Soonest quitting as a first-year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Soonest quitting as a first-year

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:42 pm

What is the soonest any of you have heard of someone quitting biglaw as a first year? Momentarily indulging my fantasy of walking out and never looking back...

jd20132013

Silver

Re: Soonest quitting as a first-year

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:43 pm

any time under a year would be weird to "quit" (as opposed to moving to something that's better) but if you can afford it somehow who cares

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:44 pm

jd20132013 wrote:any time under a year would be weird to "quit" (as opposed to moving to something that's better) but if you can afford it somehow who cares
I know I am just curious as to your stories and anything funny/interesting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the soonest any of you have heard of someone quitting biglaw as a first year? Momentarily indulging my fantasy of walking out and never looking back...
When I was a first year one of my fellow first years quit about 2-3 weeks in. It was stunning. Most of us hadn't even finished training and gotten real first assignments yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 pm

One colleague quit 6 months in to become a law professor. Pretty sweet exit there.

Not fitting the topic, but another was fired after several months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the soonest any of you have heard of someone quitting biglaw as a first year? Momentarily indulging my fantasy of walking out and never looking back...
When I was a first year one of my fellow first years quit about 2-3 weeks in. It was stunning. Most of us hadn't even finished training and gotten real first assignments yet.
Just out of curiosity, what did they end up doing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:50 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what did they end up doing?
I don't think they had a job for a while. Eventually they found something vaguely public policy/non-profit/think tank-y but that took like over a year and I don't think it pays a ton. I would guess they didn't have as much debt as I do but I didn't get the sense they were super rich or had none. Seemed like a bad outcome. We had another person get fired like 9 months in for performance issues. They never really got anything else.

It's bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm

How do you not even make it a month in? That's the easiest month!

We have a guy leave about 8 months in because his group was absolutely brutal. Didn't have a single weekend off, crazy hours, and one partner in particular was a complete jerk to him. Went to another biglaw firm though, but I think is a lot happier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 pm

The first month was great! I remember building a lot of marshmallow towers for "team building exercises".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:18 pm

What were the performance issues? Low hours?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What were the performance issues? Low hours?
No absolutely not. Most everyone involved thought the person deserved to be fired from what I heard. This person had personality issues. More importantly, they disappeared at certain key points in major deals with little explanation. They were warned and did it again within days of the warning.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Someone rage quit 6 months in. Started in January, and at like 11pm in May, he sent a long, rambling, angry email to the summer class about how much big law ruins your life and how he was destined to be a photographer. And he told them all to quit immediately and to "not make the same mistakes I did."

And then he just walked out and never came back. Apparently some people still talk to him and he's doing better now.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Yeah I know a couple ppl who quit after like 3 or 4 months. One always wanted to do PD work and got picked up immediately. One became a professional gambler.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 pm

I knew someone in a big group in a big firm that just stopped showing up.

They paid him for 3 months before firing him, and then he got 3 months severance to look for a job.

Outright quitting is wasting free money.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:21 pm

I quit with no job lined up (after about 4-5 years in biglaw though). I relaxed for awhile and then eventually got a public sector job. It pays little but life is much better. To supplement my income, I dabble in trading and am doing ok (gains of around high five 5 figs this year). Eventually, I'm thinking of doing something more entrepreneurial.

If you are OK with never returning to the legal private sector, quitting with no job lined up is perfectly fine. However, you should never burn bridges - government jobs will call all of your references and ask if you were fired, what your reputation is, etc. It is better to leave money on the table and quit on your own terms than be fired.

If you are thinking of leaving law altogether, then I don't think having a gap on your resume matters at all.

I think a lot of people in law are just extremely risk averse and are unwilling to make changes in their life unless they are 100% certain of the outcome. If you are really unhappy and are financially stable enough (i.e., no student loans, have some savings, can live with parents for awhile), then quitting with no job to find something you want to do is fine IMO. I, obviously, am biased and much more of a risk taker than most lawyers. But I strongly believe that if you are reluctant to change your life, then you will be stuck forever. So save up some money, or if you are financially OK, figure out what you want to do and do it. It's not the end of the world to leave law - most lawyers end up doing it anyway.

Note - I am not recommending quitting if you have loans. But quitting with no job lined up is not the end of the world.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 pm

shock259 wrote:Someone rage quit 6 months in. Started in January, and at like 11pm in May, he sent a long, rambling, angry email to the summer class about how much big law ruins your life and how he was destined to be a photographer. And he told them all to quit immediately and to "not make the same mistakes I did."

And then he just walked out and never came back. Apparently some people still talk to him and he's doing better now.
I need this email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
shock259 wrote:Someone rage quit 6 months in. Started in January, and at like 11pm in May, he sent a long, rambling, angry email to the summer class about how much big law ruins your life and how he was destined to be a photographer. And he told them all to quit immediately and to "not make the same mistakes I did."

I need this email
Shockingly, I am in possession of said email but did not summer at this firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

I need this email

Pm me the text please, don't need any identifying info

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:14 am

jd20132013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

I need this email

Ooh would love a pm. Or just post the email and redact as necessary! :D

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:16 am

Yeah just post it. What could possibly go wrong?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:54 am

almondjoy wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

I need this email

Ooh would love a pm. Or just post the email and redact as necessary! :D
Omg yes post it or pm me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 am

Ok I win this thread. FOUR DAYS. This associate did not make it a full week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:13 am

I quit after 4 days as well cuz I got a higher paying job that turned out to be life sucking.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:11 am

Sorry for fighting the hypo here... Buddy quit as a summer.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:14 am

Multiple people quit within the first year that I started: at least 1 lateral within NYC; multiple laterals to different states or countries; and at least 1 realizing very quickly that big law was not for them (I think it took more than 4 days if I remember correctly). Following up on the above, I also know a handful that rode out the summer, but did not accept offers to go to banking or McK instead.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”