Unpaid 2L summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unpaid 2L summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi all. Wondering what you think about my situation:

4th in the class at a top-30 school; journal, no moot court. Put all my eggs in the OCI basket but struck out, so I'm feeling a little hopeless about the coming summer. Previous summer at a big-city DA's office, enjoyed it but -- again, thinking I'd be going biglaw -- didn't apply for the rule 9 (limited appearance) program. I have a good contact in that office who I think genuinely wants to see me succeed and is willing to help. Also considering/in the midst of applying for post-grad A3 clerkships, and will start applying for state court positions relatively soon.

The local AUSA's office does unpaid summer positions, which I think would be good experience. There are a good number of unpaid positions still floating around, but another summer without pay would be hard.

I don't have my heart set on any specific path right now, but that might be because the lack of success has me feeling hopeless. I think the most ideal position would be one in which I can pay off my loans, i.e., big-law. But I recognize that may not be a possibility any longer.

Thoughts?

cron1834

Gold

Re: Unpaid 2L summer?

Post by cron1834 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 pm

I wouldn’t give up on a paid summer yet if you’re 4th in your class at a decent school. Even a mid sized firm would be preferable to an unpaid, 1L-type gig. Just my $.02.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Definitely gun for A3 clerkships, especially local districts where your professors might have some ties or you have an alumn network.

I wouldn't give up on paid summers yet either. Keep mass mailing. What was the problem at OCI? Did you get a bunch of screener interviews and failed to convert them into callbacks/offers?

If you didn't get many screeners, the problem is probably something on your resume.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all. Wondering what you think about my situation:

4th in the class at a top-30 school; journal, no moot court. Put all my eggs in the OCI basket but struck out, so I'm feeling a little hopeless about the coming summer. Previous summer at a big-city DA's office, enjoyed it but -- again, thinking I'd be going biglaw -- didn't apply for the rule 9 (limited appearance) program. I have a good contact in that office who I think genuinely wants to see me succeed and is willing to help. Also considering/in the midst of applying for post-grad A3 clerkships, and will start applying for state court positions relatively soon.

The local AUSA's office does unpaid summer positions, which I think would be good experience. There are a good number of unpaid positions still floating around, but another summer without pay would be hard.

I don't have my heart set on any specific path right now, but that might be because the lack of success has me feeling hopeless. I think the most ideal position would be one in which I can pay off my loans, i.e., big-law. But I recognize that may not be a possibility any longer.

Thoughts?
Apply in-house anywhere and everywhere (many hire later). Chances are you'll get paid decent and you have at least a fighting chance to get a job there OR segway yourself for looking for a 3L OCI job or work on clerkships.

Seriously type in "legal intern" in linkedin under jobs and basically apply to every position. If your T30 is OSU - Quantum Health is looking for a legal intern in house.

claptrap

New

Post by claptrap » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Based on some of the things mentioned in your post, I suspect I know which market you're in (same one I went to law school in).

I did an unpaid externship at the USAO there and it was probably one of the more useful things I did in law school in terms of my future employment prospects (public sector, not biglaw).

Feel free to PM me if you want more detail.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:05 pm

gunning for clerkships, mass-mailing, and trying to find a paid gig are all nonexclusive.

[unpaid] bigfed is an ok summer gig, but you still have to hustle and getting a BL offer 3L year isn't out of the question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”