1L looking for advice - when to schedule interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stativus

New

1L looking for advice - when to schedule interview?

Post by stativus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello!

I had an interview with a firm the day before yesterday, and I received an invitation for a callback today. My problem is I flew out of state yesterday for the hols, and getting back on such short notice will be difficult. But considering that the firm did me a solid and got back to me so quickly, is it going to look extremely rude if I tell them I'd like to schedule the callback for January? I really like the firm and the people I met at my initial interview, so if there's even a slight disadvantage to waiting until after New Year's, I will definitely do my best to travel back before Christmas.

I'm an inexperienced 1L so any and all advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

ND2018

New

Re: 1L looking for advice - when to schedule interview?

Post by ND2018 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Is this for a big law 1L SA position? If so, get back in there ASAP. The position may/will be filled by the time you are available after New Year's day. See if the firm will reimburse for travel or even pay for travel (there's a 99pct chance they will).
Last edited by ND2018 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Generally, if you want the job, you should go as soon as possible.

The firm is presumably interviewing other candidates as well. If one of them decided to interview this month, and the firm loves that person, they could make an offer or at least make their decision before even meeting with you in January. Think of the interview process as a "rolling admissions" cycle. There's definitely some downside to waiting.

Also, if it's biglaw, the firm will pay travel expenses from wherever you are. For example, if the firm is in NY, but you're at home in Seattle, just tell the firm you're very interested and you'd love to interview as soon as possible, but you'll have to fly in from Seattle. It'll be a one day trip and they'll cover the hotel/food costs so I definitely recommend going in December.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:52 pm

I was at an east coast law school, and the firm I was most interested in during OCI (and ended up at now post-grad) is in Southern California. I remember getting a phone call on a Tuesday around lunch time about a CB, and they offered to interview me the next morning. You better believe I was on a flight less than 5 hours after getting the CB offer for the exact reasons above.

Ideally, when flying cross-country, I would recommend at least getting on a morning/midday flight so you have the afternoon/evening before your CB to relax in the hotel/prep for interviews/eat the free room service dinner.

stativus

New

Post by stativus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Hello! Thank you all for your input!! I don't think it can be considered a 'big law' firm--it's an IP firm and it's not in the top100 of vault (is it rude to say the name of the firms we're interviewing at? I noticed other people avoided doing so in their posts but I couldn't figure out if it was for plausible deniability or something else), but it is for a 1L diversity position so it probably also adheres to the same rolling considerations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Definitely get back there for a 1L position. There's likely only 1 spot open for a 1L, maybe 2. They'll probably still pay for your travel, but I'd recommend reaching out to the firm/interviewer now about scheduling your interview before replying to this thread.

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:46 pm

PM'd.

stativus

New

Post by stativus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:46 pm

Thank you all for your advice. (: I was lurking on TLS and remembered this thread, so I thought I'd provide an update. I was offered the position and I accepted!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”