Compliance Roles at Banks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Compliance Roles at Banks

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Can people who have worked or currently work in compliance roles at banks please chime in and discuss their experience?

I follow some people on linkedin and see that career trajectory looks pretty decent with people moving up quickly (2-3 years) from roles like VP to Deputy head, to global head in groups like financial crime compliance, sanctions, or AML, etc.

Is the job pretty chill 9-5? Do you enjoy your work? What does compensation look like?

I know that leaving big law to a job like this probably means the end of your legal career, but I wasn't that thrilled about practicing anyway.

Anonymous User

Re: Compliance Roles at Banks

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:03 pm

bump

I have an interview with an investment bank for a compliance position. Currently a financial fraud litigator. Love the work but looking for a change of pace. If I receive an offer, what sort of exit options do these jobs offer? Can I move around within the firm? I don't want to box myself out of future opportunities.

Also, what's the day to day like? Hours? What sort of salary should I expect?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump

I have an interview with an investment bank for a compliance position. Currently a financial fraud litigator. Love the work but looking for a change of pace. If I receive an offer, what sort of exit options do these jobs offer? Can I move around within the firm? I don't want to box myself out of future opportunities.

I was in compliance for several years at large bank - I can only speak to my personal experience (and I am much happier having left).
  • Exit options: Same work at a different organization, regulators, consulting, probably some in-house (though I didn't really see it)
  • Internal movement: Maybe? Likely depends on how senior you are. I do know people who moved around, but they were very junior - I think you had to stay in any position for six months before you could transfer. It's also a pretty small world, so I strongly recommend against burning bridges.
  • Day-to-day: Depends A LOT on your group. Some are very much 9-5, work from home a few days a week, etc. Others have long hours and can be stressful.
  • Pay: Depends a lot on the bank, location, and level. I've got guesses if you want to get more specific...
TL;DR: A friend and I agreed that it would be a great job if we were 45ish and wanted to focus on family etc or retire in situ.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I was in compliance for several years at large bank - I can only speak to my personal experience (and I am much happier having left).
  • Exit options: Same work at a different organization, regulators, consulting, probably some in-house (though I didn't really see it)
  • Internal movement: Maybe? Likely depends on how senior you are. I do know people who moved around, but they were very junior - I think you had to stay in any position for six months before you could transfer. It's also a pretty small world, so I strongly recommend against burning bridges.
  • Day-to-day: Depends A LOT on your group. Some are very much 9-5, work from home a few days a week, etc. Others have long hours and can be stressful.
  • Pay: Depends a lot on the bank, location, and level. I've got guesses if you want to get more specific...
TL;DR: A friend and I agreed that it would be a great job if we were 45ish and wanted to focus on family etc or retire in situ.
Thanks for the reply. Where did you end up going? One of my friends had a position and ended up going in house to a big bank (BoA, Wells Fargo).

As for more details, it's an investment bank in NYC. Think Morgan, Goldman. VP position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Where did you end up going? One of my friends had a position and ended up going in house to a big bank (BoA, Wells Fargo).

As for more details, it's an investment bank in NYC. Think Morgan, Goldman. VP position.
I'm at a firm now.

Wouldn't surprise me if they offer around $120k, though that'll likely depend on your experience. Bonuses are okay but nowhere near firms. No billables, likely 401k matching, health insurance is middling across the street, as far as I could tell.

The more removed you are from the business, the easier the hours (in my experience) but I think those were the jobs most at risk of downsizing or moving to cheaper locales.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at a firm now.

Wouldn't surprise me if they offer around $120k, though that'll likely depend on your experience. Bonuses are okay but nowhere near firms. No billables, likely 401k matching, health insurance is middling across the street, as far as I could tell.

The more removed you are from the business, the easier the hours (in my experience) but I think those were the jobs most at risk of downsizing or moving to cheaper locales.
Any chance I'd be able to PM you? Not OP, btw. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at a firm now.

Come up with a name and I'll pm you.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Think I am OP on this (but can't remember since it was December).

Mind PMing me? Curious about the juniors you knew in these roles. Is 120k for big law juniors (i.e. 2nd-3rd years?) and before bonus. What's the trajectory and income growth for people advancing up to VP and Director (which seems to happen relatively quickly).

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at a firm now.

Done

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:17 am

Thread bumper here.

Can the info not stay solely within PMs? There's already a dearth of info. It would be beneficial if you could sanitize the info and put it in the main thread.

I'm also curious about interviews, etc. I'll post my experience here for others when I have something to report.

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at a firm now.

Any chance you could PM me as well?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”