I don't know what to do. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I don't know what to do.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm a 2L transfer student (TTTT ---> T20) without a job. Today I officially got the last rejection that I was holding out hope for. I have had multiple interviews and call backs but have been unable to land a job. I have been mass mailing far and wide, and have received no interest at all from these communications. I have been watching my school's job board and applying to literally everything I see come up. But I have had no luck.

I'm completely lost as to what to do, I know everyone on here is going to say "keep mass mailing", but I feel like that's a waste of my time at this point. Since the middle of October over 95% of mass mail has been responded with something along the lines of "our summer program is full". The other 5% have been gotten a response of "thanks but no thanks". Does anyone have any advise besides to keep mass mailing? Is there anything I can do at this point? Or am I basically now stuck and have no possible future?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Re: I don't know what to do.

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 pm

More small firms and opportunities will open up in the spring. A lot of places are much slower than the big law timeline.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm

There's no magic bullet. Keep applying. Also, look to your home market. You may find small and midsized firms (who often hire close to summer) impressed by your T20 degree and willing to bring you on.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:35 pm

Biglaw isn't the only future.
Small/midsized firms, clerkships, govt stuff.
Network.
If you're at WUSTL feel free to PM me.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Take some time off from the job hunt and get back into it in January.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:19 am

Reach out to undergrad and LS alums.

ausimpv

New

Post by ausimpv » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:58 am

Things open up late, particularly a lot of in house positions. I’ve been seeing a lot of opportunities like that lately on LinkedIn, google, etc.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:16 pm

doing things that feel like a waste of your time is what ppl mean when they say "you have to hustle."

everybody massmails from July-Dec of their 2L years. That's not hustle - that's just the norm. Since you struck out, you have to do extra. Or not. whatever.

lowenjo

New

Post by lowenjo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:29 pm

lolwat wrote:Biglaw isn't the only future.
Small/midsized firms, clerkships, govt stuff.
Network.
If you're at WUSTL feel free to PM me.
Ditto to what this user said. Had a similar situation (TTT ---> T20), graduated without a Job, moved back to my region and successfully found a job in my field pretty quickly. Again, if you are at WUSTL, or anywhere for that matter, i'm happy to help.

pianoman4

New

Post by pianoman4 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Contact alumni in you target market and ask them to coffee or just a phone call informational interview. It may not result in a job immediately but will definitely help in the longer run.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”