year at my current job because I am simply not a favorite; even then though, is it still worth sticking it out for another year or so?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:26 pm

are you actively looking to lateral and this is what you have after a couple months of active jobhunting, or is this just an out-of-the-blue offer? it seems like the latter, and i think most other responders itt would agree that if you did the former, you'll have much better offers.

are there other factors at play like you wanting to stay in a certain small market, etc.?

ATLien2016

New

Post by ATLien2016 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:35 pm

pancakes3 wrote:are you actively looking to lateral and this is what you have after a couple months of active jobhunting, or is this just an out-of-the-blue offer? it seems like the latter, and i think most other responders itt would agree that if you did the former, you'll have much better offers.

are there other factors at play like you wanting to stay in a certain small market, etc.?
The latter. A recruiter reached out on LinkedIn, I interviewed and that was that. I’m not going to actively start looking until I am at least two years in.

I’m in a low COL area and after thinking about it more, I don’t think the offer is worth it. The pay bump does not drastically improve my quality of life and the experience I’m getting is awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”