Hey Everyone, Is This Right? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hey Everyone, Is This Right?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:05 am

Hi All,

I’m a first year, and I was just wondering if my pay makes sense or there’s something I should do to tweak my withholdings, etc. I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, I’m just quite a novice when it comes to taxes.

I’m in NYC making 180K (in theory), so roughly 7K twice a month, but my takeaway is only half that- I make a bit less than 3500 twice a week.

I’m married, and my health insurance payments are about $200.

I’d appreciate any insight you guys could provide! Again I apologize if this is obvious- I thought the tax rate was around 40%, not 50.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Hey Everyone, Is This Right?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi All,

I’m a first year, and I was just wondering if my pay makes sense or there’s something I should do to tweak my withholdings, etc. I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, I’m just quite a novice when it comes to taxes.

I’m in NYC making 180K (in theory), so roughly 7K twice a month (although that only seems to add up to 168K unless I’m missing something), but my takeaway is only half that- I make a bit less than 3500 twice a week.

I’d appreciate any insight you guys could provide! Again I apologize if this is obvious- I thought the tax rate was around 40%, not 50.
If you're getting paid ~7k every two weeks the math adds up - 7k*26 weeks=182k. You also have to take into account state tax, city tax, and 401k contributions, if any.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I’m in NYC making 180K (in theory), so roughly 7K twice a month (although that only seems to add up to 168K unless I’m missing something), but my takeaway is only half that- I make a bit less than 3500 twice a week.

If you're getting paid ~7k every two weeks the math adds up - 7k*26 weeks=182k. You also have to take into account state tax, city tax, and 401k contributions, if any.
Ah, okay thanks for clearing that part up- I removed in from my initial post- no 401k contribution on my part yet because I’m still trying to figure out how to afford it.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 am

How many personal exemptions did you claim on your W2?

You should be looking forward to a pretty fat tax return.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:How many personal exemptions did you claim on your W2?

I claimed 2- I’d like to get the money now instead of a return if possible (just bec I don’t think Uncle Sam needs another interest free loan)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It’s unclear if this person gets paid every other week or twice a month (so 24 pay periods). It should be $7500 if you’re getting paid bi-monthly. Idk if firms do every other week, but I’ve only heard bi-monthly.
Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I claimed 2- I’d like to get the money now instead of a return if possible (just bec I don’t think Uncle Sam needs another interest free loan)
You’ll likely get a lot back. You’re being taxed like you’ll make 180 this year, but (assuming you’re a stub year) you’ll make significantly less.
Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Why don't you check your Pay Statements on the online system?

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Mr. Peanutbutter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You’ll likely get a lot back. You’re being taxed like you’ll make 180 this year, but (assuming you’re a stub year) you’ll make significantly less.
This. You'll get a nice tax return next year.

But 3500 still seems low...Check your pay statement to see what's being taken out and for what (i.e., federal/state taxes; health care; dental; health savings account; pension/profit-sharing plan....etc.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EliotAlderson

New

Post by EliotAlderson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm

Did your firm give you a salary advance before you started? Gets paid back with post tax dollars and hurts a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:15 pm

I'm also at around $3500, but I can chalk it up to a ridiculously expensive health insurance plan and paying back $$ per pay check for the bar loan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”