GPA Drop Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GPA Drop

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:14 am

Hi everyone,

Currently a 2L at T-14. I know much has been written on this, but I wanted to get some fresh responses on the question of GPA drop during your second year and to what extent it affects your chances of getting an offer at the end. I have had some personal issues to deal with this semester and I felt terrible walking out of my exams last week. I'm going to be summering at a V10 firm in DC this summer. How much of a drop is seen as okay? This is premature because I haven't gotten my grades but I just thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Re: GPA Drop

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:47 am

At my NYC V10, some dude apparently got a D+ his 3L and he's still an associate at the firm. Firms at that level go for full offer rates, and no one cares about your transcript except to check that you've graduated. Maybe they'll use it as an excuse if the economy turns south or if you're a really bad summer associate, but generally I wouldn't worry about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:22 am

Also interested in this. I can see GPA drops as a 3L not being that big of a deal because you have an offer in hand, but what about 2L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:39 am

My v50 in DC required 2L transcripts during the summer and explicitly used them to cold-offer a summer in an already small summer class. I don't know how bad his grades were, or if it was a pretext for shitty work product, etc, but the reason they gave him was because of his grades.

Just fyi. Can happen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:19 pm

I don't think I'll get any grades below a B+,but not getting any As my 2L year doesn't look good imo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think I'll get any grades below a B+,but not getting any As my 2L year doesn't look good imo.
LOL, ok

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:29 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't think I'll get any grades below a B+,but not getting any As my 2L year doesn't look good imo.
LOL, ok
My thinking is that firms expect you to do better your 2L year because the curve is more lenient.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
LOL, ok
My thinking is that firms expect you to do better your 2L year because the curve is more lenient.
shoo shoo troll go away!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
LOL, ok
Do they also sincerely value your academic work on a secondary journal?

Just trying to keep up with what really matters here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm not trolling anyone. I don't know how this stuff works and I was asking a genuine question. I did well my first year, mostly As, and I'm concerned how it will look if I don't get any know. I still have next semester but I guess I'm just worried about a significant grade drop demonstrating a lack of effort on my part. Thank you for your comments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not trolling anyone. I don't know how this stuff works and I was asking a genuine question. I did well my first year, mostly As, and I'm concerned how it will look if I don't get any know. I still have next semester but I guess I'm just worried about a significant grade drop demonstrating a lack of effort on my part. Thank you for your comments.
Don’t stress it. If you did really well 1L then you’ll probably do well 2L even with very little effort. Also, my firm didn’t ask for an updated transcript.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Thank you!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:32 pm

If you're not getting anything lower than a B+, then there's nothing to worry about. Ppl freak out when they have like a C+. Maybe if you went to a shitty school it would be different, but at a T14, staying B+ and above is out of worrisome territory.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”