Calling attorney you're replacing? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Calling attorney you're replacing?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:04 am

Considering a lateral move; biglaw in secondary market. The position is open because someone left (not fired, according to another associate at firm at least). I figured out who it was and kind of want to call the guy who left to hear his thoughts on the position, not specifically why he left but hoping it'll come up. Has anyone done this? Was it helpful?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Calling attorney you're replacing?

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 am

I did. The guy was super cagey and it was just awkward.

ur_hero

Bronze

Re: Calling attorney you're replacing?

Post by ur_hero » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:12 pm

It won't hurt to try probably . . . But if it were me you were calling, I probably wouldn't want to (a) directly, if at all, say anything negative to a stranger on a cold call (i.e., you may not get the full/honest picture); or (b) spend the time to give open and thoughtful insight to a stranger on a cold call. It's one thing to be at a networking or alumni event, but cold calling people is just awkward and inconvenient.

It will likely be awkward and not super sincere, but that being said, you can probably still force out of him a bit of insight on the kind of stuff you work on, office hours, etc. if you keep it quick. I doubt it'll be anything super worth it though.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”