Soonest quitting as a first-year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Soonest quitting as a first-year

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Anyone regret going into law at this point already?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:32 pm

[deleted]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone regret going into law at this point already?
Me!

Already doing interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Me!

You lateraling already? Could you share more on what you're interviewing for? Curious for my own sake. Been getting deluged with work and not clear on when I'll get a break, if ever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Me!

You lateraling already? Could you share more on what you're interviewing for? Curious for my own sake. Been getting deluged with work and not clear on when I'll get a break, if ever.
I've done a couple of iBanking interviews, a quasi-legal in house transactional role, and a couple others. Not looking at lateraling really. I was looking at one point but the stub year market is dead.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I've done a couple of iBanking interviews, a quasi-legal in house transactional role, and a couple others. Not looking at lateraling really. I was looking at one point but the stub year market is dead.
I assume you are in a major market? How is the market for that sort of thing (non law role for newly minted JDs)

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a question for the anon OP considering going back to a sales role:
I'm considering a big law gig or taking a sales role in a large, well-known tech firm. The job is similar to an account manager type position where you work with clients and have sales quotas to meet each year. Salary is around 120k, 40k signing bonus, and stock. I'm wondering whether it's worth taking this job over big law. My hesitation is sales and whether it leads to good exit opportunities (say I want to work in strategy/operations or some other business role later). I don't mind not practicing law, I just want to choose the career that leads to good future opportunities and ideally doesn't have crazy hours like big law.
-Assumings your big tech firm is a LinkedIn, Amazon, Salesforce, etc... you'll very likely keep pace with biglaw comp through to senior associate, but you'll likely never make biglaw partner compensation unless you make VP of Sales (you'll still make less than biglaw partner comp but there are tons of Sales VPs in Big Tech that are printing $500k-$600k).
Biglaw partners in (some markets) at (some firms) might make more than a VP of Sales, but who do you think, on average, works more? I bet dollar per hour the VP of Sales works half as much.

Plus, don't forget, partners, no matter the size of the firm, are essential salesmen themselves. After all, if they can't sell their practice, they'll never make partner to begin with or take home a percentage of the business they can manage to bring in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Me!

I've done a couple of iBanking interviews, a quasi-legal in house transactional role, and a couple others. Not looking at lateraling really. I was looking at one point but the stub year market is dead.
Well more power to you. I feel like walking out some days. Today is one of those days. Drained, tired, wishing I had the weekend to recharge but I don't, unsure when it's going to get better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Sort of curious about the quasi-legal in-house role... I suppose you can't share too many details, though. Is it a contracts manager type position?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sort of curious about the quasi-legal in-house role... I suppose you can't share too many details, though. Is it a contracts manager type position?

Corporate development with the idea I could negotiate NDA's, do some diligence, and other legal stuff but do primarily valuation work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sort of curious about the quasi-legal in-house role... I suppose you can't share too many details, though. Is it a contracts manager type position?

Corporate development with the idea I could negotiate NDA's, do some diligence, and other legal stuff but do primarily valuation work.
Update - took an IR/legal hybrid role at an investment fund. Really just need to shoot out those apps.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 pm

^Congratulations! How are you liking it? Also, hard to keep track of all the anon OPs. Are you now a second year, or were you a stub who is just 6 months into big law right now?

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 pm

^Congratulations! How are you liking it? Also, hard to keep track of all the anon OPs. Are you now a second year, or were you a stub who is just 6 months into big law right now?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paperrev

New

Post by paperrev » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Update - took an IR/legal hybrid role at an investment fund. Really just need to shoot out those apps.
Hi Anon. I'm also very curious about your move to this new role. Would it be okay if I shoot you a PM?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Yugihoe wrote:^Congratulations! How are you liking it? Also, hard to keep track of all the anon OPs. Are you now a second year, or were you a stub who is just 6 months into big law right now?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 pm

Any other first years have a classmate quit already?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 pm

Someone at my firm quit after two weeks and decided to back to his job before law school. So it happens.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lagamemnon

New

Post by lagamemnon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:43 am

my hours have been brutal recently and hearing about other people quitting early is, unironically, extremely satisfying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:39 pm

cron1834 wrote:Any other first years have a classmate quit already?
Yeah a girl in my class did. Apparently she had a breakdown. Biglaw secondary market fwiw

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 pm

After a pretty steady and enjoyable January, I have about 30 hours this month. I'm bored and also worried about having to play catchup the rest of the year. Not super enthused.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:15 pm

5 months in, definitely starting to realize that BigLaw is a bad deal.

I'm no stranger to working long hours. But working unpredictable hours? It's completely demoralizing. I'm chained to my phone. There are days (actually, most days) where I do nothing until 4pm and then get hit with a 5-hour project that HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT NOW.

I can't plan anything. I used to love hiking, but the thought of being away from email for 4 hours gives me anxiety.

Yeah, the money is nice, but I honestly don't think it's worth it. I'm not building towards anything. I don't get ownership in the law firm. And the money is not life-changing...I can't afford to buy a house in the city I grew up in on a BigLaw salary. Maybe it would have been different/worth it 10-15 years ago? Also, what's even the point of the money if I don't have time to spend it?

Seriously considering taking a 50% pay cut to do something else. Maybe take on a business role where I can help build a company and actually get ownership in it.

v100 non-NYC corporate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:59 pm

Well first of all a fifty percent pay cut from biglaw is an immense amount of money lol. But in any case I always advise folks to make it a year unless they're like...near a breakdown. Get your bonus and see if you don't get better at it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 am

How common is poor management in law firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:36 pm

What kind of jobs are out there for a first year quitting right now? (So about 7 months in). I would actually take a pay cut even down to $120k if it meant 9-6 or 9-7 with no weekend work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How common is poor management in law firms?
I'd imagine very (I'm at a firm dealing with this). I'm quitting as soon as I line ANYTHING up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”